Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

what's your personal religion?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#1    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,789 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:59 AM

POPULAR

Every now & then I experience a perfect moment, like tonight. A cool breeze blowing, the big dipper directly overhead, the sound of the surf so loud it sounds like it's on the next block, and a quiet mind. Having these small moments fills me with gratitude. This is my own personal religion. No dogma, no explanations, no excuses, no written words, no prophesy, no fear, no guilt, just simply being.

Anyone else have these moments? They never last very long, I try not to hold on to them, they're always unexpected, and I know it will come around again. In the meantime, chop wood, carry water.

#2    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:19 AM

Well thanks for this chance to talk about my personal views rather than only responding to things others post.

I was raised an atheist Communist, and, as such, went to school in the US for awhile, becoming acquainted with Christianity and the western forms of philosophical Buddhism.  As such nowadays I consider myself also a Buddhist, and now think some of the ideas of Buddhism, such as rebirth and enlightenment and the phenomenon of the Bodhisattva, probably have a reality to them.

I'm not a very good Buddhist, though, as I often lose patience and tend to think in Western terms of correct and error rather than in Buddhist terms of perspective.  I am of course still an atheist and Communist (in how I think society and the economy should be organized), but these contain no inherent contradictions with Buddhism.  Unlike earlier Communism, few modern Communists push for world revolution and do not forsee an upcoming collapse of the Western economic system -- just its gradual evolution.

#3    sutemi

sutemi

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:21 AM

Chop wood and carry water, reminds me of this song. It says so much.

#4    Arbenol

Arbenol

Poltergeist

• 2,254 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:27 AM

View PostBeany, on 27 June 2013 - 04:59 AM, said:

Every now & then I experience a perfect moment, like tonight. A cool breeze blowing, the big dipper directly overhead, the sound of the surf so loud it sounds like it's on the next block, and a quiet mind. Having these small moments fills me with gratitude. This is my own personal religion. No dogma, no explanations, no excuses, no written words, no prophesy, no fear, no guilt, just simply being.

Anyone else have these moments? They never last very long, I try not to hold on to them, they're always unexpected, and I know it will come around again. In the meantime, chop wood, carry water.

Nice post.

I know the feelings you describe. Moments like that don't need to be unexpected. I think we can actively seek them.

Getting out into the forest close to where I live will do it for me. Especially when I come across something like this:

Posted Image

#5    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:43 AM

Nice thread! Made my night, just from  the couple posts. And I could listen to Van Morrison endlessly.

Viewing the  northern lights while in the middle of a body of water as smooth as glass accompanied by silence.
One of my best moments ever.

Simpler: A nap on a hanging bench on a rainy afternoon with the windows open and a rain scented breeze blowing the sheers.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 27 June 2013 - 05:44 AM.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#6    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 8,306 posts

• I'd rather laugh than argue.

Choose your weapon.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:44 AM

Interesting concept, discussing religion in the Philosophy and Psychology forum.

Nevertheless, religion-wise, I have many beliefs. I believe that I'll never know whether or not god exists. I believe that I don't care whether or not it can be proved that god exists.

I believe that I exist in a fantastic universe that will never give us the answers as to 'who we are' and more importantly, 'why we are here'.

I believe that, in our case (humankind), the questions are more important than the answers. Maybe that's why spirituality intrigues us so much? We posed a question to ourselves that can never be answered. I believe that we just keep asking ourselves those seemingly impossible questions, just to keep ourselves going. I believe that if we ever thought that we answered all our questions, we'd stagnate and die.

I believe that the answer to our existence is to question the reasons for our existence and that should never end. Our path, hopefully, is the Mbius Strip.

Edited by Likely Guy, 27 June 2013 - 05:55 AM.

#7    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,824 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:35 AM

Listening to the birds sing or petting your cat or dog or other pet.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#8    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,287 posts

• - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

"Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

its that simple saying "just be being"

Posted Image

sometimes we demand what possibilities should be ... and forget that possibilities is just what is preceding it ...
the previous step ... and the next step and the next ...

sometimes we stumble because we tries to hop, most times we freeze because we dare not take another step

but life has to go on ... we either go on with life reluctantly ... or we go on without it with realisations or without

`

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

#9    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

I am an atheist Christian. Anyone who finds that confusing, can google it.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#10    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

The smell of the ocean carried on a crisp breeze.

The feel of the wind in my hair.

The first kiss of sunshine when I step outside.

The cold of the tip of my nose on a frosty morning and seeing my own breath as an exhalation of fog before me.  

Dew on the grass and the scent that comes with it.

I could go on and on.

There is a line in a song called "Miracle Drug" by U2 that I have always absolutely loved and really nails it for me:

"Freedom has a scent, like the top of a new born baby's head
The songs are in your eyes, I see them when you smile
I've seen enough, I'm not giving up....."

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#11    Odds

Odds

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

• -Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes... After that, who cares. Your a mile away and you have his shoes. -

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

I guess i'm a non-practicing Catholic. I considered myself Agnostic because i didn't believe in religion, the bible, etc, but i still believed in a higher power, so that didn't fit. So i'm someone who believes along those lines, lol.

~Today's mighty Oak is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground~

#12    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 5,343 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

Cosmology.

As in, the science of the natural universe.  What is all around us is unbelievable beautiful, astonishingly simple yet intricate and complex, and all built upon relatively simple basic building blocks that obey some basic and logical - and some strange and seemingly illogical - laws...

That is all plenty for me, without inventing all-powerful (yet weirdly unfair and vengeful) overlords and other similar fantastic inventions to try to explain it...

There are answers out there, and they won't be found by people sitting around looking serious and saying 'Isn't life mysterious?' - Tim Minchin ('Storm')
My garden is already magical and beyond beautiful - I do not need to invent fairies... - me
The truth ONLY hurts when it slaps you in the face after you haven't done proper homework and made silly claims... - me

#13    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

Religion is a social and cultural affair, as well as being personal, and I think we err if we leave out these aspects.  Personal feelings are not religion, although they can be part of it.

#14    Papagiorgio

Papagiorgio

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

• I'm just saying.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

Hearing my son cry for the first time when he was born was mind altering.
Music can also take me to a special private paradise. I  love music.

I'm just saying.

#15    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,789 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostArbenol68, on 27 June 2013 - 05:27 AM, said:

Nice post.

I know the feelings you describe. Moments like that don't need to be unexpected. I think we can actively seek them.

Getting out into the forest close to where I live will do it for me. Especially when I come across something like this:

Posted Image
That literally took my breath away for a moment.Thanks for the post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users