Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

Museum statue mysteriously starts moving

ghost curse mystery egyptian haunted

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#61    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,625 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

People read the article again and you will find:

"Bemused staff installed a camera to take a picture of the 1800BC statue every minute for a week — the spooky time-lapsed film shows it turning through 360 degrees.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co...l#ixzz2X9yivtaG

so it takes a whole week to do a turn?

Edited by seeder, 24 June 2013 - 06:29 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#62    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

Here's a photo of the monitoring equipment under the statuette (dated 8th May)

and here's his article on the experiment The mystery of the spinning statuette (II) (20th June)

Several months ago, we noticed that one of our Middle Kingdom statuettes was spinning around imperceptibly slowly in its new case in our Egyptian Worlds gallery. We set up a time lapse camera to take one image every minute for a week. This is the result.
The cause may be subtle vibrations from footfall or traffic outside, but the statuette has been on a glass shelf in about the same place in the gallery for decades and has never moved before – and none of the other objects in the case move in any way. A mystery? See for yourself.

Wow, and this from the first article!

The intriguing suggestion that the statuette was carved of steatite and then fired may imply that it it now vulnerable to magnetic forces. But is so, why did it not move on its glass shelf in pretty much the same position in the old Egyptian Afterlife gallery?

Soapstone

Soapstone (also known as steatite or soaprock) is a talc-schist, which is a type of metamorphic rock. It is largely composed of the mineral talc and is thus rich in magnesium. It is produced by dynamothermal metamorphism and metasomatism, which occurs in the areas where tectonic plates are subducted, changing rocks by heat and pressure, with influx of fluids, but without melting. It has been a medium for carving for thousands of years.

This is just the place for meteoritic fluid dark matter to find it's way into the soft rock! What a prediction..

Attached Files

Edited by RingFenceTheCity, 24 June 2013 - 06:56 PM.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#63    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,625 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

well I never would have thought this was possible, but here we have a skeleton of ancient man that moves too...in another museum

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#64    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

The mystery of the moving rocks in Death Valley could also be solved by their soapstone/fluid-dark-matter make-up. The Sliding Rocks of Racetrack Playa

WO! Here's the evidence which fits like a glove Geology of the Death Valley area

The exposed geology of the Death Valley area presents a diverse and complex set of at least 23 formations of sedimentary units, two major gaps in the geologic record called unconformities, and at least one distinct set of related formations geologists call a group. The oldest rocks in the area that now includes Death Valley National Park are extensively metamorphosed by intense heat and pressure and are at least 1700 million years old. These rocks were intruded by a mass of granite 1400 Ma (million years ago) and later uplifted and exposed to nearly 500 million years of erosion.
It's similar to the formation of soapstone!

Attached Files

Edited by RingFenceTheCity, 24 June 2013 - 07:15 PM.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#65    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

The base of the statue might not be as flat as the other statues, and so with the slightest vibration its effected, I have a similar thing happen with remote controls on my coffee table one has an odd shape base and shakes with the slightest vibration where as the others don't.

#66    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,221 posts

• Question everything

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

View PostRingFenceTheCity, on 24 June 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

Here's a photo of the monitoring equipment under the statuette (dated 8th May)

and here's his article on the experiment The mystery of the spinning statuette (II) (20th June)

Wow, and this from the first article!

Soapstone

This is just the place for meteoritic fluid dark matter to find it's way into the soft rock! What a prediction..

Aha! I was going wondering about that. First they said serpentine, which is related to talc, now they outright say soapstone. Soapstone, like it's name implies, is slippery.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#67    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,221 posts

• Question everything

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostOniomancer, on 24 June 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

They're shorter but not necessarily smaller. Think of it as the difference between a a block of metal and a metal tuning fork of equal mass. They're both the same material but one will resonate freely and the other won't. The various statues are also different types of stone which effects their resonant frequency.

The real question is what's changed in the local environment to make it just start happening recently?

Okay, disregard the size stuff. I couldn't tell the size of the others from the long shots. I can see it better now in the links Ring posted. Same idea though.

Edited by Oniomancer, 24 June 2013 - 07:42 PM.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#68    Zero2Hero

Zero2Hero

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

Oooh ooh I'm in Manchester on Saturday, may pop down to have a look at that and the T-Rex. How strong of a magnet do I need to move this thing?

#69    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,625 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

View PostZero2Hero, on 24 June 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

Oooh ooh I'm in Manchester on Saturday, may pop down to have a look at that and the T-Rex. How strong of a magnet do I need to move this thing?

I bet they have put the admission costs up since this story broke..

#70    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

View Postseeder, on 24 June 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

I bet they have put the admission costs up since this story broke..

It's free entry ;)

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#71    Jessem

Jessem

Future Husband

• 1,451 posts

• No matter what anyone say's, you can make a difference... you probably already have.

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

I find it completely "awesome" that a thread about a small stone statue "moving" is gathering more attention than issues that actually matter :td:

The secret of life is'nt trying to figure out the secret, its about living it.

#72    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,625 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostJessem, on 24 June 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

I find it completely "awesome" that a thread about a small stone statue "moving" is gathering more attention than issues that actually matter :td:

and what would those issues be?

#73    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

Observer

• 5,546 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

Hopefully it'll get bored of spinning on the spot soon and do something worth watching, like a star jump...

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#74    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,786 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

As long as it's rotating and not walking I feel perfectly safe.

#75    Jessem

Jessem

Future Husband

• 1,451 posts

• No matter what anyone say's, you can make a difference... you probably already have.

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

View Postseeder, on 24 June 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

and what would those issues be?

Oh seeder :no: , if I have to explain what should be talked about instead of you just knowing whats more important, this world is in worse shape than I thought... This "statue" has gotten more threads and attention in the last day than even Iran's new president... it's sad :hmm:

The secret of life is'nt trying to figure out the secret, its about living it.

Also tagged with ghost, curse, mystery, egyptian, haunted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users