This is not military type forum, so to show what I mean to any who are not familiar with this argument, a picture. There are many technical differences, some obvious, some hidden.
T-80/T-90 are probably part of the reason for investing hundreds of millions in Apache AH-1's. Imagine how useful they would have been in the Falklands.
Saying that the T90 still lacks explosive reactive armour, a decent high velocity gun and lacks speed. The Russians say it is capable of fighting 95% of modern tanks used. You can bet the M1, challenger 2 and Leopard are the other 5%. An M1 was known for knocking out T72's at 4km. The challenger 2 has an even better gun being rifled and far more accurate. I bet they could easily ad another 1km onto the kill range.
Urban warfare is the worst place for tanks. When Iraq war started getting into urban areas the USA started to lose M1's at an alarming rate. They apparently even consulted the Israeli's on the best way to fight without such heavy losses. They just bulldoze all the buildings and roll the tanks in. Not something the US/Uk would have like to have seen doing.
Edited by skookum, 22 June 2013 - 09:26 AM.