Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Strange object found on mars

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#31    Allterspace

Allterspace

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:25 AM

Now we know where all those aweful 90's compact disks end up after I threw them out the window.

#32    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:48 AM

View Postseeder, on 28 June 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

NASA wont investigate? What? They provided the damn picture, didnt they?

But, do you know, and I mean, have you bothered to research, the scale of the object? Its actual/approx size?  Do you?
Oh yeah... its just "the size of a grain of sand"..... like all the other weird "rocks"
Have a look at the original photo..... Sheesh !!!

#33    Ad hoc

Ad hoc

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 141 posts

• A man's worth is no greater than his ambitions.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:52 AM

Well, doesn't really look like a CD to me, other than in a passing way. Is there any indication of size?

View PostBarnabasCollins, on 28 June 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

I don't think that's a hole in the center.  On close-up, it looks more like a rock right in the center of whatever the object is.
Yeah, same.

View PostZeta Reticulum, on 28 June 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

NASA will not investigate this object in front of the world. Just like the plank of sawn wood, the "flower" growing out of the rock. It's just a rock folks !!!!!
Anyone got any pictures of circular gold rocks with holes in the middle - so that we can completely trash anybody who so dares to suggest that this is anything other than natural?
Will a picture of a roughly round, whitish rock with mottled reddish streaks and a darker pebble sitting on it do? Because there's totally one in this very thread. :P

#34    Ad hoc

Ad hoc

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 141 posts

• A man's worth is no greater than his ambitions.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:57 AM

It does look interesting though. doesn't look necessarily gold to me, but it does look shiny. Seems to have a gleam.

#35    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:32 AM

I hope it's at least Blu-ray...

Posted Image

#36    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,778 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:38 AM

Shhhhh! Remember we did go there last year ! RIP Mid ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#37    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:11 AM

View PostJesseCuster, on 28 June 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

I checked the Curiosity picture archives on NASA's website.  Whatever it is, it appears on 2 consecutive shots taken by the rover's Mastcam taken on June 19th. Click to zoom in.
Close ups of the objects from the 2 above pics, zoomed in with no interpolation algorithms to blur them.  Unfortunately these aren't the actual raw images as the JPEG artefacting is very obvious.  I'd like to have a look at the originals.

Could you provide a direct link to the NASA page with these images.
Thanks

#38    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,087 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:17 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 29 June 2013 - 03:11 AM, said:

Could you provide a direct link to the NASA page with these images.
Thanks
This is the archive from Sol 309 from which the photos were taken:

http://mars.jpl.nasa...09&camera=MAST_

Click the "full resolution" link under the pic to see the full-res (or highest res available) photo available on that archive.  The photos in question are in the top row of that set - the two most upper-right pics in the set.

Edited by JesseCuster, 29 June 2013 - 03:21 AM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#39    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:47 AM

Does it have anything to do with the holes Curiosity drills, laser pitting or tests it performs?

As I was searching for the images I watched a video on Curiosity's 17 cameras. They talked about the Mast cam this was shot with, but now I can't find it.

Found it:

http://www.popphoto....iositys-cameras

Edited by QuiteContrary, 29 June 2013 - 03:53 AM.

#40    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:58 AM

More :http://www.popphoto....ose-photos-mars

It's all Greek to me but would mean something to someone else when evaluating the OP image.

#41    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:02 AM

Inserting lots of cool stuff on mars

#42    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,087 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:58 AM

View Postcoolguy, on 29 June 2013 - 04:02 AM, said:

Inserting lots of cool stuff on mars
Wise words, coolguy, wise words.  We all appreciate your continually deep and thoughtful contributions to threads like this - "interestinig, could be true" "cool story, might be something to it" "thanks for posting, this might be true"... etc. Penetratingly wise posts that make us all step back and reconsider our position on such interesting subjects as extraterrestrial life, life beyond death, etc.

Long may you continue to light up threads with your wise postings like this.

Edited by JesseCuster, 29 June 2013 - 05:01 AM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#43    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostJesseCuster, on 28 June 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

I checked the Curiosity picture archives on NASA's website.  Whatever it is, it appears on 2 consecutive shots taken by the rover's Mastcam taken on June 19th. Click to zoom in.

Close ups of the objects from the 2 above pics, zoomed in with no interpolation algorithms to blur them.  Unfortunately these aren't the actual raw images as the JPEG artefacting is very obvious.  I'd like to have a look at the originals.

Looks like part of an alien hyper space drive generator to me.  They probably stopped off at Mars for a quick repair but got spooked by the Rover.  They got careless and dropped some litter.

Posted Image

#44    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,033 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

View Postpallidin, on 28 June 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

There was a CD-ROM that was aboard a NASA Mars spacecraft that had 930,000 names on it from a NASA public participation program.

I think it was around 1998 or 1999. Anyway, two things:

One. My real name was on it.

Two. NASA lost contact with it during Mars landing, and is presumed to have disintegrated either during descent or upon impact for unknown reasons.

A normal CD-ROM likely would not have survived whatever happened. However, if were a pure aluminum CD, it might have, and this may actually be part of that failed spacecraft.

Sorry can't remember the name of that failed spacecraft with the CD.

I also participated in the infamous "Stardust" project. That mission included 1 or 2 micro-etched chips with a million of more names.
My name, along with about 50 or so of family and friends, were included.
That mission was succesful(it did not fly to Mars, rather through the tail of a comet, collecting comet dust using Aerogel)

As it flew-by earth on it's scheduled return, a capsule containg both the micro-chips and the Aerogel were jettisoned and landed in the US with some bumps and bruises, but otherwise intact.

So, I don't know if the image here is of the CD from the earlier ill-fated Mars mission or not. Just some thoughts.

Oh... they will likely check it out at some point. Not like it's going anywhere.

EDIT: Note... I was never connected with NASA. These were public participation programs that one could enter names on a NASA website to be included, which I did with both missions.
Was that the one Damon Albarn wrote a song for? Or was that for a deep space probe? Let's hope that the ETs still have a CD player knocking around.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#45    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,172 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 29 June 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

Let's hope that the ETs still have a CD player knocking around.

Or maybe they will look closely at it, see themselves reflected, and just think its an ancient mirror  :lol:

Edited by seeder, 29 June 2013 - 08:35 AM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users