Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Plato or Aristotle?

ancient history lost read

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

i know plate was his teacher but witch one excelled further? did the prodigy out due his master? whats your opinions!

#2    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

Socrates :)

#3    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• Banned
  • 2,097 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

They both provided wonderful insight into the human condition.  I often quote both for points of wisdom and conversation.

Just look over to my avatar for a rather profound quote...

I have always appreciated this Plato quote...it is so fitting to today's world...

"The price of apathy in public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."...Plato

Here is another quote...I had an argument with someone recently who said this was not proven to be an Aristotle quote...however...the ages say it is and I will accept it as an Aristotle quote until someone can "prove" it is not.

"Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into despotisms."...Aristotle

Sometimes the burden of proof against the words of history are bore by the denier...this seems and sounds like something Aristotle would have said...and I embrace the words....why?...because they ring true.

Here are a couple other Aristotle attributed quotes I rather appreciate...

"At his best, man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and justice he is the worst."

"The most perfect political community is one in which the middle class is in control, and outnumbers both of the other classes."

By the way....you prob should have put this under "Philosophy" and not ancient,alternative history.  There is no dispute that both Gentlemen existed...there is no "alternative" take on that....

Edited by Jeremiah65, 28 June 2013 - 03:14 PM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#4    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,772 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 28 June 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

They both provided wonderful insight into the human condition.  I often quote both for points of wisdom and conversation.

Just look over to my avatar for a rather profound quote...

I have always appreciated this Plato quote...it is so fitting to today's world...

"The price of apathy in public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."...Plato

Here is another quote...I had an argument with someone recently who said this was not proven to be an Aristotle quote...however...the ages say it is and I will accept it as an Aristotle quote until someone can "prove" it is not.

thank you for this insightful reply"Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into despotisms."...Aristotle

Sometimes the burden of proof against the words of history are bore by the denier...this seems and sounds like something Aristotle would have said...and I embrace the words....why?...because they ring true.

Here are a couple other Aristotle attributed quotes I rather appreciate...

"At his best, man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and justice he is the worst."

"The most perfect political community is one in which the middle class is in control, and outnumbers both of the other classes."

By the way....you prob should have put this under "Philosophy" and not ancient,alternative history.  There is no dispute that both Gentlemen existed...there is no "alternative" take on that....

thank you for this insightful reply

#5    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

"If we would know, then we would be more wisdomed."

• 9,553 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

Heraclitus of Ephesus.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#6    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,772 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

lol i know the other were great but im saying between the teacher and student

#7    Anon E. Mouse

Anon E. Mouse

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 109 posts

• OLE!

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

Read Plato's The Republic...As a political science major, it's the best thing I've ever read.

"I'm not superstitious...But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little stitious."
-Michael Scott

#8    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,772 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

View PostSkittel, on 08 July 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

Read Plato's The Republic...As a political science major, it's the best thing I've ever read.
i have gazed at it but i think ill fallow through with it this time just have to find time

#9    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• 1,648 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

The greatest early democratic thinker of early times was Unga-lok, the Paleolithic age man, who said, "Hunt while you can; eat while able; die when done."

Adam Smith tried to turn this into economic policy. Jonathan Swift mocked it. Reagan, Thatcher, austerity budgets, Bush and many others made it popular.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#10    DarkHunter

DarkHunter

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

Personally I think it is nearly impossible to determine which of the two was greater.  There is no doubt that Plato was a great philosopher as evidenced by his works but the problem is with Aristotle's works.  Everything Aristotle wrote himself was destroyed when the Library in Alexandria was burned if I remember correctly and all we have left from Aristotle are technical treatises from his school.  

It seems from other Greek philosophers of that time span that they viewed Aristotle as being a much better writer and philosopher then Plato but since we don't really have Aristotle's works to compare to Plato's works it is impossible to determine which one was greater.

Personally I always liked Plato more.

#11    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

"If we would know, then we would be more wisdomed."

• 9,553 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

View PostSkittel, on 08 July 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

...really? From your post, you seem awfully indebted to the visual and dramatic artists than Plato hustled out of town.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#12    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,772 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:29 PM

View PostDarkHunter, on 08 July 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

Personally I think it is nearly impossible to determine which of the two was greater.  There is no doubt that Plato was a great philosopher as evidenced by his works but the problem is with Aristotle's works.  Everything Aristotle wrote himself was destroyed when the Library in Alexandria was burned if I remember correctly and all we have left from Aristotle are technical treatises from his school.  

It seems from other Greek philosophers of that time span that they viewed Aristotle as being a much better writer and philosopher then Plato but since we don't really have Aristotle's works to compare to Plato's works it is impossible to determine which one was greater.

Personally I always liked Plato more.
yeah, it does smash you in the face on how horrible the loss of the library was! imagine all that knowledge, there has to be so many things we do not know that the answers were most likley in that library, it really saddens me

#13    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,772 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

View Postjaylemurph, on 08 July 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

...really? From your post, you seem awfully indebted to the visual and dramatic artists than Plato hustled out of town.

--Jaylemurph
jay there is something about you that absalutly amuses me everytime i read one of your replys, lol your like a hammer to the face but in a good way lol

before you correct me on something that im sure anoys you "you're"

#14    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence.

• 11,488 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:51 AM

Aristotle.   No question.

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#15    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,772 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

View PostHarte, on 09 July 2013 - 04:51 AM, said:

Aristotle.   No question.

Harte
no explaination as to why though?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users