Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

What's happening in Brazil?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously." - J.E.B. Stuart

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

View PostThe world needs you, on 25 June 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

There are no leaders, no main issue, and that is it more of a social movement. They interviewed one of the members of Pase Libre (the Free Fare Movement), which formed in 2006, and was the first group to begin the protest the bus fare hikes before others joined them. She stated their own group had no leaders either and will refuse to promote one from within their ranks.

Not having a leader or a focus does limit their effectiveness.
I can sympathize with her view, it makes it harder for opposition voices to discredit them through having no focal point to attack, leads them to having to make generalities about the group which people who have a grounding in common sense won't fly with.

On the other hand as you say, Pase Libre also have no focal point, no one to rally the troops to a particular end.

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

#17    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,026 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

Its just the disgruntled few taking advantage of the situation by holding World Cup Organising Committee to ransom ... as soon as they are given free tickets or promised free televised matches the majority of them will quieten down ... then the Neymar supporters will be left to continue the protests on their own ... till the Summer Olympics

`

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#18    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

Forgot to add this but I had a question based on a suspicion.

The suspicion is that it seems doubtful to me that the protestors in Brazil are from the favelas now but instead are part of the growing middle class which has stalled.

Sort of like give a man a fish and feed him for a day, give a man a fish everyday and then stop giving it to him and he will be very angry, or maybe it is like teach a man to fish then privatize the pond????

In either case are most of the protestors in Brazil from the middle class? So this movement would then be not about poverty but about middle class concerns instead?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users