Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Human brain uploads possible by 2045 ?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#16    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,673 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

The problem I foresee is one that goes on right now... people with 4, 6, 10 facebook accounts, wanting 5, 10, 20 brain clones of themselves out there running around. You'd get some idiots out there making a copy of themselves every day and sending it out into the world to be a drain of resources to everyone else. I really doubt that the best and brightest will spam the internet with thousands of copies of themselves, yet just about every teenager will.

It will need to be policed.......... sadly... :cry:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#17    GirlfromOz

GirlfromOz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

Now tell me.Who really wants to live beyond a normal lifespan? If you succeed,then you outlive your friends,family etc.Upon the death of my father,I realized that after his passing,knowing that he lived that extra few years longer than others,he also suffered those extra years longer suffering until the end.He lived a very healthy life as a non smoker & drinker.His later life was not what anyone would want to live,given the restrictions of the onset of blindness,his having to wear a catheter etc. & his loss of his use of his legs.I felt for Dad.I knew that he deserved better than that.But when your time draws near,you do not know what luxuries you are allowed.It hurt to see him suffer.I asked God why? I knew that Adam,the first man lived some 930 years.How did he fair in his last few years? I don't know.The first man on Earth must also have had to suffer the degradation from his healthy manhood to his decrease of activity until his end.How long would his family have been made to suffer until his demise?It must have been more prolonged & agonising.With the prolonged death of our father, We,our family,all had to go through it.It hurt so bad.Dad was a strong & active man.He went to work & never complained.He did the right thing always.Then his decline reminded us of how human we all were.My Dad was the most understanding man on Earth.He was a friend to everyone.He had a sense of humour that I would also like to accept that I have inherited.He looked after all his girls after never having the son that he wanted,but still,his girls were his prized children.He never had the son that he wanted,but,he always loved & cared for his girls.He wanted us all to have good & promising lives.He helped me when I went through my divorce,he was there,& he always gave me good advice.I miss him so much now!He was my best friend!He loved me so much.That is what I think a Father is really meant to be like.He loved me & was proud of me no matter what.A true father in the sense.When his death came,I was in a sense of shock & with a questioning of my beliefs. Now you are getting to the subject of immortality.When everyone else around you is gone,where do you go?Who wants to live beyond the normal lifespan of everyone that you know around you with the fear of death?Who wants to live in this physical world without God,beyond the latest expected lifespan alone without the very family members that encourage your existence? Whatever,who in their right mind would want to try to avoid death in this world and upload your brain into a robotic existence,an existence in a robotic simulation that extends to many years beyond normal human experience that is beyond normality?

Edited by GirlfromOz, 21 June 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#18    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,673 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

If everyone could do it, you'd not be alone for long.

Plus, you could remain with your decendents/family.

Don't you think your Father would like to see what you make of yourself, and your kids, and grandkids and even further on??? Instead of a vase with ashes in it, or a grave in a field, you'd have Dad backed up on a Flash Drive and ready to give wisdom or to listen to what eveyone has been doing and express his Pride, or Hope for everyone.

I suppose it would work better it there were true holographic projects so people could feel they are talking to a living image, rather then just a program in the computer.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#19    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,661 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

This idea would be nice for exotic vacations. For instance, we could have a robot probe on any planet or planet's moon and transmit the digital information that is your brain into the robot's computer, and you could experience being on that planet or moon.

As someone here said, the digital copy of your brain would be "you", but it would be a separate "you" from your biological brain, like a digital clone. When your biological brain is old and dies, "you" would continue on as the digital copy, but the biological "you" would be dead. So the biological "you" would never experience the digital copy.

From the biological standpoint, what would be the purpose or point of creating a digital copy of yourself?

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#20    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,790 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

There could be a market for robots (more like sexbots) with brain uploads of celebrities.

#21    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,350 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

I think this is possible. But their date 2045 seems alittel too ambitious

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#22    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,986 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 21 June 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

This idea would be nice for exotic vacations. For instance, we could have a robot probe on any planet or planet's moon and transmit the digital information that is your brain into the robot's computer, and you could experience being on that planet or moon.

As someone here said, the digital copy of your brain would be "you", but it would be a separate "you" from your biological brain, like a digital clone. When your biological brain is old and dies, "you" would continue on as the digital copy, but the biological "you" would be dead. So the biological "you" would never experience the digital copy.

From the biological standpoint, what would be the purpose or point of creating a digital copy of yourself?

It appeals to (some) peoples vanity, like they imagine someone might want to check them out in future. Similar psychology exists on facebook where people share their photos from birth to present, while lovingly writing down what books and films and music they like, what they ate for breakfast, and how pished off they are at work. that  kind of thing.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#23    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

• "If you can't say something nice, be creative."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

There is no existing model which demonstrates that the diffuse and ephemeral reality we call "consciousness" can be detected, much less digitally stored for posterity. Said another way, there is no evidence that electronic preservation of the human brain will--or can--harness the conscious life of a subject, sometimes referred to in the vernacular as that person's "individuality," "identity," "essence" or even "spirit." Mind and consciousness are related; they are not identical.

Move over Mary Shelley, James Whale, Boris Karloff and Colin Clive: Here comes another generation of researchers who think they know what they're doing, another failure-in-the-making to cheat Death and play God.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#24    chopmo

chopmo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

• aaaah rabble rabble rabble rabble

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

http://youtu.be/DFEJRuVRFoE?t=22s

Come on seriously what else would the bigger picture do with the unlimited stock video storage.

why is everyone so &^%$ing concerned with "the end"...
new beginnings is what you should be concerned about...

#25    Hobbit Feet

Hobbit Feet

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 114 posts

• Drop me off at Willoughby and take me to Aunt T's!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:50 PM

At first I thought "Cool! it'll be like in the Matrix" no more school, but then I realized that would be downloading into the brain. They're talking about uploading into an electronic device so I guess that's more like "Surrogates", so you wouldn't know anything more, just have another body.  I like the downloading idea better.  

Number 12 Looks Just Like You!

#26    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:14 PM

View PostLilly, on 21 June 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

What about our consciousness?

What about our sub-consciousness? Sometimes is more improtant then consciousness.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#27    sam_comm

sam_comm

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

My father reminded me that decades ago people where saying that in the year 2000 there'll be no need to eat foods and that all computers will be messed up and that kind of things which many experts supported.

Now, needless to say we're far from that in 2013. We still eat a lot of meats and our computers works fine, they haven't taken over either.

So, as to upload our consciousness in a computer in 2045 I think it's a prediction that should be considered with moderation. In any case, I have a hard time considering that seriously.
Who should want to live in a machine and be reduced to data, wires and circuits? I've no doubt that technologies will change ou world significantly in the futur but that doesn't mean we should give ourselves to it.

Edited by sam_comm, 21 June 2013 - 11:42 PM.

#28    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,587 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:03 AM

Wow!   i don't know how a copy could function like a living brain.  A copy of what?  ..   Memories? ,  which would include all  'knowledge' .  How do you make a digital copy of functions?
    It's like  .. where's the hardware to run this stuff !?    i Can't open my Files!!!!*    oh noooo  i froze up!!    .. somebody unplug me  .. please!

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#29    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

Well, I think the story is BS, but it is a fascinating thought anyway. Wouldn´t it be great if google was right --- the various religionists would certainly have something to chew on...... considering that being in charge of our eternal afterlife, would Google not be God?

And could this Google then not create Heaven and Hell for your digitized brains on the server? The mind boggles.... personally, I say I find the idea of Larry Page being in charge of my digital soul about as appealing as muslim paradise with its virgins...

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#30    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

The philosophical problem of identity (is it really me?) would persist and I suspect give a lot of people serious pause.

Another approach is to keep the brain alive forever in some sort of heavily protected cocoon and live virtual lives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users