Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Where Are All the Aliens?

aliens intelligent species galxy universe interstellar travel

  • Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#16    Ashotep

Ashotep

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,401 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

Maybe they just don't want us to see them.


#17    willowdreams

willowdreams

    Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Joined:12 Jun 2009
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:46 AM

you know..all jokes aside

we all assume that IF we are visited by aliens (which I honestly do not think we have been.. not that it is not possible, i believe there is something out there.. ).. how do we know that the cockroach we stepped on outside.. or the ants we poisoned in the yard... are not aliens? We just assume that aliens will come in big.. and in ships we can see....  we assume that we will understand that they are aliens when we see them.

just something to think bout!

Posted Image


#18    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • Joined:05 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tokyo

  • When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:12 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 21 June 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

The Universe has been around for 13.8 billion years. Human beings originated 200,000 years ago, so we’ve only been around for 0.01% of the age of the Universe. An intelligent species could arise on any one of those countless worlds, and broadcast their existence to the entire galaxy.

Once a species developed interstellar travel, they could completely colonize our galaxy within a few tens of millions of years; just a heartbeat in the age of the Universe.

So where are they?


I don´t see the logic in the questions. Even *if* they could colonize our galaxy (and what does that even mean?), why should they? And even if they did colonize our galaxy, how would you even know? Any species that was that far more advanced then we as you suggest would be pretty much incomprehensible for us. In practical terms, they would be gods. How do you even know that our galaxy is not a gigantic alien test tube?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#19    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 13,987 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

Your response to his question is nothing more than rationalizing a clear fact.  A better question is why wouldn't they?


#20    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 13,987 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

Consider one thing we may be assured both we and any aliens have in common, we evolved under natural selection.

That being so, we are explorers and colonizers.


#21    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

    a paid-up member of the “tin foil hat brigade”

  • Member
  • 24,441 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Sea of Okhotsk

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

Not this silly theory again, that for some reason the ETs just wouldn't be able to wait to say Howdy to us. Perhaps they might find the planet an interesting subject to study, but they might not find us particuarlly worht making contact with?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


Posted Image


#22    greywolfe

greywolfe

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined:20 Jun 2013
  • Gender:Male

  • There are just as many ghosts of the living as there are of the dead.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 21 June 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

The Universe has been around for 13.8 billion years. Human beings originated 200,000 years ago, so we’ve only been around for 0.01% of the age of the Universe. An intelligent species could arise on any one of those countless worlds, and broadcast their existence to the entire galaxy.

Once a species developed interstellar travel, they could completely colonize our galaxy within a few tens of millions of years; just a heartbeat in the age of the Universe.

So where are they?

http://www.universet...all-the-aliens/
Some people argue that we should be able to hear their radio transmissions but radio is as primitive as smoke signals to inter-stellar travellers.  Communication systems employed by most advanced races would have to be a faster than light sub-etheric system which is as yet beyond our technical understanding. If we could lay hands on such a communication device the inter-stellar noise would be defeaning. As for why they are not seen in our skies the answer is - They are seen in our skies and are known to governments. Disclosure is a very difficult thing for the authorities as its not just about vivistors saying hello - it's coming to terms with revelations unearthed by their exotic sciences that would destablise the mortal low-life (me included) that reside on this world ?


#23    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 13,987 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

These are all rationalizations of the observed fact (one of the few real facts in this area of wild speculation) that "they" are not here and have not been here and that we see no sign of "them" in the galaxy or anywhere else.

As is said, lack of evidence does not prove absence, but needs to be explained, and the best explanation is that "they" are not.

There are also good reasons to think this is to be expected.  The galaxy is very big, but maybe not big enough, and other galaxies are just too far away.  If any of the factors in the Drake formula (and there are about a dozen) turns out to be zero or close to zero, the product is zero.


#24    EnderOTD

EnderOTD

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Joined:17 Feb 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesnowta, USA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

The entire article had me guessing what's what and maybe if and perhaps this, Drakes Equation came to mind as well.  If they are so plentiful in just our own galaxy why the heck haven't they contacted us yet?


#25    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

    a paid-up member of the “tin foil hat brigade”

  • Member
  • 24,441 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Sea of Okhotsk

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 22 June 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

These are all rationalizations of the observed fact (one of the few real facts in this area of wild speculation) that "they" are not here and have not been here and that we see no sign of "them" in the galaxy or anywhere else.

As is said, lack of evidence does not prove absence, but needs to be explained, and the best explanation is that "they" are not.

There are also good reasons to think this is to be expected.  The galaxy is very big, but maybe not big enough, and other galaxies are just too far away.  If any of the factors in the Drake formula (and there are about a dozen) turns out to be zero or close to zero, the product is zero.
Whyever is it wild speculation to say that there's loads of reasons why they might not have wanted to say Howdy to us, but it's not wild speculation to draw the conclusion that because they haven't said Howdy, they don't exist? Surely that's a much, more more tenuous conclusion to draw.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


Posted Image


#26    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

    a paid-up member of the “tin foil hat brigade”

  • Member
  • 24,441 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Sea of Okhotsk

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

View PostEnderOTD, on 22 June 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

The entire article had me guessing what's what and maybe if and perhaps this, Drakes Equation came to mind as well. If they are so plentiful in just our own galaxy why the heck haven't they contacted us yet?
Why might they have wanted to?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


Posted Image


#27    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 13,987 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

They would not come here to say howdy, unfortunately.  If they were ethical beings they would come to learn and maybe be of help; otherwise they would come here to colonize.

I expect that human beings will do the same.  In a couple thousand years we could colonize dozens of planets.  In a couple hundred thousand, the galaxy several times over.  It hasn't happened.


#28    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

    a paid-up member of the “tin foil hat brigade”

  • Member
  • 24,441 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Sea of Okhotsk

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 22 June 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

They would not come here to say howdy, unfortunately.  If they were ethical beings they would come to learn and maybe be of help; otherwise they would come here to colonize.

I expect that human beings will do the same.  In a couple thousand years we could colonize dozens of planets.  In a couple hundred thousand, the galaxy several times over.  It hasn't happened.
but why do people always assume that any intelligent alien race would want to either do something for, or exploit, Humanity? If they had come across Earth as part of their explorations, why might they not just want to study it as part of a scientific program involving study of all the Solar System? They might well take a particular interest in Earth on account of its biodiversity, but they might not consider us to be any more special than any of the other fauna.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


Posted Image


#29    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 13,987 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

Because evolution involves natural selection.  Therefore they would have these characteristics.  It only stands to reason.


#30    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 13,987 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

Besides, you seem to assume only one.  The speculation populates the galaxy with millions.  Surely some would.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users