Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

Guns take lives thread

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#31    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,779 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

View Postlightly, on 30 June 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

Of all the shots ever fired..  what percentage could we suppose took a life,  rather than saved a life?

Most of them did neither... they were just a wasted bullet.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#32    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 30 June 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

But, I couldn't throw a bullet at you hard enough to hurt you without the gun.

Bullets are harmless when left alone. :)

There both pretty harmless wih out the other or a human hand.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#33    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 7,002 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

Posted Imagelightly, on 30 June 2013 - 07:14 AM, said:

Of all the shots ever fired..  what percentage could we suppose took a life,  rather than saved a life?

View Postquestionmark, on 30 June 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

i try to make a reasonable point  and you come along and spoil my attempt with facts!    lol :tu:

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#34    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:21 PM

I wish they all had been wasted bullers.

View Postquestionmark, on 30 June 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#35    kargyrl10

kargyrl10

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

• Just smile, it leaves everyone wondering what you're up to.

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 29 June 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

With the debating going on in other threads, I thought it would be interesting to see how many examples are produced in each thread.

Sorry, but I think you're a little outnumbered with the "Guns save lives" to "Guns take lives" ratio.  

More people are for defense, but not is the defense logically brought about.

Yes, there are some cases where guns have had a bad defense result, or the occasional person who commits murder pleading self defense thinking they'll get less of a sentence... Which never works in the guilty's party's favor...

But I'm waiting for the Safe Act to be repealed for small reasons being defense.

My fiance and I have more than enough threats on us, our home, our property, etc. to not feel the desire to own a handgun. But there's a small wrench in the works with him getting one.  He's had a TIA (mini stroke) resulting from a migraine went very bad... Because of the TIA, he was put on a medicine for all headaches, but was primarily used for another purpose. His headache medicine was also used as an anti seizure medication, and because of the Safe Act he won't be able to get his permit. It, for some reason, doesn't look at the use for the medication, just for what the medicine was designed to do.

Just call me Karli...
It beats spelling out my screen name so often.

#36    F3SS

F3SS

FoT

• 9,833 posts

• Father of Twins
    3-16-16

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 29 June 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

For the record, I'm pro gun.  With the debating going on in other threads, I thought it would be interesting to see how many examples are produced in each thread.

It's not off to a good start. Though I will be awaiting the constant massacre stories I'm told plague the US everyday. This is actually good. This can be the place for certain folks to put their money or their foot where their mouth is and show all of US once and for all the effect that AR15 assault rifles and other large magazine firearms have. It's a major problem. They are supposed weapons of war and they're used everyday to kill hoards of children or so we are told. Here is the forum to prove it and by the past debates held there should be at least one such story everyday.

Edited by F3SS, 30 June 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#37    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

I think the people on this anti-gun side of the fence understand the nature of evidence better and realize that anecdotes are not good evidence and that anybody can find them.  Besides, logic is stronger and is entirely anti-gun.

#38    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

The ar15 is army rejected.  They use the m16, an effective version of the ar15.

#39    F3SS

F3SS

FoT

• 9,833 posts

• Father of Twins
    3-16-16

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

View Postdanielost, on 30 June 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

The ar15 is army rejected.  They use the m16, an effective version of the ar15.

I know Dan. That is why I said supposed weapons of war.

#40    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

By the way I saw on one of those back to nature shows. A gent using an ar15 for hunting.

#41    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,620 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

View Postlightly, on 30 June 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

have no clue, but unlike taking lives, guns , in most cases, were not even fired, and they did save lives. there were numbers in other threads, in 7 out of 10 times, presence of the gun in potential victims hands, helped them not to become victims without single shot.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#42    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 7,002 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

.. valid point aztec.     'i knew somebody would bring that up'  :lol:

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#43    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,248 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

Cigarettes take lives.  Prescription drugs take lives.  Gasoline takes lives.   Slaughterhouses take lives.    Where's the mass retardation for government to save you from all that, libs?   Oh that's not politically correct.  Too many greasy lobbyists stroking the Congress's staff to nannify yourself entirely.   Besides, you're not only chickens, you're also chicken eaters.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#44    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

There have been three pages. No one has shown guns killing people examples.

#45    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,248 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

Fat, lethargic, gun-hating liberals who can't stop smoking or go on a diet or commit themselves to exercise kill people by first letting themselves succumb to preventable diseases every day in this country, and then sticking their mass consumption of health services on the pocketbooks of others making health care costs too expensive to afford for everyone and so killing us all.

But there's guns out there and so after going through five boxes of Kleenex every time there's another school shooting super-glued to the mass media 24-hours a day for weeks on end, goddamnit I want something to be done about it.

Posted Image

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users