Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Your biggest regret?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,046 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

For myself, I don't know about regrets. If I had done things differently in my life I wouldn't be who and where I am now, and who's to say my life would have turned out better?

A farmer's son, while taming the farmer's horse, fell off and broke his leg. Neighbors came and said "What bad luck!" The farmer said, "Maybe."
A week later soldiers came to conscript young men into the army, but due to the farmer's son's broken leg they passed him over. The neighbors said, "What good luck!" The farmer said, "Maybe."
A week later the farmer's horse ran away. Neighbors said, "What bad luck!" The farmer said, "Maybe."
A week later the horse returned leading four more horses into the corral. Neighbors said, "What good luck!" The farmer said, "Maybe."

Edited by StarMountainKid, 28 June 2013 - 05:16 PM.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#17    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,635 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 28 June 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

For myself, I don't know about regrets. If I had done things differently in my life I wouldn't be who and where I am now, and who's to say my life would have turned out better?

A farmer's son, while taming the farmer's horse, fell off and broke his leg. Neighbors came and said "What bad luck!" The farmer said, "Maybe."
A week later soldiers came to conscript young men into the army, but due to the farmer's son's broken leg they passed him over. The neighbors said, "What good luck!" The farmer said, "Maybe."
A week later the farmer's horse ran away. Neighbors said, "What bad luck!" The farmer said, "Maybe."
A week later the horse returned leading four more horses into the corral. Neighbors said, "What good luck!" The farmer said, "Maybe."

Your story makes a good point

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#18    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,635 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostRyu, on 28 June 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

My "reget" is going to college for something totally useless.

Dude im in college now and i am always afraid that what i get from college will be useless in the real world. A lot of students fear this

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#19    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:17 PM

The funny thing about regret is...  it's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't done.

By the way...  If you see your Mom this weekend, be sure and tell her  SATAN!

#20    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,676 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 28 June 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

What did you go for? If you don't mind me asking

Multi-media and Web Design.

Originally I had this brain-shrunken idea that I wanted to do either game character design or maybe work with places that produced manga. I wasn't all that interested in commercial design which is what the course focused on.
First there has to be an actual market PLUS one has to have the skills in drawing. After years of trying to delude myself into thinking I had any I had to admit to myself that I really didn't and never did.

#21    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

View PostRyu, on 28 June 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

Multi-media and Web Design.

Originally I had this brain-shrunken idea that I wanted to do either game character design or maybe work with places that produced manga. I wasn't all that interested in commercial design which is what the course focused on.
First there has to be an actual market PLUS one has to have the skills in drawing. After years of trying to delude myself into thinking I had any I had to admit to myself that I really didn't and never did.
ahhh I see, yeah I use to want to draw comics but seriously you have to be extremely good at drawing, and Im pretty good, but even If i had arts not the type of thing you can depend on if you  have bills and all of that to pay

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#22    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,723 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

I didn't move to Canada when I had the chance.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#23    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 28 June 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

Rice and noodles and other carbs are just as bad as wheat, and don't say we don't eat wheat -- bread is everywhere.

I think the biggest offender in my case are the American colas and beer and a think called "cintos" that we have here (crushed ice, fresh fruit, sugar, more sugar, condensed milk in a blender).

My blood pressure and blood sugar are under reasonable control, and there is little to be done about my liver.  I did a black chockolate detox awhile back (not pleasant but it seems to have helped as my enzymes went to normal).   The real offender here was too much beer and hepatitis back before there were treatments.

The valves in my heart don't close properly and there is little to be done about that except to replace them, which will probably be done in awhile.  This is why I can't walk about much.

I don't know what acupuncture could do for me.  However I have no particular worship of Western medicine, considering the profit orientation of the drug companies, but generally don't trust Chinese herbs either, except for my tea and allergy relief.

They have acupuncture clinics there ,and sometimes we go and learn the protocols .
I was supposed to go in 2001,but it fell thru because of 911.
My former teacher went,and she lost a ton of weight ,in just six weeks ,eating only rice based items.
I know they have wheat ,but its not prevalent,unless you go look for it . Japan is the same way .

Herbs would be good for your liver ,but if you aren't open to it ,then theres nothing to be done .
I hope your valve replacement at least happens expeditiously.

Miss me?

#24    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

not being there in my brothers final hours............we were so close and we let something get between us, and when the time came i didnt think it would make a difference if i was there, i thought he was to strong to lose, i was wrong and i live with it every day

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#25    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,723 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:04 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 28 June 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

Rice and noodles and other carbs are just as bad as wheat, and don't say we don't eat wheat -- bread is everywhere.

I think the biggest offender in my case are the American colas and beer and a think called "cintos" that we have here (crushed ice, fresh fruit, sugar, more sugar, condensed milk in a blender).

My blood pressure and blood sugar are under reasonable control, and there is little to be done about my liver.  I did a black chockolate detox awhile back (not pleasant but it seems to have helped as my enzymes went to normal).   The real offender here was too much beer and hepatitis back before there were treatments.

The valves in my heart don't close properly and there is little to be done about that except to replace them, which will probably be done in awhile.  This is why I can't walk about much.

I don't know what acupuncture could do for me.  However I have no particular worship of Western medicine, considering the profit orientation of the drug companies, but generally don't trust Chinese herbs either, except for my tea and allergy relief.
I lost a 100 lbs, lots fruit and veggies, complex carbs, (you need carbs for energy) high fiber, stay away from the white stuff, potatoes, sugar, white flour and portion control. I have a treat once in a while. You know what I found works really well for my allergies is local honey, but it has to be local from the farmer. Not the whatever it is in the bear, I don't think it is really honey. Usually by this time of year I am all blocked up but the honey worked and I don't need the allergy pills.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#26    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,260 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:02 AM

View PostRyu, on 28 June 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

My "reget" is going to college for something totally useless.
Tell me about it; I studied astronomy.  Question:  "How do you get the recent astronomy graduate off your doorstep?"  Answer: "Pay for the pizza."

#27    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,260 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:11 AM

Losing weight is not hard, and several of you have mentioned dietary approaches that do it (mainly brown rice and whole grains for carbs, lots of fruits and veggies).  An exercise program is also necessary for this.  For ethical reasons I don't eat meat.  I also have a hell of a time with brown rice, as no one else in the house will eat it (it is viewed in Asia as animal fodder and below human dignity), requiring the cook to do my meals separate from the rest of the family.  Needless to say this creates resistance.

My problem is that I always put the lost weight back on in a few months, and then some.  I think this is now recognized as something the body does to you that we evolved back in the days of periodic famine.  This yo-yo is worse than just sitting at a certain weight because it slowly increases the fat.  Will power is good but of limited effectiveness -- you can use will power to hold your breath for awhile, but eventually your body overrules you.

#28    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:04 AM

We all have regrets and it's part of human nature. We feel we should have turned right when we turned left.
The question is, if we had a time machine and could go back and change things, would we eventually regret
doing that. The people you now know and love probably exist in your lives because of some regrets of your past.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much skepticism
can make you narrow minded to all possibilities no matter how unconventional.

#29    Blue Star

Blue Star

Telekinetic

• 7,298 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

View Posttapirmusic, on 28 June 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

The funny thing about regret is...  it's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't done.

By the way...  If you see your Mom this weekend, be sure and tell her  SATAN!

#30    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,195 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

I look back and I'm happy to say I don't have very large regrets. I have been very very lucky in my decision making.  

The regret that I do have was turning to alcohol during a depressed period in my life. I was self medicating dealing with some psychological pain. Ultimately abusing alcohol damaged me way more. I was not abusive or anything like that, but I acted and said things that were so far away from what I am about it puts a Knott in my stomach just thinking about it. Ultimately it damaged my self esteem. Luckily when it was happening I became fed up with myself and sought counseling. Two years of therapy. I look back at that seeker and I shake my head in disgust, yet somehow I feel I needed to be knocked down a bit to have the knowledge of what it's like to be there.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users