Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

Museum statue mysteriously starts moving

ghost curse mystery egyptian haunted

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#46    Bloodflower

Bloodflower

Poltergeist

• 2,476 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

Vibrations? None of the other statues are moving. I don't buy this simplistic explanation. What the museum should do is move the statue somewhere else, then test on the place where it's been turning. Sand? What sand? where is it?

Significantly the statue is a god of death and this happened during the summer solstice.
It moves

"When a wolf doesn't want to do something, they look really cute!"
Michelle Paver

#47    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,160 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

View PostRogue Suga, on 24 June 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

Significantly the statue is a god of death and this happened during the summer solstice.

God of death? Really?  And anyway, lets forget the summer solstice, as this must have happened before it, Sure the story has been released around the solstice, but again, the story says that the guy noted it was moving a few times, THEN setup his camera....then...the story got out.

Could have started  happening a couple of months ago to be fair.

Edited by seeder, 24 June 2013 - 04:10 PM.

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#48    minera

minera

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

• There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,: Than are dreamed of in your philosophy. Act II, scene 2:.. Hamlet

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

I am not sure I would want strangers messing with my belongings after my death either. Maybe the spirits are not happy that their stuff is not where it should be or maybe the statues are built to move at certain times of the year and left as a reminder for the person entering the afterlife. Just guessing.

#49    Metal Head

Metal Head

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

Yeah, not moving at night when there is no foot traffic is easily the explanation on this one. Notice it rotates so far and then it stops, that's because it's settling at a level point on whatever it's sitting on. As far as the other statues not moving, that's because they are level and settled in their spots, the table or whatever it's on can easily be uneven throughout.

#50    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

Vibrations? None of the other statues are moving. I don't buy this simplistic explanation. What the museum should do is move the statue somewhere else, then test on the place where it's been turning. Sand? What sand? where is it?

It moves

Occam's Razor

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#51    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

View Postslaughtr, on 24 June 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

The proof was right in your face again and ridiculous comments like the sand under it is making it move! stop the sillyness.Maybe it has to levitate on tape to get folks to believe but really as far as gravity .....your killing me.Hey skeptic folk prove the video wrong and go shooting off scientific if itis provr it debunk it your good at that right????????????????

Proof of what?

Believe what?

What is there to "prove wrong" about the video?  I don't see anyone here claiming that the statue isn't rotating.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#52    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,276 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

It moves

The summer solstice is now in April? That's when the video is from according to the timestamp.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#53    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,608 posts

• Question everything

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

Read again. It's not a statue of Osiris, it's dedicated to Osiris. It's what's called a Ka statue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ka_statue

Of course, now people will just take this as more evidence it's "haunted"...

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#54    minera

minera

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

• There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,: Than are dreamed of in your philosophy. Act II, scene 2:.. Hamlet

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

I am not sure I would want strangers messing with my belongings after my death either. Maybe the spirits are not happy that their stuff is not where it should be or maybe the statues are built to move at certain times of the year and left as a reminder for the person entering the afterlife. Just guessing.

#55    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

That is definitely some crazy ****.

#56    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

Looks like we have a mystery to solve gang :alien:

#57    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

View PostOniomancer, on 24 June 2013 - 05:48 PM, said:

Read again. It's not a statue of Osiris, it's dedicated to Osiris. It's what's called a Ka statue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ka_statue

Of course, now people will just take this as more evidence it's "haunted"...
Thanks for the link. Very interesting stuff. I've learnt something special about Egyptian culture today.

A ka statue is a type of ancient Egyptian statue intended to provide a resting place for the ka, or spirit, of the person after death. The ancient Egyptians believed the ka (or life-force), along with the physical body, the name, the ba (personality or soul), and the šwt (shadow), made up the five aspects of a person.

After death, the ethereal aspects of the soul were believed to be released from the body, free to roam the earth, but required the physical body or a surrogate, such as the ka statue, to return to as a permanent home. The hieroglyph representing the ka is composed of a pair of upraised arms, and is sometimes depicted on top of the head of the statue to reinforce its intended purpose.

Because the ancient Egyptians believed statues could magically perceive the world, they were ceremonially brought to life by priests in a special ritual called the Opening of the mouth ceremony. In the full version of this ceremony, the mouth, eyes, nose, and ears could be touched with ritual implements to give the statue the power of breath, sight, smell, and hearing.

Attached Thumbnails

• Ka_Statue_of_horawibra.jpeg

Edited by RingFenceTheCity, 24 June 2013 - 06:20 PM.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#58    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,608 posts

• Question everything

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostHollyDolly, on 24 June 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

Seeder,good points. Put the thing in another cabinet and film it.Also,if vibrations from visitors,then why doesn't anything else in the cabinet move as well. Certainly you would think the smaller lighter in weight obects would also move as well.

They're shorter but not necessarily smaller. Think of it as the difference between a a block of metal and a metal tuning fork of equal mass. They're both the same material but one will resonate freely and the other won't. The various statues are also different types of stone which effects their resonant frequency.

The real question is what's changed in the local environment to make it just start happening recently?

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#59    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

I am surprised at the amount of interest about this statue... I might pop in to the Science Museum at the weekend and take a look myself. I may even video it for you guy's :lol:

Edit to add: Even the BBC are covering it now!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23029507

Edited by Star of the Sea, 24 June 2013 - 06:37 PM.

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#60    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

Here's a few interesting tweets from the curator himself Campbell Price @EgyptMcr

This fits with the dark matter hypothesis Ancient Egyptian jewellery carved from a meteorite

THINK iron jewellery is down-to-earth? Not for the ancient Egyptians, it wasn't. A 5300-year-old necklace bead found in an Egyptian tomb was made with iron from a meteorite.
Evidence for iron smelting in Egypt dates back to the 6th century BC, but archaeologists have found much older iron artefacts in the region, including in Tutankhamun's tomb. Such artefacts are "pretty much exclusive to high-status tombs", says Diane Johnson of the Open University in Milton Keynes, UK. Previous analyses of the oldest of these – nine iron beads from a cemetery near the Nile – proved inconclusive on their origins.
Now Johnson and colleagues have taken another look at one of the beads (pictured) and concluded that it is indeed from a meteorite. The surface of the bead had low levels of nickel, but the levels inside were as high as they would be in a meteorite.
But the clincher was evidence of a distinctive crystal structure – known as the Widmanstätten pattern – that only forms when iron and nickel cools very slowly, as it does in meteoroids (Meteoritics & Planetary Science, doi.org/mmb).
It is "very convincing" that the beads come from a meteorite, says Meenakshi Wadhwa of the Center for Meteorite Studies at Arizona State University in Tempe.

Attached Thumbnails

• mg.jpeg

Edited by RingFenceTheCity, 24 June 2013 - 06:31 PM.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

Also tagged with ghost, curse, mystery, egyptian, haunted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users