Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

Museum statue mysteriously starts moving

ghost curse mystery egyptian haunted

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#91    Collateral Damage

Collateral Damage

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

• "Anti-Americanism is a pure totalitarian concept. The very notion is idiotic."

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:30 AM

View PostJessem, on 24 June 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

Oh seeder :no: , if I have to explain what should be talked about instead of you just knowing whats more important, this world is in worse shape than I thought... This "statue" has gotten more threads and attention in the last day than even Iran's new president... it's sad :hmm:
Too bad, really... Ahmadinejad wasn't a bad guy.

Undated letter from J.F.K. said:

"War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today."

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten."

#92    Jessem

Jessem

Future Husband

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

• No matter what anyone say's, you can make a difference... you probably already have.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:52 AM

View PostCollateral Damage, on 25 June 2013 - 02:30 AM, said:

Too bad, really... Ahmadinejad wasn't a bad guy.

I'd have to refamiliar myself with him, but in this polictical world right now, Iran is a huge middle east player. Sorry for being off topic OP.

The secret of life is'nt trying to figure out the secret, its about living it.

#93    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:17 AM

View PostOniomancer, on 24 June 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

Okay, disregard the size stuff. I couldn't tell the size of the others from the long shots. I can see it better now in the links Ring posted. Same idea though.
Thanks to your link about the Ka statue, I've had the idea that the two large curling Ostrich Feathers of Osiris is the equivalent of the Rainbow Serpent, or Feathered Serpent imagery of Quetzalcoatl in Mesoamerican culture.

Atef

Atef is the specific feathered white crown of the Egyptian Deity Osiris. It combines the Hedjet, the crown of Upper Egypt, with red ostrich feathers for the Osiris cult. The feathers are identified as ostrich from their curl or curve at the upper ends, with a slight flare toward the base...
The Atef crown identifies Osiris in ancient Egyptian painting. Osiris wears the Atef crown as a symbol of the ruler of the underworld

To the Aztecs, Quetzalcoatl was, as his name indicates, a feathered serpent, a flying reptile (much like a dragon), who was a boundary-maker (and transgressor) between earth and sky.

Attached Files

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#94    Lex540

Lex540

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

• I am unique and distinct

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

True or false i will take it as believe it or not

#95    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,643 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

View PostJessem, on 24 June 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

I find it completely "awesome" that a thread about a small stone statue "moving" is gathering more attention than issues that actually matter :td:

It's called a light-hearted diversion. People are frustrated with what they perceive as their lack of ability to make real changes in the world. Many fight the good fight, some have given up, but all occasionally need to take a breather and lighten up a bit. In a week this story will be long forgotten, chalked up to just misinterpretation of natural phenomenon, but societal struggles and our concern for them will go on.

#96    ash68

ash68

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

• It doesn't matter what you think you are,but what you think,you are
    Celsus

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

Wouldn't it be more scientific if they moved the statue to another place and see if it still turns?

#97    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,311 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

View Postashven, on 25 June 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

Wouldn't it be more scientific if they moved the statue to another place and see if it still turns?

because it is more fun to leave it there to see hoe much longer it will keep this up ... :yes:

I used to keep a hand bag and accessories shop ... and every morning ... the display would be on the floor ... kept up for a week or two ...
did we find out how it happened ? no ... but it was fun while it was happening ... not the first few days though ... then I was angry ... after a few days it was just funny

never did find out why it happened still ... as sudden as it started ... it just stopped ... who knows ... :lol:

`

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#98    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

Here's an interesting link to a selection of all the news coverage around the world on the spinning statue Storify  by Manchester Museum

Wow, there's a Wikipedia page Moving statues

The moving statues phenomenon occurred during the summer of 1985 in Ireland, where statues of the Virgin Mary were reported to move spontaneously.
In Ballinspittle, County Cork in July 1985, an observer claimed to have seen a roadside statue of the Virgin Mary move spontaneously.[1] Similar occurrences were reported shortly afterward in Mount Melleray, County Waterford and at around 30 other locations around the country. They were not all Marian apparitions. Some involved other divine figures and/or saints who appeared in stains on Church walls etc. Thousands gathered at many of the sites out of curiosity or to gaze in wonder and to pray. Up to 100,000 were said to have visited the Ballinspittle site alone.[2] The Catholic Church remained reticent or highly skeptical and a bishop declared the whole phenomenon 'an illusion'.[2] The Ballinspittle statue was damaged by a gang of hammer-wielding Pentecostalist protesters against idolatry (or mariolatry), but it was repaired.[2] In 2002 the BBC planned a documentary on the phenomenon.[3]

N.B. 1985 is the date when the sun changed it's solar output and has been in decline since this date. Coincidence? Were these statues made of special soapstone too?

BBC to pay homage to the moving statues phenomenon

The tiny Co Cork village of Ballinspittle is one of five locations throughout the world to be featured in a documentary called Miracle Statues.
Programme-makers spent two days in Ballinspittle earlier this month, interviewing local people and taking footage of the statue of Our Lady in the village grotto. The team also interviewed Cork sculptor Maurice O'Donnell, who made the statue in the 1950s.
John Murray, chairman of the Grotto Committee, who was the subject of an hour-long interview, said the programme makers "wanted an account of what we saw and felt happened at the time and they would put forward the opposing side from scientists".
He said the people of Ballinspittle simply told their story and would let the viewers make up their own minds.
A serving sergeant in Cork city at the time, Mr Murray saw the statue move two days after the first report in July 1985. He was among a crowd of several hundred people saying prayers and singing hymns in front of the grotto when "suddenly, without warning, there was a gasp from the crowd" as the statue, which is embedded in concrete, appeared to be airborne for half a minute.
"I was so convinced it was a fraud that I climbed up into the grotto the next morning and tried to shake the statue, but it wouldn't budge. I checked the back, the sides of it for any trip wires, but I couldn't find anything."
Thousands of people flocked to Ballinspittle in the summer of 1985 to witness the moving statue for themselves.
Although the statue hasn't been seen moving since, it still attracts a steady flow of visitors every year, particularly in the summer months. A BBC spokeswoman said Miracle Statues is in the early days of production and it was too early to say when the programme would be broadcast.

Even the Hindu Milk Miracle Of 1995 has the potential to be explained by soapstone which contains fluid dark matter which only acts on fluids!

Attached Files

Edited by RingFenceTheCity, 25 June 2013 - 02:38 PM.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#99    Jessem

Jessem

Future Husband

• 1,451 posts

• No matter what anyone say's, you can make a difference... you probably already have.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

View PostSundew, on 25 June 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

It's called a light-hearted diversion. People are frustrated with what they perceive as their lack of ability to make real changes in the world. Many fight the good fight, some have given up, but all occasionally need to take a breather and lighten up a bit. In a week this story will be long forgotten, chalked up to just misinterpretation of natural phenomenon, but societal struggles and our concern for them will go on.

I like you :D

The secret of life is'nt trying to figure out the secret, its about living it.

#100    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,578 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

Here's a good analysis of what's going on with the statue as well as some correction of factual inaccuracies in the stories being reported (for example, the statue hasn't been on that shelf "decades" as claimed).

http://metabunk.org/...nchester-Museum

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#101    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,643 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

This is too easy. If the museum is closed one day a week (or on holidays) see if it moves then. I'm betting no.

#102    jsowersby

jsowersby

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

• "And as he wages his battle, knowing that his will is impeccable, a warrior laughs and laughs." Don Juan Matus

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

It seems to only move when there are people walking around. The vibration of people walking combined with the glass top of the case could be vibrating the statue. The bottom of the statue may not be perfectly level and that's why only the one moves and not the others.

#103    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

View Postjsowersby, on 25 June 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

It seems to only move when there are people walking around. The vibration of people walking combined with the glass top of the case could be vibrating the statue. The bottom of the statue may not be perfectly level and that's why only the one moves and not the others.

No, that is not possible.  It's a hoax... and a bad one at that.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#104    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,620 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

Rafterman provided a decent link which would further indicate its down to vibrations. Like how your phone will turn circles on a table if vibrate alert is on. Remember people, this thing doest turn very quickly, the vid was shot over a week.

The new vid however,  shows it climbing out of the cabinet and coming back with a KFC, which it shares with the other statues....but Im having probs linking it here so you'll just have to imagine it. :yes:

. :w00t:

Edited by seeder, 25 June 2013 - 09:45 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#105    Finity

Finity

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

It's caused by small vibrations of people walking by. It does not move when the place is empty and theres no one around (like at night).  If you put something on a table and then whack the table, the object moves. It's the same effect only much weaker, but far more frequently.

The other statues near it aren't as effected because they are heavier or have more stable footing.

Edited by Finity, 25 June 2013 - 10:05 PM.

Also tagged with ghost, curse, mystery, egyptian, haunted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users