Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Did unicorns really exist?

unicorns magical creatures legends myths

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#46    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:47 PM

View PostJacques Terreur, on 27 June 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

it's SO on.......! ;)
SHIZZAH!

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#47    pokingjoker

pokingjoker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

so i must admit while i do find the idea of a unicorn possible, i tend to think its unlikely. as a horse with a horn or even horn like protrusion has not been noted in the fossil record. I must admit the fossil record is only a small percentage of the actual animals that existed. As there are many different species with "horns" why could one in the equestrian species existed.

#48    samus

samus

Psychic Spy

• 1,563 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:06 AM

It may be possible that a specie was lost thousands of years ago, a bred of wild horse with a kind of horn on it's head. Nothing of the kind as yet been discovered but who knows where they could have been and if they can now be retrieved. So, I guess that's a possibilty even if it's a myth in our days, I found more likely that a fair bred of horse now lost may have thread the Earth ages ago, then let's say the existence of mermaid for instance.

Edited by sam_comm, 06 July 2013 - 12:07 AM.

#49    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,716 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:12 AM

The norse traders from greenland started this myth, with norwhales and their ivory/horns, and the fact that most people didn't believe these horns could come from a sea creatures. And the myth (at least the northern european one) was born. Quiet simple. So yes, unicorns did/do exist. :)

#50    Collateral Damage

Collateral Damage

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

• "Anti-Americanism is a pure totalitarian concept. The very notion is idiotic."

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:20 AM

View PostLostSouls7, on 26 June 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

"I saw this one real wizard on youtube..."
Wait... Please, tell me you're kidding?

Undated letter from J.F.K. said:

"War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today."

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten."

#51    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• 1,464 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 05 July 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

That is what I was curious about. And why I asked how has the description has evolved? The source material would help a lot to disregard our "fairy tale" beautiful horse with an attractive horn.

The idea's just off the top of my head as being 'obvious', and I doubt I'm the first one to think of it. But if there were any surviving Greek source material describing a rhino in hippo terms, I imagine someone would have cited it by now.

#52    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 5,517 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

View PostPersonFromPorlock, on 07 July 2013 - 11:20 PM, said:

The idea's just off the top of my head as being 'obvious', and I doubt I'm the first one to think of it. But if there were any surviving Greek source material describing a rhino in hippo terms, I imagine someone would have cited it by now.

I wasn't speaking to only your idea, just it's source description compared to the one some of us think of today. How that has evolved, etc.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#53    billyf

billyf

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

• "I think that god in creating man somewhat over estimated his ability." Oscar Wilde

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 27 June 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Well, since no one offers evidence they don't really exist, we should conclude they do.  That at least is the argument for the existence of a lot of other things bandied about, including God.
you cant prove something dose not exist...exactly how do you expect some body to do this. we can prove that it is an improbability...no fossil record, no pictures of a live one, no dead unicorns found, ect. sorry but your argument is ridiculous.
i just noticed you may be being sarcastic...i hope thats the case.

Edited by billyf, 08 July 2013 - 10:53 PM.

so long and thanks for all the fish

#54    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,766 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

View PostCollateral Damage, on 06 July 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

Wait... Please, tell me you're kidding?
hes not! it was me! SHIZZAH!

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#55    DemonicCupcake

DemonicCupcake

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 98 posts

• "Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" - Abe

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Honestly, setting aside the whole magical side of it, the possibility of a race of horses with single horns on their head is not a far fetched idea.
It would make sense that they would have been driven to extinction before irrefutable evidence could be collected, due to hunting them for their horns. ESPECIALLY if when they were in existence, their horn was believed to hold magical properties.

#56    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,766 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

SHIZZAH

#57    Pax Unum

Pax Unum

< 420 Conspirator >

• 18,793 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

View PostDemonicCupcake, on 11 July 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

Honestly, setting aside the whole magical side of it, the possibility of a race of horses with single horns on their head is not a far fetched idea.
It would make sense that they would have been driven to extinction before irrefutable evidence could be collected, due to hunting them for their horns. ESPECIALLY if when they were in existence, their horn was believed to hold magical properties.

I'd still expect something would be found in the fossil record, especially since these animals were supposedly alive during recorded history...

#58    Ogbin

Ogbin

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

• "God Bless Israel"

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

You show me your Unicorn and i will show you my Sasquatch. :alien:

#59    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,766 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

View PostOgbin, on 11 July 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

You show me your Unicorn and i will show you my Sasquatch. :alien:
ill show you mt kraken if you show me your E.T

#60    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,295 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 27 June 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Well, since no one offers evidence they don't really exist, we should conclude they do.  That at least is the argument for the existence of a lot of other things bandied about, including God.

If your joking you should use a smiley thing if not that is not how the burden of proof works ;)

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

Also tagged with unicorns, magical, creatures, legends, myths

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users