Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Minnesota Iceman: Mysterious Frozen Creature

minnesota iceman steve busti museum of the weird ape-like creature

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,045 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

In the 1960s, the "Minnesota Iceman" was paraded from mall to fairground, leaving rumors of Bigfoot, missing links and government conspiracy in its wake.

Then, just as quickly as the 6-foot-tall frozen beast surfaced, it vanished -- until now.

Earlier this year, Steve Busti -- owner of the Museum of the Weird in Austin, Texas -- bought the ice man from the family of its original owner in Minnesota. He's going to once again reveal the ape-like creature to the world starting July 3 at his museum.

http://www.huffingto..._n_3517680.html

Posted Image

#2    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,102 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

Very cool. I just hope that the coverage points out that the Iceman is fake - something HuffPo didn't do, but that doesn't surprise me given their love of woo.

Monstertalk did a great episode on the MIM and really delved into its sideshow roots - which was completely fascinating.

It's a true piece of Americana and I hope that folks embrace it for that aspect of it, because frankly that's much more fascinating.

Here's the link to the Monstertalk podacst.  There's also a transcript, but the podcast is much more enjoyable.

http://www.skeptic.c...rtalk/10/12/01/

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#3    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

• "If you can't say something nice, be creative."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostRafterman, on 29 June 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

Very cool. I just hope that the coverage points out that the Iceman is fake - something HuffPo didn't do, but that doesn't surprise me given their love of woo.

Monstertalk did a great episode on the MIM and really delved into its sideshow roots - which was completely fascinating.

It's a true piece of Americana and I hope that folks embrace it for that aspect of it, because frankly that's much more fascinating.

Here's the link to the Monstertalk podacst.  There's also a transcript, but the podcast is much more enjoyable.

http://www.skeptic.c...rtalk/10/12/01/

I've read about this so-called 'Iceman,' too, and it was as bogus as they come. These sideshow freaks are entertaining ,but there's a sucker born every minute. . .

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#4    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,277 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:09 AM

I remember seeing this at the mall when I was a kid.  It had to be the early 70's.  Cost a quarter to look at it, and you only could look for a little bit.   Probably the reason I am intrigued by bigfoot to this day.

#5    Ravinoff

Ravinoff

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:59 AM

Well, if you want to go by Heuvelmans and Sanderson, there were actually two different things billed as the Minnesota Iceman. To be specific, there was a real one, and a fake one. Both toured around the Midwest in the care of a Mr. Frank Hansen, who exhibited them at state fairs, carnivals and other assorted events. The original was examined in 1967 by Bernard Heuvelmans and Ivan T. Sanderson, who came to the conclusion that it was an authentic frozen specimen of something unidentified. Hansen wanted it kept quiet, but both Sanderson and Heuvelmans published articles on it in magazines. Sanderson asked primatologist John Napier to investigate it, but before any serious study was undertaken, Hansen claims that the owner of the Iceman (an eccentric California millionaire) requested that it be pulled from exhibition. However, that's not quite the end of the story. In the early '70s, the Iceman "reappeared," once again shown by Frank Hansen. However, it's popularly believed that the new Iceman was in fact a latex prop and the real one is still out there somewhere.

#6    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

Wow! Another monkey suit in a freezer. That couldn't ever happen a second time.

......oh wait.

#7    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,102 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostRavinoff, on 30 June 2013 - 03:59 AM, said:

Well, if you want to go by Heuvelmans and Sanderson, there were actually two different things billed as the Minnesota Iceman. To be specific, there was a real one, and a fake one. Both toured around the Midwest in the care of a Mr. Frank Hansen, who exhibited them at state fairs, carnivals and other assorted events. The original was examined in 1967 by Bernard Heuvelmans and Ivan T. Sanderson, who came to the conclusion that it was an authentic frozen specimen of something unidentified. Hansen wanted it kept quiet, but both Sanderson and Heuvelmans published articles on it in magazines. Sanderson asked primatologist John Napier to investigate it, but before any serious study was undertaken, Hansen claims that the owner of the Iceman (an eccentric California millionaire) requested that it be pulled from exhibition. However, that's not quite the end of the story. In the early '70s, the Iceman "reappeared," once again shown by Frank Hansen. However, it's popularly believed that the new Iceman was in fact a latex prop and the real one is still out there somewhere.

Sideshow Carnie magic my friend.  Pay your quarter and step right up - it could be the real one or it could be the fake one.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#8    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

If it was a dead Sasquatch, what a terrible shame to be killed and stuck in a freezer for all to gawk at for the price of admission.

#9    HMS Dreadnought

HMS Dreadnought

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

Maybe it's Jimmy Hoffa....... :gun:

Dear you guys. Words cannot express how much I hate you guys. As we fight our way northward into the great unknown, only that one thing remains certain: that I hate you guys with every tired muscle in my confederate body. We have taken Topeka and I must rally the men onward to Missouri. Because I will not stop until we have won it all, and you guys are my slaves. Because I hate you guys. I hate you guys so very very much. Yours, General Cartman Lee.

#10    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Spectating

• 4,729 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

Good to know Cryptozoology recycles its Blockbusters as often as Hollywood...

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#11    paperdyer

paperdyer

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

Well, the only way to tell if it's a fake or real is thaw it out or take an X-Ray.  "Amazing" that if it's real, this wouldn't have been done already.

#12    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,155 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

View Postpaperdyer, on 01 July 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

Well, the only way to tell if it's a fake or real is thaw it out or take an X-Ray.  "Amazing" that if it's real, this wouldn't have been done already.

Agreed, along with tissue samples(if it is an animal) for DNA analysis.

#13    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,286 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

Can't wait for the modern pics...

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#14    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

It could Be ManBearPig!!!!

#15    Labobio

Labobio

Alien Embryo

• Pip