Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

DOMA & Gay Marriage

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#46    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 7,002 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

i go to bed with three pillows every night.     .. nuff said.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#47    preacherman76

preacherman76

Ntwadumela- He who greets with fire

• 12,665 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

edit, wrong thread

Edited by preacherman76, 29 June 2013 - 12:02 PM.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#48    kargyrl10

kargyrl10

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

• Just smile, it leaves everyone wondering what you're up to.

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

Love these topics! They always give me a good laugh for the day...
There's always that one person who thinks that "straight people have always been able to marry, why should same sex couples be able... it's not FAIR"...
And then you get the ones who think about the equality in this...

Who cares?! Y'all are entitled to your own opinion, no one can say it's wrong... Because it's an opinion!!!

So, on that note... Here's my take:
... *clears throat*
I don't look at it from pin pointed side views.
I look at the fact that now there's arguments over same sex relationships... Where, in my opinion, SHOULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED A LONG TIME AGO!...  If the marriage laws would've stated that all relationships were able to marry when the whole thing was created, don't 'cha think this all wouldn't be as big of an issue as people are making it out to be?!  The whole 'gay pride' thing, the homophobic comments, etc. would seize to exist!
You're gay? ...
You're straight? ...
You're bisexual? ...
You're this? ...
You're that? ...
I don't care! If that's who you are, so be it!
I don't think twice about a sexuality preference in people...
If you're respectful to me, the same goes to you.
You disrespect me, the same goes to you.
That simple.
*finishes speech, takes a bow & exits stage left* :tsu:

Edited by kargyrl10, 30 June 2013 - 03:17 PM.

Just call me Karli...
It beats spelling out my screen name so often.

#49    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 2,784 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

Homosexuality has being going on forever. It's just that this day and age it's more
out in the  open instead of behind closed doors. The same goes for Pedophilia and Zoophilia.

Edited by Hawkin, 30 June 2013 - 03:53 PM.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve.
But to much skepticism can make you narrow minded to extraordinary possibilities.

#50    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,200 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

View PostHawkin, on 30 June 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

Homosexuality has being going on forever. It's just that this day and age it's more
out in the  open instead of behind closed doors. The same goes for Pedophilia and Zoophilia.
bravo.
Lets equate homosexuality with two abhorent practices that have nothing at all to do with, is not similar in any way with homosexuality.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#51    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 2,784 posts

• Some say he is dead.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:23 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 30 June 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

bravo.
Lets equate homosexuality with two abhorent practices that have nothing at all to do with, is not similar in any way with homosexuality.

Not similar? All 3 involve sex and have been going on for centuries. Just stating the facts.

But to much skepticism can make you narrow minded to extraordinary possibilities.

#52    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,200 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

View PostHawkin, on 01 July 2013 - 04:23 AM, said:

Not similar? All 3 involve sex and have been going on for centuries. Just stating the facts.
One is a violation of trust and destroys lives, another is (according to popular myth) why we have Ebola jumping from one species to another and the former is ... what two people of the same gender in love are called and is something that's present in other species.
Yes they're all about sex. So why didn't you include heterosexuality in that list?
Could it be because you wanted to damn by association something you find "icky"?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#53    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,780 posts

• ראה

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

I used to believe that civil unions would be the proper way to go, but anyone who has gay friends knows the depth of the prejudice that they have to deal with. Many straight men in particular, treat gay couples with disdain and open contempt.

You can argue if you want that it's immoral all day long, but from a strictly prejudicial standpoint the Supreme Court can't make gay marriages second-class, and claim to uphold the Constitution with a straight face. The argument of morality aside, it's clearly prejudicial not to allow gay marriages.

For the Christians who argue that it's immoral, I would argue that the epileptics who Jesus healed, and were led to believe to be demon possessed, are in example of how things change with time. Few if any Christians today would believe that an epileptic was demon possessed. 2000 years ago people would not have understood epilepsy. The same is true of people who are gay. People 2000 years ago could not have understood genetics the way we do today.

However, the gay community needs to understand that the same genes which make them gay also make many straight people deeply dislike homosexuality. That abhorrence will never go away completely, just as their gay genes will never go away. Thus, many forms of prejudice also have a genetic component, and only through education can that be overcome. Our natural reproductive instincts have a strong genetic component.

Having said this, I'm delighted for the gay community. Congratulations on a well-deserved victory.

Edited by Raptor Witness, 01 July 2013 - 09:52 AM.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#54    Myles

Myles

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,508 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 01 July 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

One is a violation of trust and destroys lives, another is (according to popular myth) why we have Ebola jumping from one species to another and the former is ... what two people of the same gender in love are called and is something that's present in other species.
Yes they're all about sex. So why didn't you include heterosexuality in that list?
Could it be because you wanted to damn by association something you find "icky"?

I think it was because he was referring to them being done behind closed doors in the past.   No need to imply anything else.

#55    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 2,784 posts

• Some say he is dead.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:18 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 01 July 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

Yes heterosexuality can be included. If it wasn't there would be no humans on earth. In my first comment I was merely stating facts
and didn't say anything negative or positive about the practices.
And for some reason you're getting bent out of shape. Care to explain?

#56    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 2,784 posts

• Some say he is dead.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:21 AM

View PostRaptor Witness, on 01 July 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

I used to believe that civil unions would be the proper way to go, but anyone who has gay friends knows the depth of the prejudice that they have to deal with. Many straight men in particular, treat gay couples with disdain and open contempt.

You can argue if you want that it's immoral all day long, but from a strictly prejudicial standpoint the Supreme Court can't make gay marriages second-class, and claim to uphold the Constitution with a straight face. The argument of morality aside, it's clearly prejudicial not to allow gay marriages.

For the Christians who argue that it's immoral, I would argue that the epileptics who Jesus healed, and were led to believe to be demon possessed, are in example of how things change with time. Few if any Christians today would believe that an epileptic was demon possessed. 2000 years ago people would not have understood epilepsy. The same is true of people who are gay. People 2000 years ago could not have understood genetics the way we do today.

However, the gay community needs to understand that the same genes which make them gay also make many straight people deeply dislike homosexuality. That abhorrence will never go away completely, just as their gay genes will never go away. Thus, many forms of prejudice also have a genetic component, and only through education can that be overcome. Our natural reproductive instincts have a strong genetic component.

Having said this, I'm delighted for the gay community. Congratulations on a well-deserved victory.

People don't like to be judged but yet they judge others. If it's not about someone that is gay then it's about someone that is
Fat, Bald, Race, Religion, Poor, Rich the list goes on.  We all are prejudice in some way.

#57    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 7,762 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:15 AM

A 30-Second Guide to How the Gay Marriage Ruling Affects You

In case you missed it, or just saw people screaming about it on Facebook, the U.S. Supreme Court just ruled that the federal government will now recognize gay marriages as legitimate (specifically, that the Defense of Marriage Act that had been preventing it was unconstitutional). BUT individual states are still free to pass their own laws.

Millions of people, most of whom are neither gay nor looking to get same-sex married, are loudly asking on the Internet how exactly this case impacts their life.

Posted Image

The Free Republic Message Board

For them we have provided a handy guide:

If You Are a Homosexual and Are Already Married:

The federal government now recognizes your marriage as a thing, and you are eligible for tax, health, and pension benefits under federal law like any other married couple, pending further political shenanigans. You can file taxes jointly, all that ****.

If You Are a Homosexual and Want to Get Married:

This does nothing to affect you UNLESS you live in California. States are still free to decide whether or not same-sex marriage is legal; if you live in Mississippi, this does not help you. But, the voter initiative to ban gay marriage in California is now dead, pending further legal challenges or other ****ery.

If You Are a Heterosexual and Do NOT Want to Enter into a Homosexual Marriage:

You will not be required to marry a gay person. This is a common misunderstanding. This decision actually does not affect you in any way.

If You Are Currently in a Heterosexual Marriage:

This decision does not affect you in any way.

If You Are a Heterosexual Who Is Not Currently Married:

Posted Image

If You Are a Heterosexual Who Hopes to Eventually Marry:

If You Are a Member of a Church That Performs Wedding Ceremonies but That Does Not Believe in Gay Marriage:

If You Are a Religious Official Who Performs Wedding Ceremonies but Who Thinks Gay Marriage Is Wrong:

If You Are an Individual Who Believes Gay Marriage or Homosexuality in General Is Wrong for Religious Reasons, and Wish to Continue Expressing Those Beliefs:

If You Are an Individual Who Believes Gay Marriage or Homosexuality in General Is Wrong for Non-Religious Reasons, and Wish to Continue Expressing Those Beliefs:

If You Are a Heterosexual Who Fears This Decision Adversely Affects Your Marriage or the Concept of Marriage in General:

If You Are a Heterosexual Who Fears This Decision Negatively Affects You in Some Way:

If You Are a Heterosexual Who Suffers Anger or Anxiety at the Thought of Gay Couples Getting Married as an Abstract Concept, and Believes the Only Cure Is to Legally Prevent Gay Marriage:

This decision will cause you some degree of anger or anxiety. Otherwise, this decision does not affect you in any way.

Hope this helps!

http://www.cracked.c...ng-affects-you/

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users