Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

what is the american dream.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,720 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

View Postdanielost, on 30 June 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

This is. America, we are supposed to be tolerant of anybody and everybody.  We are not supposed just want those who went through college to stay.  We are supposed want everyone.  

What is it written in the statue of liberty's book.  Give me your hungry, your poor, your down trawded.  I hope I got it almost right.  It has forty years since I heard it.

Actually what is written on her tablet is July IV MDCCLXXVI. The New Colossus, the poem to which you are referring to, is on a plaque inside the base of the statue.

#32    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,801 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:32 AM

I have no real idea what the American dream is. However, I am pretty darned certain it is not really my own dream. I think the idea of a American Dream is a mere marketing ploy to entice consumerism.

View Postrashore, on 30 June 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

Actually what is written on her tablet is July IV MDCCLXXVI. The New Colossus, the poem to which you are referring to, is on a plaque inside the base of the statue.

The poem I and my son, then aged three, had memorized.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#33    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:42 AM

To argue endlessly on UM forums why the government is preventing me from living my American dream.

seriously I'm living my dream I have a great job where I make better than median income, an incredible wife, two kids that amaze me everyday, a nice size home, 5+ acres of land with a rental property, and last but not least a relationship with my lord and savior Jesus Christ.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#34    WHO U KIDDIN

WHO U KIDDIN

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

• To deny another man's humanity is to deny your own.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:43 AM

"The American Dream you have to be asleep to believe it"

#35    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,720 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:45 AM

View Postregeneratia, on 01 July 2013 - 12:32 AM, said:

I have no real idea what the American dream is. However, I am pretty darned certain it is not really my own dream. I think the idea of a American Dream is a mere marketing ploy to entice consumerism.

The poem I and my son, then aged three, had memorized.

Me too.. I learned early about Lady Liberty.. That's why I had to speak up about it. It's a common myth that the poem is on her tablet when in fact it is not.

#36    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,064 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:52 AM

On the tablet or not the point is we are supposed be tollerent of others.

Me, I have not achieved the american dream.  I have not made a difference in anyones life.  I haven't been able to help change anyone.  I am a failure.  I can't even spell.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#37    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,296 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:52 AM

Geez man that can't be true.

Posted Image

#38    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,720 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:27 AM

View Postdanielost, on 01 July 2013 - 01:52 AM, said:

Me, I have not achieved the american dream.  I have not made a difference in anyones life.  I haven't been able to help change anyone.  I am a failure.  I can't even spell.

You made it a point with your misquote and misplacement. You Danielost made it a point in this thread what is in the book.... Don't be a wussy now because your point is wrong. Darn skippy it's a point, even if you haven't bothered to note it in decades.
Many people passed under that torch and tablet, read the poem on a plaque that allowed the statue to rest where it does. Yes, that tablet wouldn't even be able to rest misquoted if not for that poem. Auctioned off to raise money to have Liberty to rest where she does now.
Current folks have been asked the same question of what's engraved on Liberty's tablet. They have lost their chance at the American dream because they gave the same answer as you.

If nothing else, don't quote what is carved in stone what you have utterly gotten wrong, no matter where it comes from.

#39    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,209 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

View Postdanielost, on 01 July 2013 - 01:52 AM, said:

The problem is not ignorance, the problem is that some never get out of it out of self-pity.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#40    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,064 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

View Postrashore, on 01 July 2013 - 04:27 AM, said:

You made it a point with your misquote and misplacement. You Danielost made it a point in this thread what is in the book.... Don't be a wussy now because your point is wrong. Darn skippy it's a point, even if you haven't bothered to note it in decades.
Many people passed under that torch and tablet, read the poem on a plaque that allowed the statue to rest where it does. Yes, that tablet wouldn't even be able to rest misquoted if not for that poem. Auctioned off to raise money to have Liberty to rest where she does now.
Current folks have been asked the same question of what's engraved on Liberty's tablet. They have lost their chance at the American dream because they gave the same answer as you.

If nothing else, don't quote what is carved in stone what you have utterly gotten wrong, no matter where it comes from.

What I said had nothing to do withh your correction.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#41    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• let thy insanity keep thee sane, but if that doesn't work then go fishing... I need to go fishing real Real bad!.. catch a big one

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

Success is being able to retire to some property I would own on a small lake somewhere  where I can sit on the dock all day fishing, drinking whatever I choose to drink, reading a book I consider good, eating what I choose to eat while basset hounds run around the property  playing with each other and occasionally with me, knowing as I sit there that I don't have to ever work again because I have enough in the bank to last the rest of my life  ( which for me would be  a lump sum of roughly 2.5 million after taxes)
  And I know it will never happen.

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 08 August 2013 - 07:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users