Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Meet the Breatharian Who Lives on Energy

kirby de lanerolle breatharian

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#61    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,578 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostRolci, on 02 July 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

I know one thing and that is 100% of those dependent on food die. Your scientists have been guessing as to the reason, guessing yes, because they don't know.
Simple then, you're ignorant of human biology. Most educated people know we need food and why.

Cardiovascular diseases, heart diseases, strokes and cancers kill 2/3 of the human population today on earth. Where do you think these come from? And we haven't even mentioned the effects that **** up your life, like obesity, diabetes and the rest.
Because they aren't immortal, organisms die.
But if I told you breathing causes all this, would you be foolish enough to stop breathing?

Michael Werner is just one of the tens of thousands that will never have any of these problems. But you seem to be sure of what you're saying, so I assume you have watched and evaluated documentaries like No Way to Heaven or In the Beginning there was Light. And you did your own research personally meeting these people, or better yet, tried the 21-day method yourself. If it's not for you, you know when to turn back, it you have some brains that is. But if you never had the aspirations just want to save money, you needn't even try, we all know where you're gonna end up, we've seen it happen before.
Or so he claims but you'd rather believe the words of a charlatan than scientific evidence. Good thinking skills you got there.

#62    kajiwara

kajiwara

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

If it is possible to just sun gaze and drink only water to survive and the ancients knew this then I have to question why it didnt eventaully spread to everyone instead of becoming "lost" that makes no sense to me unless it isnt possible to achieve. .which would be my bet..also if its possible why dont animals do this? It would seem to be the path of least resistance yet nothing does it ? Thats illogical at best

#63    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

i am political correctness gone mad

• 2,569 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

So if I were to tell you that this here is a magic cliff and if you jump off this one you can fly, and I jumped off and soared, and you're stupid enough and jump off it's my fault. I would imagine that grown-up adults should be mature enough to have a certain kind of responsibility for their OWN actions. If a sentient being starves itself to death because someone said something, it's called natural selection, we sure don't need a generation of retards that got their genes from lunatics. People like that would've been thrown off in ancient Greece and you'd be living in a dictatorship right now, probably Iraq and Iran coming to the rescue. You have a problem with me calling people stupid when you tell them to jump off a cliff and they do? You're welcome to judge me. So what would you call people that can't take care of their own lives due to stupid decisions. If you were facing a snake and a random person told you he'd been bitten by one that looked like it, is it normal to let go of all measures of caution? Is that the sane thing to do? I don't think so.

man, i can't even keep track of where you're going with this. but anyway, i do believe in personal responsibility! as in, i believe that people who promote dangerous and foolish lifestyles like breatharianism are responsible for the harm that those lifestyles do to those who get caught up in their lies. i absolutely don't go in for victim blaming bs. and i got no patience for that "r" word.

and you still haven't managed to show any evidence that this lifestyle is possible. you've thrown in lots of non-sequiters about dictators and natural selection, but evidence? i'm not seeing it.

#64    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

undead

• 13,362 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

View Postkajiwara, on 02 July 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

If it is possible to just sun gaze and drink only water to survive and the ancients knew this then I have to question why it didnt eventaully spread to everyone instead of becoming "lost" that makes no sense to me unless it isnt possible to achieve. .which would be my bet..also if its possible why dont animals do this? It would seem to be the path of least resistance yet nothing does it ? Thats illogical at best

I guess it depends on why a creature has become incarnated. If it is to fully immerse themselves in a material world then presumably that includes consuming solid food. The further away from this one moves, moves towards the emphasis being on the spiritual, the less one needs(in the way of solid food), to survive(I'm assuming).

What, in all the world, could I do to earn my living and still live as myself, as I knew myself to be? Temporary masks, I knew, had their place; everyone was wearing them, they were the human rage; but not masks cemented in place until the wearer could not breathe and was eventually suffocated.

#65    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

undead

• 13,362 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

View Postpatagonianhorsesnake, on 02 July 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

evidence? i'm not seeing it.

I'm afraid that is the nature of so many things discussed in UM threads ....... evidence cannot be produced here. But that does not mean that something is automatically untrue, does it?

What, in all the world, could I do to earn my living and still live as myself, as I knew myself to be? Temporary masks, I knew, had their place; everyone was wearing them, they were the human rage; but not masks cemented in place until the wearer could not breathe and was eventually suffocated.

#66    kajiwara

kajiwara

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

so the more food u eat the less spiritual you are?
I dont see the connection..why did jesus and his apostles need a last supper...why did buddha eat that bad boar meat that killed him..they shoulda just stared at the sun?
They would seem to be the peak of being spiritual..just saying

#67    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

undead

• 13,362 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

View Postkajiwara, on 02 July 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

so the more food u eat the less spiritual you are?
I dont see the connection..why did jesus and his apostles need a last supper...why did buddha eat that bad boar meat that killed him..they shoulda just stared at the sun?
They would seem to be the peak of being spiritual..just saying

Well, I'm not sure just how dedicated Jesus and the apostles were to a wholly spiritual life(although Jesus famously spent '40 days and 40 nights in the wilderness', presumably with little to eat or drink except what was around him). But perhaps Jesus was just being sociable by eating a last meal with his (less spiritual?)followers?

Perhaps Buddha just fancied some boar meat and that decision rather than the actual meat, killed him?

Who can gauge just how attached to the material world any single individual is? And I'm pretty sure it isn't a constant thing, either. A bit like giving up smoking or alcohol ....... people very rarely do that in one go, they have lapses and some give up altogether.

#68    kajiwara

kajiwara

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

fair enough about how dedicated someone is spiritually.and whos to say if it was indeed rotten meat that killed buddha..but before the buddha became the buddha it is said he tryed many paths one where he ate 1 grain of rice a day and before he reached enlightenment he was very near death and not the model of health if your to believe such accounts u cant doubt his drive to live in such a way or his drive to live spiritually..at the end of day proof of such claims is required I suppose as with anything outside of the norm..especially huge claims such as not needing food to live..not saying its 100% impossible..just 99.99% *shrug*

#69    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

But you seem to be sure of what you're saying, so I assume you have watched and evaluated documentaries like No Way to Heaven or In the Beginning there was Light. And you did your own research personally meeting these people, or better yet, tried the 21-day method yourself. If it's not for you, you know when to turn back, it you have some brains that is. But if you never had the aspirations just want to save money, you needn't even try, we all know where you're gonna end up, we've seen it happen before.

I think it is more like your other example, where you don't have to experience jumping off the cliff to know that hitting the ground and rocks below will kill you.

I actually believe that 100% of everyone dies. The only exceptions are mythic.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#70    TravelerZero

TravelerZero

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

Talk about backwards. "100% of people that eat food die." Guess what? 100% of people that stare at the sun die. 100% of people that breath air, die. As far as I am concerend, the only path to immortality is to abstain from everything, since everything one does leads to death.

"Who can gauge just how attached to the material world any single individual is?"

I must say, this website is an exellent place to discover just how detattched people can become from reality. I guess human creativity "knows no bounds", haha.

Heres the thing about fasting: Fasting may serve a purpose, it can make you more in tune with pain, with your body, I would imagine like meditation forcing oneself into such a state that can lead to increased introspection and revelations not otherwise possible. In short, when bad things happen, unintentionally or artificially, it can cause you to re-evaluate life or augment your search for information.

Is fasting the same as not eating? No, because a fast is something that is extremely temporary. Breatharians are not encouraging "fasting", they are telling you that people should not require food.

Here is a very similar example: "Women shouldn't fart because they are to beautiful to fart. Thus, a farting woman is inferior, unattractive, and ugly as sin. If you fart, you are all of these things. As a self-proclaimed non-farter, I am gorgious. With my personal guidence you will cease being 'ugly as sin'.  I cannot be held responsible for you not meeting these expectations."

Its as simple as that folks. If you can figure out whats wrong with the above, you can avoid being duped by a parasite.

Parasite (cultural sense):is often applied to a person who takes advantage of other people and fails to offer anything (of substance) in return.

There will never be anyone who can survive without food without experiencing obvious negative repercussions. Unless death is on the menu, haha.

Oh and the only purpose a cult leader serves is to leach, psychically and physically, off of other people. They will poison your mind for their own gain and profit, which is usually material, despite their claims of high flown spiritual intention. These people are the worst kind of scum. For their sake, I sure hope there's some karma or something floating around out there. They are in need of a divine ass kicking.

Divine ass kicking: Ass kicking on a level not though to be physically possible.

End rant.

Edited by TravelerZero, 03 July 2013 - 11:52 PM.

#71    TravelerZero

TravelerZero

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:04 AM

Wow after all that, I forgot to mention, there IS some recent evidence that suggests this could be possible. IF you are, genetically, a "Hyrax", you may have a biological presedent for thriving with nothing but air and sunlight (although experts speculate that you may still require water).

#72    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

So why hasn't he taken Randi's $1 million dollar challenge?  One would think it would be a cakewalk for him.  He would just simply need to do what he's already doing, but under scientific controls for a few weeks and BAM - payday.

Too bad nobody shared the breatharian approach with all those Ethiopians that were starving to death in the 80s.  They've got plenty of sunlight in Africa -would have saved millions.

And, hey, if you really want to put Monsanto out of business, you should just become a breatharian - that'll show 'em!

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#73    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 30 June 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

When my son was born I had no breast milk. The midwife who visited me each day was adamant that it would soon appear and my son would be fine until that happened. After the fourth full day of him not consuming anything, not even water, I cracked and started giving him powdered milk. He was absolutely fine up until then ...... there was no suggestion of taking him to hospital or calling a doctor.

Think of recent news items about people buried in collapsed buildings. What kept them alive for so long? Will power? Belief that their god would save them? Belief that the rescue teams would find them?

Think of people during famine times(Africa in particular), they can survive over long periods of time on virtually nothing.

I'm glad you cracked or you would have been burying your son.

A mother doesn't start full milk production for 1-3 days after the birth.  Up until then she produces a yellowish and thick liquid called colostrum.  http://www.babycente...lostrum_8896.bc

My guess is that you were producing colostrum and didn't even realize it (since your son didn't die) and when your midwife was talking about not producing milk, that's what she was referring to.  Anything less would have been complete and immoral malpractice.

Edited by Rafterman, 04 July 2013 - 12:47 PM.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

#74    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

View Postg00dfella, on 30 June 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

Actually David Blaine has successfully survived without all 3 for much longer than you have listed...check out TED talks

Seriously?

#75    Ashyne

Ashyne

Atheist & Skeptic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

View Postkajiwara, on 02 July 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

It became "lost" because those people foolish enough to try it had already died and other people saw how stupid those fools were and did not attempt the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users