Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Horse Fossil Yields Astonishingly Old Genome

horse fossil genome human ancestors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,845 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

Researchers have recovered DNA from a nearly 700,000-year-old horse fossil and assembled a draft of the animal’s genome from it. It is the oldest complete genome to date by a long shot–hundreds of thousands of years older than the previous record holder, which came from an archaic human that lived around 80,000 years ago.

The genome elucidates the evolution of modern horses and their relatives, and raises the question of whether scientists might someday be able to obtain similarly ancient genomes of human ancestors.

http://blogs.scienti...n-genomes-next/

Posted Image

#2    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

Why does this article creep me out?  lol... maybe that whole using DNA from an animal that is 4 to 5 million years old to keep the lineage of a modern animal alive thing.  What if the ancient horse was a carnivore?  Or worse yet, a vampire!!  lol!

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#3    samus

samus

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:36 PM

Well, the 700,000 years old DNA of a horse is perhaps those of the lost Unicorns! :unsure2:

#4    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,680 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:09 AM

There's a My Little Pony joke in here, but I can't seem to find it

#5    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,988 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:49 AM

The optimist's child and the pessimist's child comes to mind.

"There has to be a pony here somewhere!"

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Anybody like Coleridge?

#6    marcos anthony toledo

marcos anthony toledo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

Now if only they can clone this over 700,000 year old horse to bring it back to life.

#7    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,988 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

Maybe they'll give us free rides with cotton candy purchase.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Anybody like Coleridge?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users