Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

World's first religious vending machine

religious vending machine sebastian fiebig rosary beads armbands st. joseph church

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,836 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

The world's first religious vending machine has been installed in a church to allow worshippers to buy holy accessories before attending a service.

Churchgoers can now buy rosary beads and armbands with religious motifs before taking their seat inside their place of worship.

The machine was the brainchild of pastoral assistant Sebastian Fiebig at the St. Joseph Church, in Hamburg, Germany.

http://www.dailymail...orshippers.html

Posted Image

#2    Jessem

Jessem

Future Husband

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

• No matter what anyone say's, you can make a difference... you probably already have.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 25 June 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

The world's first religious vending machine has been installed in a church to allow worshippers to buy holy accessories before attending a service.

Churchgoers can now buy rosary beads and armbands with religious motifs before taking their seat inside their place of worship.

The machine was the brainchild of pastoral assistant Sebastian Fiebig at the St. Joseph Church, in Hamburg, Germany.

http://www.dailymail...orshippers.html

Not how it should be... Rosary, crosses, and any tokens of religious ceromony is supposed to be given to you out of love. This is WRONG!

The secret of life is'nt trying to figure out the secret, its about living it.

#3    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,302 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

Unless I am remembering wrongly, the ancient Greeks had machines that gave out holy oil, or incense, or somesuch... In their temples... pre-Christian....
But I agree with Jessem, in Catholic circles, these items are given to the person - not bought by the person...

#4    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,365 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

Mmmm.... Pagans are suckers for that kind of stuff. Vending machine with an assortment of crystals.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#5    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,302 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

Just looked it up and Hero (or Heron?) of Alexandria - the inventor of the first steam engine - invented the first known vending machine - 2,000 years ago...

It was a 'forced draft pump' that sat in the entry to Temples... A worshipper would drop a few coins in the top which would land on a pan... The pan would drop with the weight of the coins and that in turn released a spigot that dispensed Holy water, until the weight of the coins over balanced the pan and dropped down into the bottom... This released pressure on the pan which shut off the spigot...

I was apparently wrong about the pre-Christian thing though...

#6    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

I seem to recall a story from my Bible School days about some really nasty **** going down once Jesus realized vendors were selling stuff in the temple.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#7    Ogbin

Ogbin

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

• "God Bless Israel"

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

Nothing I hear anymore about cathlic church suprises me.

#8    Jessem

Jessem

Future Husband

• 1,451 posts

• No matter what anyone say's, you can make a difference... you probably already have.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:42 AM

View PostTaun, on 25 June 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

Just looked it up and Hero (or Heron?) of Alexandria - the inventor of the first steam engine - invented the first known vending machine - 2,000 years ago...

It was a 'forced draft pump' that sat in the entry to Temples... A worshipper would drop a few coins in the top which would land on a pan... The pan would drop with the weight of the coins and that in turn released a spigot that dispensed Holy water, until the weight of the coins over balanced the pan and dropped down into the bottom... This released pressure on the pan which shut off the spigot...

I was apparently wrong about the pre-Christian thing though...

No, it was in the roman times, pre-christian, about 75 B.C. and used in roman/greek temples/judaic worship halls as well. And it was oil at first, but used for holy water later on about 100 years later.

Edited by Jessem, 26 June 2013 - 01:43 AM.

#9    Jessem

Jessem

Future Husband

• 1,451 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:44 AM

View PostRafterman, on 25 June 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

I seem to recall a story from my Bible School days about some really nasty **** going down once Jesus realized vendors were selling stuff in the temple.

He flipped the tables, chased out all the poeple from the temple, and compltely scared the crap out of hundreds of people. I believe this was also the same story as the woman about to be stoned for "adultry" "Cast the first stone if you are without sin."

#10    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,562 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

Hmmm, maybe they're trying to make up for all the money spent on legal fees & damage awards. The saddest part of this is that some people will actually use the vending machines. One of the things I like about the spiritual traditions of indigenous people is that no money changes hands.

#11    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,611 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

This is a nice idea. Religious shops sell these items all the time. This does not exactly warrant the negativity being offered or rise to the level of money changing in the temple.

Of course our opinion on any given topic reveals more about us than whatever we are opining on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users