Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Will NASA asteroid mission be cancelled ?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,001 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

House Republicans are contemplating whether to push for a Moon base instead of visiting an asteroid.

NBC News said:

House Republican leaders want to push for outposts on the moon and Mars — and they want to push NASA's plan to snare an asteroid into the dustbin, according to a discussion draft of their space spending plan.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    trancelikestate

trancelikestate

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

My votes for the moon base. It'll be the next step towards the colonization of space. This is an exciting concept.

#3    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

• “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.” A.A Milne

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

Logic says moon base.  If we set up a permanent base on the moon, it would be much easier to launch space missions.  They could develop space vessels on the moon and launch them without all the drama of gravity and atmosphere.  Once we can launch ships from the moon, then we look for an asteroid.

#4    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,880 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

It seems liek there are a lot of commercial enterprises looking to set up a moon base so NASA should go after the asteroid since teh moon base concept looks to be going forward regardless.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#5    marcos anthony toledo

marcos anthony toledo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

How about pooling our resources by entering into coalition with other spacefaring nations to explore space. This would spread the costs and risks making a moon-mars bases more affordable.

#6    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,880 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

View Postmarcos anthony toledo, on 20 June 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

How about pooling our resources by entering into coalition with other spacefaring nations to explore space. This would spread the costs and risks making a moon-mars bases more affordable.

I believe NASA has already stated that they would be willing to partner up on a moon mission but did not want to be the lead agency.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#7    Papagiorgio

Papagiorgio

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

• I'm just saying.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

How about we give NASA more funding, and they can do both.

I'm just saying.

#8    Collateral Damage

Collateral Damage

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

• "Anti-Americanism is a pure totalitarian concept. The very notion is idiotic."

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostPapagiorgio, on 20 June 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

How about we give NASA more funding, and they can do both.
You read my mind. Perhaps that 3+Billion/year to Israel should be going to much greater causes... That's just my opinion, though.

Undated letter from J.F.K. said:

"War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today."

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten."

#9    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,553 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

View PostMerc14, on 20 June 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

I believe NASA has already stated that they would be willing to partner up on a moon mission but did not want to be the lead agency.

there is something wrong with that, if your not the lead you don't control.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#10    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,553 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

View PostCollateral Damage, on 20 June 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

You read my mind. Perhaps that 3+Billion/year to Israel should be going to much greater causes... That's just my opinion, though.

How about the three billion to our new enemy, egypt.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#11    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:28 PM

View PostCollateral Damage, on 20 June 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

Perhaps that 3+Billion/year to Israel should be going to much greater causes... That's just my opinion, though.

View Postdanielost, on 20 June 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

How about the three billion to our new enemy, egypt.
How about we avoid bring off topic Middle-Eastern politics into this and actually discuss NASA's future.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#12    Rolci

Rolci

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:34 PM

Since when does the US need permission from the people to build moon bases? There are loads of those already, but of course you and I are not benefiting from that at the moment in too many ways. You want to watch the 2013 Citizen Hearing on UFO disclosure. In case there are still any around that have any remaining shreds of doubt that we already have the tech to travel to the stars.

#13    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:34 PM

How about we avoid bring off topic Middle-Eastern politics into this and actually discuss NASA's future.

If i may voice my 2 cents, i'd say they make a fair point though. That money, if provided to Nasa yearly, could make a world of difference in space exploration imho.

#14    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,880 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

View PostRolci, on 20 June 2013 - 11:34 PM, said:

Since when does the US need permission from the people to build moon bases? There are loads of those already, but of course you and I are not benefiting from that at the moment in too many ways. You want to watch the 2013 Citizen Hearing on UFO disclosure. In case there are still any around that have any remaining shreds of doubt that we already have the tech to travel to the stars.

Come on man!  Do you really think we have moon bases?  I have my opinion here but it is interesting to see what others think and i could easily change my mind but this stuff, hidden moon bases, just detracts from the conversation.

Edited by Merc14, 20 June 2013 - 11:36 PM.

#15    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

View PostRolci, on 20 June 2013 - 11:34 PM, said:

In case there are still any around that have any remaining shreds of doubt that we already have the tech to travel to the stars.
There is a section called Extraterrestrial Life & The UFO Phenomenon that should be a big clue as to where to make posts like the one above.

Now can we please have on topic discussion. Not the Middle East. Not UFOs, but NASA's asteroid mission and whether it will be/should be cancelled.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 20 June 2013 - 11:44 PM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users