Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

what's your personal religion?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#121    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

Whats wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:24 AM

View PostBeany, on 03 July 2013 - 02:15 AM, said:

Sometimes serious studies of religion sound like satire to me. In the meantime, I'll define those terms that are important to me in ways that make sense to me, without asking permission or approval. And I hope everyone else feels comfortable doing the same. It's kinda like being in a huge swimming pool. We're all in the water, some of us are floating, some doing the crawl, or back stroke, dog paddling, or just hanging on to the side. It's all good.
What about those that can't swim?

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#122    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,789 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:15 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 04 July 2013 - 02:24 AM, said:

What about those that can't swim?

That's what the shallow end of the pool is for. And if someone gets in over their head, as we ALL do at some point, there are plenty of experienced swimmers and lifeguards to help that person to shallower waters. In community, there are all sorts of different skills and levels of skill, we're all here to enjoy ourselves, get the most out of life we can, and to watch over each other.

Edited by Beany, 04 July 2013 - 03:15 AM.

#123    Lorelilly

Lorelilly

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:05 AM

I was born a Catholic and I was baptized twice. My Mother was afraid the first Priest was too drunk so she had be baptized the following week by a different Priest. That could either make be doubly blessed or doubly cursed.

Anyway. I believe in a higher power and who or what it is I'm not sure. I pray every night and thank my God for all I'm blessed with. I don't have nor do I want material things. When I look at so many who have so little it breaks my heart.

A glass of Merlot, Bruce playing Thunder Road, rain on the window pane and a book...that is my heaven.

Religion pits man against man, conqueror over conquered, you against me...a never ending battle that leads to nowhere.

pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until in our despair there comes wisdom through the awful grace of God  ~Aeschylus

#124    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,789 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:03 AM

View PostLorelilly, on 04 July 2013 - 04:05 AM, said:

I was born a Catholic and I was baptized twice. My Mother was afraid the first Priest was too drunk so she had be baptized the following week by a different Priest. That could either make be doubly blessed or doubly cursed.

Anyway. I believe in a higher power and who or what it is I'm not sure. I pray every night and thank my God for all I'm blessed with. I don't have nor do I want material things. When I look at so many who have so little it breaks my heart.

A glass of Merlot, Bruce playing Thunder Road, rain on the window pane and a book...that is my heaven.

Religion pits man against man, conqueror over conquered, you against me...a never ending battle that leads to nowhere.

There's something seriously wrong with a belief system that pits people against one another. I've had enough of systems built on exclusion instead of inclusion. Ever read GB Shaw's Aerial Football, where the Bishop dies, goes to heaven, and is horrified that the pearly gates have been rusted open, and Matthew, Mark, Luke & John are playing football? The bishop scurries away, because he's pretty sure a place that will let anyone in couldn't be heaven.

#125    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,245 posts

• - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

"Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:58 AM

A recommended read no matter what ones beliefs or religion ....

The Spirit of the West is our friend if we accept him, but our enemy if we
    are possessed by him; our friend if we open our hearts to him, our enemy if
    we yield him our hearts; our friend if we take from that which suits us, our
    enemy if we let ourselves be used to suit him.39

Kahlil Gibran “The Voice of the Poet”

He (Kahlil Gibran) once declared that he “kept Jesus in one half of his bosom
and Muhammad in the other,”
and constantly expressed his belief in the
fundamental unity of religion and the many ways to truth. His desire to
reconcile Christianity and Islam, as well as being instinctive, was practical
in that he foresaw the dangers of sectarianism in Lebanon as well as the
insidious Western interventionist policies that such division would
provoke.

KAHLIL GIBRAN: MAN AND POET © Suheil Bushrui and Joe Jenkins, 1998

~

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

#126    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

What do you do if you are a budding young Communist atheist who in particular thinks the gods of the ancestral island of Hanan are so much superstition (large numbers of people migrated from there to Vietnam and Thailand several hundred years ago) and your relatives and friends all think it a good idea for you to submit to having a small sword inserted in your cheek in such a way as to pin your hand to the outside of your cheek for a day to demonstrate your love for your ancestral deities, and your Party leader thinks its a good idea to avoid trouble with the village but its my choice to make?

The business is dangerous, plainly barbaric, often leaves a permanent scar, and is damn painful: all stuff you can bring yourself to endure if you believe, but I didn't.  Well, I did it anyway and it went off okay.  I guess that's one of the differences between the attitudes toward religions in Asia and in the West  An adherent of an Abrahamic religion would never do something the least out of their way in favor of an Asian religion; I did so mainly for friends and family and party.

For reasons that I can't figure, this all reminds me of My Great Greek Wedding, where the groom gives up his family's easy religion for Greek Orthodoxy, because he loves his wife.  Why not?

#127    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,245 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

Better than this lot ?

Posted Image

Hmmm ... I wonder ...

~

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
~

#128    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,323 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

What has been seen cannot be unseen.  :passifier:

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#129    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

Actually that one doesn't bother me; he is plainly in no discomfort; it's some sort of trick.

#130    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,245 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

Oh no Frank ... you are sorely mistaken ... and that is one of the more conservative ones ... you should google and see some of the more outlandish ...
which would not be suited for UM posting ...

;)

~

~

#131    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,323 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

Some peoples pain center are next to their pleasure center and are cross wired. It is not that they feel pain it just they like it.  That was my take on it when I was into all the brain stuff.  Somethings just come down to wiring. :wacko: IMO

Edited by Darkwind, 10 July 2013 - 04:41 PM.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users