Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * - - 2 votes

The Class Photo that Broke a Motherís Heart


  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

Quote


    The Class Photo that Broke a Mother’s Heart

It's one of those things that you don't get, until you get it. Unless you are eternally empathetic, you look at this photo and don't see much wrong at all.

To Anne Belanger, mother of Miles, the photo is unbearable to look at.

When the class portrait for her son's Grade 2 class came home, she opened it excitedly, and immediately shoved it back in the envelope. She couldn't look at it. It broke her heart.

Anne's son, Miles, has Spinal Muscular Atrophy. At the age of 13 months, his parents were told that Miles would never walk, he has spent his life in a wheelchair.

Miles knows he's different than the rest of the kids, but he still tries to fit in. So there he is, on the far side of the image, neck craning as far as he can to stretch into the frame with the rest of his friends. He's beaming. It's school picture day and he's thrilled.

*Snip*


From: http://shine.yahoo.c...-141700823.html


This story brought tears to my eyes.... :cry:
What a sweet smile, that little boy has! I think we can all learn something from this article.....

Edited by Still Waters, 19 June 2013 - 06:02 PM.
Shortened amount of copied text


#2    aztek

aztek

    Alien Abducter

  • Member
  • 5,329 posts
  • Joined:12 Nov 2006

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

there has been too  many thing wrong with schools lately.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#3    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

    jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

  • Member
  • 3,607 posts
  • Joined:27 May 2011

  • It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

The school had nothing to do with that but the privately owned photography company made that decision there and then. You can even see they moved him as close as possible.

They already took another class photo where the student sat with the other students. Read about it earlier.

None of us were there and do not know if the student was asked that in the first place and declined or not...in either case it has been resolved.

Edited by The world needs you, 19 June 2013 - 04:50 PM.


#4    Sakari

Sakari

    tohi

  • Member
  • 11,926 posts
  • Joined:16 Aug 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Safford, Arizona

  • Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

Saw this on home page. He was put as close as possible to the benchs ( the wheelchair ). I do not think anyone did anything on purpose. How many people take pics, to later look at them and realize it was a horrible setting?

Pussification of America.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm


#5    Bama13

Bama13

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Joined:09 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just Southeast of God's country

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:11 PM

View PostThe world needs you, on 19 June 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

The school had nothing to do with that but the privately owned photography company made that decision there and then. You can even see they moved him as close as possible.

They already took another class photo where the student sat with the other students. Read about it earlier.

None of us were there and do not know if the student was asked that in the first place and declined or not...in either case it has been resolved.

Hmm...my limited experience with professional photographers was different. They can make suggestions but, as the customer, I made the final decisions.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#6    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

    BugWhisperer

  • Member
  • 4,550 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tejas

  • "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

Good going, Mom. No one asked the other kids whether they wanted to sit with the group touching shoulders with their peers, or stand off to the side.
Yes, the father's words and Footnote are true! But, no one noticing except Mom? Is troublesome. Special needs kids have been included in regular classrooms for a long time. Teachers and photographers should be sensitive to things like this by now. Even the standing teacher is inside the benches. If anyone cuts the photo to fit a frame who gets left out?

It doesn't matter to some unless you are the one having to advocate for your special needs child ALL the time, in school/out of school. No one realizes the trials and battles parents of special needs students have gone through. Even this "little" thing is far from "little". It's reflective of how far we still need to go.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 19 June 2013 - 05:30 PM.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#7    pallidin

pallidin

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,175 posts
  • Joined:09 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Somewhere south of the North Pole

  • "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

Maybe it's just me(quite possibly), but I don't see anything wrong with pic.

Like was said, the wheelchair appears to be positioned as close as possible to the bleacher bench.

Now, could he have been positioned in front of the bleacher, at center, with the center lower students moved to the side?

Sure, and that would have been a great pic. But I just don't see anything "apologetically" wrong with the one shown.


#8    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

    jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

  • Member
  • 3,607 posts
  • Joined:27 May 2011

  • It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

View PostBama13, on 19 June 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:



Hmm...my limited experience with professional photographers was different. They can make suggestions but, as the customer, I made the final decisions.

Quote

Ambridge said he blames the photographer, not the school, for the error. But he understands the photographer was likely under a time crunch and simply didn’t pause to think about making the photo more inclusive.

“It’s wrong, but it doesn’t mean it was intentional,” he said. “It just means that somebody dropped the ball for a moment and that can be incredibly hurtful.”

On Thursday, school photography company Lifetouch Canada acknowledged their photographer made a mistake in the composition of the photo. The company retook the class photo earlier this week and is working to have the photo printed and delivered to Miles’s parents early next week.

“People make mistakes and unfortunately this one has had a very lasting effect on both of the parents, the school and Lifetouch,” said regional sales manager Greg Tarapaski, who declined to comment on whether the photographer has been fired or suspended.

School principal Tracy Fulton declined to comment on the situation on Friday, but in a previous interview said the school would no longer be using Lifetouch for their student photos. The decision to change photographers was made before Miles’s parents raised an issue with their son’s photo, she said.

“We had several comments from teachers who said they just didn’t feel that they had taken the time,” said Fulton in a previous interview.

In the new photo, Miles was taken out of his wheelchair and placed on a bench beside a classmate with his caregiver supporting him on the outside edge of the photo.

http://www.theprovin...html?id=8528896

Unsure if having an adult caregiver in the photo is a truly better alternative?


#9    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

    jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

  • Member
  • 3,607 posts
  • Joined:27 May 2011

  • It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

Are class photos public? As a parent would feel uneasy over having another parent choose to take a class photo and have it published. Did they ask all the parents beforehand?


#10    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 19 June 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

Good going, Mom. No one asked the other kids whether they wanted to sit with the group touching shoulders with their peers, or stand off to the side.
Yes, the father's words and Footnote are true! But, no one noticing except Mom? Is troublesome. Special needs kids have been included in regular classrooms for a long time. Teachers and photographers should be sensitive to things like this by now. Even the standing teacher is inside the benches. If anyone cuts the photo to fit a frame who gets left out?

It doesn't matter to some unless you are the one having to advocate for your special needs child ALL the time, in school/out of school. No one realizes the trials and battles parents of special needs students have gone through. Even this "little" thing is far from "little". It's reflective of how far we still need to go.

I know. My little nephew is autistic, and she had to battle the school he was going to constantly. It was exasperating for her. In the end she just ended pulling him out, at the advice of his physical and occupational therapists, because the school was causing him to regress.....
I've worked with special needs kids, in the past, and I have to tell you, we do have a long way to go on this. Glad everything worked out for them though.
I don't think anyone did this one purpose, it was an accident, not done out of maliciousness, or anything, they just weren't thinking, which is the whole problem.


#11    Sakari

Sakari

    tohi

  • Member
  • 11,926 posts
  • Joined:16 Aug 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Safford, Arizona

  • Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

View PostKowalski, on 19 June 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

- post removed -


You read that reply wrong...

They were saying parents of the other kids may not want that photo being made public, as their kids are in it. Not because he is in it.

Little sensitive aren't we :)

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm


#12    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

    BugWhisperer

  • Member
  • 4,550 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tejas

  • "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

View PostKowalski, on 19 June 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

I know. My little nephew is autistic, and she had to battle the school he was going to constantly. It was exasperating for her. In the end she just ended pulling him out, at the advice of his physical and occupational therapists, because the school was causing him to regress.....
I've worked with special needs kids, in the past, and I have to tell you, we do have a long way to go on this. Glad everything worked out for them though.
I don't think anyone did this one purpose, it was an accident, not done out of maliciousness, or anything, they just weren't thinking, which is the whole problem.

Agreed. This little boy is a child not a wheelchair. All one needs to ask and all parents want others to ask is :"What are the other kids doing? Can he be accommodated to do it too?" So he doesn't stand out from the group which parents fight so hard against.

"Sidelines" has never been used as an inclusive term.

Nothing changes unless people speak up, unafraid to advocate for their kids, no matter how others look at their efforts and emotional involvement.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 19 June 2013 - 06:13 PM.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#13    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 19 June 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

Agreed. This little boy is a child not a wheelchair. All one needs to ask and all parents ask is :"What are the other kids doing? Can he be accommodated to do it too?" So he doesn't stand out from the group which parents fight so hard against.

I know. I was in tears reading the story. It broke my heart seeing that little kid singled out from the rest of the class. It wasn't right.


#14    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

View PostSakari, on 19 June 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

You read that reply wrong...

They were saying parents of the other kids may not want that photo being made public, as their kids are in it. Not because he is in it.

Little sensitive aren't we :)

The other kid's faces were blurred out in the published photo.

Maybe I am a little overly sensitive when it comes to the subject of special needs to kids, but I think that's just a normal, motherly reaction....


#15    Sakari

Sakari

    tohi

  • Member
  • 11,926 posts
  • Joined:16 Aug 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Safford, Arizona

  • Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

View PostKowalski, on 19 June 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

The other kid's faces were blurred out in the published photo.

Maybe I am a little overly sensitive when it comes to the subject of special needs to kids, but I think that's just a normal, motherly reaction....

It is. I have orginized several charity events for Autism, so I have empathy.

Just wanted to help calm you down is all :)

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users