Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

what's your personal religion?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#16    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,337 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostChrlzs, on 27 June 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

Cosmology.

As in, the science of the natural universe.  What is all around us is unbelievable beautiful, astonishingly simple yet intricate and complex, and all built upon relatively simple basic building blocks that obey some basic and logical - and some strange and seemingly illogical - laws...

That is all plenty for me, without inventing all-powerful (yet weirdly unfair and vengeful) overlords and other similar fantastic inventions to try to explain it...

Well said, Chrizs. The natural universe is my church, my deity, it's where I re-discover the sacred over & over, where my ego momentarily disappears. This may sounds weird, but often when I look at the night sky and think about how small & unimportant & temporal I am, I am comforted.

#17    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,387 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

Modern people in advanced countries can find many pleasures and don't suffer all that much if they control their desires.  Most people around the world are not so fortunate, and spend their days in toil and uncertainty.  Other sentient beings on the planet definately are even worse off.  In the fullness of time we all must deal with the aging and death of our loved ones and of ourselves.

In short, life is a b****, and then we die.

This is I know the opposite of the (to me) sentimental posts seen above, but it is the reality of life.  I think the foundation of religion must be the recognition of that reality and the avoidance of trying to whitewash it.

#18    MacsMom

MacsMom

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

• Random crap that no one reads anyway

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

There are those moments when all is right with the universe and I am at peace.

I was raised Christian Methodist, but married Baptists so that's where I've spent most of my church years.

I believe in God (higher power) but I think He checked out a long time ago.  We as humans were an experiment gone wrong and He's moved on.  I think we are now pretty much on our own.  

I do believe in life after death as in we continue to exist in some way but perhaps not the streets of gold, harps and butterflies kind of thing.  Not even sure about the eternal damnation thing, either.

Happiness is where you find it, fate is what you make it, and your destiny is in your own hands.

Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along.  Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder where those years have gone?

#19    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,337 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 27 June 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Religion is a social and cultural affair, as well as being personal, and I think we err if we leave out these aspects.  Personal feelings are not religion, although they can be part of it.

I was referring to the experience, not the feelings around it. The feelings are a result of the experience. The experience itself is akin to the mystical. And I see no reason why I can't have a set of religious/spiritual beliefs that are unique to me. Although I suspect there are a lot more people like me, who are done with religious institutions and are seeking or have found a direct experience of the divine, however momentary that experience may be; it is a teaching & learning moment.

#20    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,337 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

View PostMacsMom, on 27 June 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

I was raised Christian Methodist, but married Baptists so that's where I've spent most of my church years.

I believe in God (higher power) but I think He checked out a long time ago.  We as humans were an experiment gone wrong and He's moved on.  I think we are now pretty much on our own.  

I do believe in life after death as in we continue to exist in some way but perhaps not the streets of gold, harps and butterflies kind of thing.  Not even sure about the eternal damnation thing, either.

Happiness is where you find it, fate is what you make it, and your destiny is in your own hands.

I love that last line. You captured my philosophy in a just a few words.

#21    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,797 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostBeany, on 27 June 2013 - 04:59 AM, said:

Every now & then I experience a perfect moment, like tonight. A cool breeze blowing, the big dipper directly overhead, the sound of the surf so loud it sounds like it's on the next block, and a quiet mind. Having these small moments fills me with gratitude. This is my own personal religion. No dogma, no explanations, no excuses, no written words, no prophesy, no fear, no guilt, just simply being.

Anyone else have these moments? They never last very long, I try not to hold on to them, they're always unexpected, and I know it will come around again. In the meantime, chop wood, carry water.

Oh my, the last couple of months, umm most everyday. It is not like I don't have ups and downs and totally lose it, that is life, but I have come to the place within myself where all is one and I am at peace.

This kind of says it all. Enjoy.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#22    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,968 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

Posted Image

my mantra for quite some time now ... why worry ? Live .... as life let live ...

:tu:

`

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#23    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,319 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

View PostMacsMom, on 27 June 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

I look at desastersand can vsee god's hands in there.  The tornado that flattened a schooo but no one was killed in it.  A man surviving for two weeks in a building flatened by an earth guake.  Another earthguake which should have killed thousands but only hundreds were due to the timing of the quake.  Another city were thousands should have been hurt but onl ten were hurt and only one was killed again due to timing.  God is every where.  The neww born

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#24    Katzenking

Katzenking

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

My personal religion? Very interesting question. I have to think a while before I can answer...
There are many good answers already posted on this thread and many of them agree with my belief.

I belong to a big christian community but this is rather a family and social issue and has not much influence on my own (secret) believes.

The song 'Personal Jesus' from Depeche Mode comes into my mind:
Your own Personal Jesus
Someone to hear your prayers
Someone who cares
Someone who's there

Throughout my live I had many mysterious experiences and that's probably why I ended up on this website. I will tell about them when an according topic comes up.

I think many of us at least HOPE that our existence does not end with death. Nobody knows for sure but let's consider it. What consequences would the possibility of afterlife have?

First of all I think that the problems wouldn't stop. Keeping the balance right is always extremely important.
When we die we not only lose our money and wealth but also our memorization.
The only thing which possibly stays is our personality and character, which is in my view identical with our soul.
So I believe that fighting negative habits is always a good thing and I think all religions in the world can agree with that. Jealousy, enviousness and avarice should be wiped out in a strong personality and this is possible. Even when our societies teach us to be greedy.
To eliminate 'Hate' is more difficult. Perhaps because it is related to 'Love'. I admit that I have still problems with this habit and think that sometimes it could be necessary...
Well, I don't know, may be someone else has an idea about this.

The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it.
- Friedrich Nietzsche -

#25    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

View PostBeany, on 27 June 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

I was referring to the experience, not the feelings around it. The feelings are a result of the experience. The experience itself is akin to the mystical. And I see no reason why I can't have a set of religious/spiritual beliefs that are unique to me.

The definition of religion denotes something that binds or ties people together. This is also why I abstained from this poll.

#26    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,968 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:06 PM

View Postredhen, on 27 June 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

The definition of religion denotes something that binds or ties people together. This is also why I abstained from this poll.

And with that out of the way Red, you need not abstain any longer ...

:)

`

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#27    flbrnt

flbrnt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:24 PM

There is more wisdom on this thread than in all the mega churches out there. Thank you, friends, for restoring my hope for humanity. Some of us get it.

#28    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,319 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 27 June 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

Modern people in advanced countries can find many pleasures and don't suffer all that much if they control their desires.  Most people around the world are not so fortunate, and spend their days in toil and uncertainty.  Other sentient beings on the planet definately are even worse off.  In the fullness of time we all must deal with the aging and death of our loved ones and of ourselves.

In short, life is a b****, and then we die.

This is I know the opposite of the (to me) sentimental posts seen above, but it is the reality of life.  I think the foundation of religion must be the recognition of that reality and the avoidance of trying to whitewash it.

Don't budhists teach to commune with nature, ie be one with it.  That is all these sentimental posts are talking about.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#29    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:58 PM

View Postdanielost, on 27 June 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

I look at desastersand can vsee god's hands in there.  The tornado that flattened a schooo but no one was killed in it.  A man surviving for two weeks in a building flatened by an earth guake.  Another earthguake which should have killed thousands but only hundreds were due to the timing of the quake.  Another city were thousands should have been hurt but onl ten were hurt and only one was killed again due to timing.  God is every where.  The neww born

Publicly I am a liberal Lutheran, and make a living by celebrating that on a weekly basis while uttering strategic words that tend towards universalism. Privately I am never so calm as when I'm camped out in the woods, far from the madding crowd, relaxing by the campfire and trying to forget the idiocies and degradations I've seen. Since others are quoting musical artists, here's mine:

"Hurricane Annie ripped the ceiling off the church and killed everyone inside; you turn on the telly and every other story is telling you somebody died; sister killed her baby 'cause she couldn't afford to feed it --we were sending people to the moon--in September my cousin tried reefer for the very first time, now he's doin' horse--it's June. . ." -Prince, "Sign O' the Times," 1986.

See Job 1:21

Edited by szentgyorgy, 28 June 2013 - 12:03 AM.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#30    notforgotten

notforgotten

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

• The educated lie can be the most deceiving...gullible people believe them without question.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:32 AM

Christianity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users