Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Grand Canyon Crossed By Tightrope Walker

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,620 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

Daredevil Nik Wallenda has successfully completed a high-wire walk across the Grand Canyon without a safety harness.

The Florida aerialist performed the quarter-mile crossing on a two-inch thick steel cable, 1,500ft above the Little Colorado River Gorge in Arizona.

The 34-year-old took around 22 minutes to finish the feat, kneeling twice to "get the rhythm out of the rope" and murmuring prayers to Jesus almost constantly along the way.

He stepped slowly and steadily most of the way, but jogged and hopped the last few steps. The father-of-three wore a microphone and two cameras, one looking down and one facing straight ahead. His leather shoes, which had an elk-skin sole, helped him keep a grip on the cable as he moved across.

http://uk.news.yahoo...90.html#sxM2QVv

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,589 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

I told my wife it'd be boring if he just fell but awesome if he got fried to the cable by lightning.

You don't want to live in my head.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,407 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

Oh God how dizzy I would be, then I would have to barf.  About made me dizzy just looking off the side when I was there.

#4    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

Holy crackers this guy is crazy..   That was brilliant,. but scary !!   I fear heights so much that watching him gave me chills...I can't even lean over the stairs in the mall let alone do that..

He is going to walk between the Chrysler building and the Empire state building in NY...mad mad  lol... Good luck to him..The mad git...lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 24 June 2013 - 08:46 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#5    shadowlark

shadowlark

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

Very impressive, although technically not the Grand Canyon... http://www.grindtv.c...t/nik-wallenda/

#6    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,621 posts

• Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others. -Buddha

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:48 AM

Quite frankly I think it is beyond moronic.
Risking his life and for what? Some stupid notoriety?

Not impressive in my book. Apparently he has a wife; what if he had fallen? What a horrendous thing to subject your family to.
One day he will not be successful but either badly maimed or dead. Then what?

#7    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,866 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

This was amazing! And I am so glad they had the cameras so we could see what he was seeing. Even though I am afraid of heights this did not bother me for some reason. The fact that a human was tight rope walking with no safety gear 1500 ft above rocks...yes. But the views of the heights didn't bother me, beautiful place.

I hated the view from the helicopter as it spun around him though...that was dizzying.

Imo, doing it while your wife and kids watched or didn't watch as it looked like one boy (not sure if it was his son) didn't watch in a couple shots, was callous and insensitive. Actually, choosing to do this in the first place as a father and husband was a bit callous and insensitive for me.

But he did it and I'm glad I got to see it.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 25 June 2013 - 07:24 AM.

#8    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,410 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

I take it public transport in Arizona is crap.

#9    Technocrat

Technocrat

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

• "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog." Anon.

"Art is what you can get away with." Andy Warhol.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

They should put a rope bridge across that stretch and everybody will be able to pretend that they are tightrope walking it!

#10    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,989 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

Nice to see some old school 'death defying' feats still going on. David Blaine should take note.

#11    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,620 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 26 June 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

Nice to see some old school 'death defying' feats still going on. David Blaine should take note.

David Blaine should quit now we have Dynamo!!

Edited by seeder, 26 June 2013 - 02:19 PM.

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#12    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostRyu, on 25 June 2013 - 01:48 AM, said:

Quite frankly I think it is beyond moronic.
Risking his life and for what? Some stupid notoriety?

Not impressive in my book. Apparently he has a wife; what if he had fallen? What a horrendous thing to subject your family to.
One day he will not be successful but either badly maimed or dead. Then what?

Its not as if its something new either walking across a tightrope (cable) at height somewhere,

#13    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,989 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

View Postseeder, on 26 June 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

David Blaine should quit now we have Dynamo!!

Great clip seeder. :)

At first I was surprised his sleeve was rolled up (exposing where the metal rod was supporting him) and I scratched my head a bit, then I realised his whole arm could be fake. ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb, 26 June 2013 - 02:57 PM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#14    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

It is what the Wallendas have been doing for generations. As he said: For him it is another work day.

I found the video impressive, but had to turn off the sound. The constant Jesus babble got really annoying after a while.

#15    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,620 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 26 June 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

Great clip seeder. :)

At first I was surprised his sleeve was rolled up (exposing where the metal rod was supporting him) and I scratched my head a bit, then I realised his whole arm could be fake. ;)

yeh has to be the fake arm trick doesn't it?  Bet the girl toward the end of the next vid wasnt so comfy tho!!

More
http://www.dailymail...-bus-trick.html

Edited by seeder, 26 June 2013 - 03:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users