Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Where Are All the Aliens?

aliens intelligent species galxy universe interstellar travel

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#76    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

A bit dull

• 26,777 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:33 AM

View PostJacques Terreur, on 27 June 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

or just something like the Mars Rover. Everybody likes remote-controlled stuff!
indeed, I've often argued that, if any UFOs are indeed spacecraft from Out There, they're far more likely to be robotic probes (perhaps AI, to avoid problems of the lag in transmission with remote control) than manned. Or Alienned.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#77    Spacenut56

Spacenut56

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

Colonel, I would agree that a percentage of ufo's seem/appear to be just that. I have seen some pics of alleged probes from around the world, and to me, though not an expert by any means thats what they appear to be. It makes sense, as that is what NASA and the world are doing right now in our solar system, so why couldn't some be probes from someplace out there?

#78    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 27 June 2013 - 03:55 AM, said:

The real questions are...what about the gravity? The period of rotations and revolutions? I think aliens won't bother colonize a planet if it doesn't fit these criteria.

And that's just the beginning. Venus is a "habitable" rocky planet. Mars is a "habitable" rocky planet. Obviously the criteria of rock and location as being "habitable" isn't complete.

#79    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,883 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

View Postscowl, on 27 June 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

And that's just the beginning. Venus is a "habitable" rocky planet. Mars is a "habitable" rocky planet. Obviously the criteria of rock and location as being "habitable" isn't complete.
It's conceivable either of them could be perceived as ideal by a certain type of alien with a lifestyle a bit different from ours.  Mars's alien could even be carbon based.

I suspect in time we may terraform both of them.

#80    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,137 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

Well, here's one possible theory & a very plausible one why we haven't been visited by aliens.
Perhaps Einstein was right, perhaps the speed on light IS the absolute maximum speed that anything can travel, perhaps it is simply impossible to travel any faster. in which case even if aliens did exist they & we may be always trapped on our own planet by the sheer distances involved.
The argument for the possibility of alien life in the universe is the sheer number of stars we can see, which is a perfectly reasonable argument, BUT if nothing can travel faster than the speed of light then of all those thousands of millions of stars out there, we would have to be lucky enough that perhaps only the nearest 50 or 60 have exactly the right conditions to develop life, & so the numbers argument becomes redundant.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#81    Spacenut56

Spacenut56

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 27 June 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

Well, here's one possible theory & a very plausible one why we haven't been visited by aliens.
Perhaps Einstein was right, perhaps the speed on light IS the absolute maximum speed that anything can travel, perhaps it is simply impossible to travel any faster. in which case even if aliens did exist they & we may be always trapped on our own planet by the sheer distances involved.
The argument for the possibility of alien life in the universe is the sheer number of stars we can see, which is a perfectly reasonable argument, BUT if nothing can travel faster than the speed of light then of all those thousands of millions of stars out there, we would have to be lucky enough that perhaps only the nearest 50 or 60 have exactly the right conditions to develop life, & so the numbers argument becomes redundant.

Einstein may be right, but I have a hunch he may be in error, or that what we think is the limit of speed, actually may not be or that it would only apply to us at least for now. For example, NASA as I write this is looking into the possibility that  a warp drive ship may be possible and are trying to build one as I type this. The other things that is really interesting is that many top thinkers, and Physists think that the trick to moving great distances across the galaxy and space is the ability to move or "bend" space itself, as opposed to building a fast propulsion system. Time will tell, but lots is happening.

Edited by Spacenut56, 27 June 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#82    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 27 June 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

It's conceivable either of them could be perceived as ideal by a certain type of alien with a lifestyle a bit different from ours.

What kind of lifestyle involves living in crushing pressures at temperatures that melt lead?

#83    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

View PostSpacenut56, on 27 June 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

Einstein may be right, but I have a hunch he may be in error, or that what we think is the limit of speed, actually may not be or that it would only apply to us at least for now.

What do you base your "hunch" that Einstein was "in error"? Do you fully comprehend his theories? Have you seen the overwhelming amount of evidence that supports them?

For example, NASA as I write this is looking into the possibility that  a warp drive ship may be possible and are trying to build one as I type this.

So are they "looking into the possibility" or are they "trying to build one"? These are two very different things.

The other things that is really interesting is that many top thinkers, and Physists think that the trick to moving great distances across the galaxy and space is the ability to move or "bend" space itself, as opposed to building a fast propulsion system. Time will tell, but lots is happening.

None of them have any clue how to do this so it's nothing but science fiction.

#84    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,137 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

Einstein may be right, but I have a hunch he may be in error, or that what we think is the limit of speed, actually may not be or that it would only apply to us at least for now. For example, NASA as I write this is looking into the possibility that  a warp drive ship may be possible and are trying to build one as I type this. The other things that is really interesting is that many top thinkers, and Physists think that the trick to moving great distances across the galaxy and space is the ability to move or "bend" space itself, as opposed to building a fast propulsion system. Time will tell, but lots is happening.

Can you post some evidence re 'warp' drive & 'bending' space, because these two subjects are both the product of popular science fiction.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#85    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,644 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:40 PM

nasa as I write this is looking into the possibility that  a warp drive ship may be possible and are trying to build one as I type this.

Have you got some credible links about nasa warpdrive? I thought it was all just a theory they were working on

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#86    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,891 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:08 AM

Einstein may be right, but I have a hunch he may be in error,

Really? May I ask what you are basing that hunch on?

or that what we think is the limit of speed, actually may not be or that it would only apply to us at least for now.

We are pretty certain what the speed limit is, so to speak. At least we haven't seen anything contradicting it yet.

For example, NASA as I write this is looking into the possibility that  a warp drive ship may be possible and are trying to build one as I type this.

And where exactly are they trying to build this contraption?

The other things that is really interesting is that many top thinkers, and Physists think that the trick to moving great distances across the galaxy and space is the ability to move or "bend" space itself, as opposed to building a fast propulsion system. Time will tell, but lots is happening.

Yes, wormholes are very nice theoretical solutions to the Theory of General Relativity. Sadly, they have no practical solutions yet.

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#87    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,522 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:28 AM

But atlast Its a Good thing to Dream,from the mind of man & woman comes the Dreams,that may become the Future of our Travel into the Stars ! Afterall,One Should Dream ,And Really Good Dreams ! :innocent:

This is a Work in Progress!

#88    Spacenut56

Spacenut56

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 27 June 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

Can you post some evidence re 'warp' drive & 'bending' space, because these two subjects are both the product of popular science fiction.
I don't know where you are, but in the U.S. I got this information from Morgan Freemans excellent program called "Through the Wormhole."

#89    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,205 posts

• I know someday
    you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why can't it be mine? -Pearl Jam

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

View PostSpacenut56, on 28 June 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

I don't know where you are, but in the U.S. I got this information from Morgan Freemans excellent program called "Through the Wormhole."

It is still very much in the theoretical stage at this point. So far they need 'negative mass', which there is no evidence such a thing even exists, and ungodly amounts of energy (even at modern levels we aren't even close... not even in the same league).They don't even have a proof of concept model yet.

*On a side note, Through the Wormhole isn't Morgan Freeman's program. He's just the talent hired to host it.

Edited by Slave2Fate, 28 June 2013 - 10:20 AM.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#90    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

View PostSpacenut56, on 28 June 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

Please do not pass on Entertainment Shows as credible source of such info. Even if Morgan Freeman is involved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users