Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

what's your personal religion?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#106    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:13 AM

View PostDarkwind, on 02 July 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

Boy, Red you got a lot to learn about the nature of humor. I have often found under the joke is truth. Wise men come from all walks of life,  including comedians, chefs and artist.  One of the wisest men I knew worked in an auto plant.

The best comedians are the ones with depression.  That may be why carlin died a bitter old man.,

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#107    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:25 AM

View Postsutemi, on 02 July 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

Red Hen, The OP asks, what is your PERSONAL religion, so what’s your problem?

Personal religion? That sounds like a contradiction.

Aren’t other people allowed to have any beliefs you don’t like? It doesn’t ask for ‘expert opinions only’.

Absolutely! But then that would be philosophy or spirituality, something that can be practiced alone.

I posted the clip because I found it entertaining and thought others would to. I think both of them make good points i.e. B.Hicks ‘life is a dream’ The Taoist Master Chuang Tzu would agree with that

The famous Butterfly analogy, yes, point taken. But there's a lot more to Taoism that I suspect Mr. Hicks would not be amenable to. i.e. the retention of semen and avoidance of ejaculation.

and G.Carlins ‘non judgemental God, that just ‘IS’, sounds okay to me. As to ‘The Big Electron’ maybe he was influenced by Quantum Mechanics? Who knows? It is a shame you didn’t enjoy the clip but we aren’t all the same but some others did. I am sorry you didn’t. take care

Exactly who know? Unfortunately George didn't elaborate.

It's the cavalier and superficial one-liners that I can't take seriously. After all life is a serious matter, so is death.

I do have a healthy sense of humour, in case you missed my previous link.

But it's important to recognize these things as satire/comedy and not confuse them with a serious study of religion.

#108    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,789 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:15 AM

Sometimes serious studies of religion sound like satire to me. In the meantime, I'll define those terms that are important to me in ways that make sense to me, without asking permission or approval. And I hope everyone else feels comfortable doing the same. It's kinda like being in a huge swimming pool. We're all in the water, some of us are floating, some doing the crawl, or back stroke, dog paddling, or just hanging on to the side. It's all good.

#109    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:24 AM

As has been pointed out before, we can use words however we like, but if we persist on calling the moon, "Aunt Martha," and say, "Aunt Martha is full tonight," people will wonder.

#110    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:35 AM

A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet.  Shakspear(sph) I think.

There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#111    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 5,507 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:07 AM

Beany said:

Sometimes serious studies of religion sound like satire to me. In the meantime, I'll define those terms that are important to me in ways that make sense to me, without asking permission or approval. And I hope everyone else feels comfortable doing the same. It's kinda like being in a huge swimming pool. We're all in the water, some of us are floating, some doing the crawl, or back stroke, dog paddling, or just hanging on to the side. It's all good.

And some drowning. I wonder what the drowning ones are thinking about. I wonder if they consider the personal religion they chose for themselves in life is still relevant to them in that moment.

I wonder if someone who has a beautiful spiritual vision of life in one circumstance, if that vision would change for them in some different circumstance.

Just wondering.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#112    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,314 posts

• - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

"Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

Posted Image

WHat does it mean when they say " There is no right answer to everything but everything has a right answer "

~

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

#113    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,789 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 03 July 2013 - 03:07 AM, said:

And some drowning. I wonder what the drowning ones are thinking about. I wonder if they consider the personal religion they chose for themselves in life is still relevant to them in that moment.

I wonder if someone who has a beautiful spiritual vision of life in one circumstance, if that vision would change for them in some different circumstance.

Just wondering.

Metaphorically speaking I have been drowning, and it was my personal belief system that kept me alive. For which I give thanks every day. I believe the divine reveals itself every moment, there is no place where the divine isn't. For me, I find it it nature and in my friends & family, not within the structure of a church. But this is just my personal experience. Different strokes for different folks; what works for one may not work for another.

#114    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

You sound as though you believe because you need to believe to get through life.  We should believe if we are genuinely persuaded by objective and hard-thought reasoning and facts.

#115    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,314 posts

• - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

"Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

The worse thing in my experience is to ask some divine power to 'prove' something to convince oneself ... the saying ' careful what you ask for ' or ' careful what you wish for ' comes to mind .. you just might get it ... and it might not be what you think or wished for ...

~

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

#116    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

View Postdanielost, on 03 July 2013 - 02:35 AM, said:

A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet.  Shakspear(sph) I think.

...and so would a skunk, would it not?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#117    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 03 July 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

...and so would a skunk, would it not?

If you think a skunk smells sweet, yes it would.  There might be some people who do.  The army was trying to build a stink bomb to use on the enemy.  The problem they had was not everyone considered it bad smell.

Christ said, only the wicked would look for signs.  Which takes as back to my statement open your eyes and you will see god at work. Until you do that you will never accept any signs anyways.

Edited by danielost, 03 July 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#118    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,356 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 03 July 2013 - 03:07 AM, said:

Just wondering.
Ever been caught in a rip tide. You're happily splashing around and look up and you're headed out to sea. If you keep your head, you don't fight it, you just drift with it kind of swimming parallel (being sure to rest and not over tire) to the shore until you're out of it.  You can't fight it you'll drowned, because you tire out.  My spiritual Path has taught me how to float and think for myself. Being able to think for myself has gotten me out of a lot of scrapes, than I can count. All that flailing around, will wear you out, just chill and float.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#119    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,789 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:06 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 03 July 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

You sound as though you believe because you need to believe to get through life.  We should believe if we are genuinely persuaded by objective and hard-thought reasoning and facts.

How ever I sound, I have brought to bear some objective reasoning, facts, information and knowledge. I didn't come to my faith quickly or easily, and it's been tested many times. And it is not the same as it was 5 years ago, or even a year ago, as I continue to move through life and gain new experiences, insights, & information, and it probably won't be the same a year from now.

Every January I adopt a practice for the year. This year it's moving out of resistance/letting go of whatever situation is making me crazy. So I've learned a few important things about myself & the universe & spirit through this practice. One year it was believing only in what I know to be true for myself. Gained a lot of insight to myself & others, & about spirituality & religion. One year it was gratitude. It changed the nature of my prayers to that of only giving thanks. I'm not just sitting around thinking about this stuff, I'm practicing it, which for me is a far better learning/teaching environment than that of any religious institution. But, hey, that's just me. There are lots of different reasons people have faith, and not all of it is objective, nor is objectivity or reason the sole path to faith. Sounds like it's your way, and in some respects I share that with you, but given the diversity on this planet, I can't reasonably expect everyone to share my opinion.

#120    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:25 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 03 July 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

You have to believe in miracles before they can become facts to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users