Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How to do a hoax?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16    Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

I'm sure others would go a different route, but this is how I'd personally go about it.

As far as online content goes, unless I was actually skilled with photoshop and video editing, I wouldn't bother with them. People will rip it apart in no time. It's hard to explain why shadows are off, coloring isn't consistant, or the EXIF data says "Adobe Photoshop."

I'd just set up something weird in real life and snap a photo or video of it. It's easy to set up angles and effects with a stationary camera, and you can always claim it's a security or trap camera. Things like Pepper's Ghost and rear-projections would probably be great for this. If it's done correctly, I'd imagine it'd be difficult to actually prove as a hoax, even if people are pretty sure it's fake.

Also, be subtle. It's better to have a slightly "weird" photo than the holy grail of ghost/UFO/whatever proof. I wouldn't pretend to know exactly what it is; let people fill in their own blanks. Leave it vague like, "heard noises, set up camera, got this weird photo, don't know what it is."

#17    Sergeant

Sergeant

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 141 posts

• Favorite 1960's hippie quote:
    "I just hate people who hate people"

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

Well, anything I see/read about "evidence" in media regarding paranormal stuff is not taken very seriously. I have my own personal experiences with the unexplained and spirits... so I personally know the phonomena to be true but anything can be faked to the public.
Take my photoshopped avatar for example. Someone could have done similiar, except increased the female "ghost" opacity so it's barely visible and create a story. I have been doing 3D and 2D graphic arts for about 12 years and could easily produce a reasonable video hoax using Adobe After Effects within 15 minutes. After effects is the "photoshop" program for video.

So when I see something very convincing on youtube or on other media my attitude is always "Cool if it's real". Nothing more. I wish hoaxes didn't happen, but people will be people.

#18    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

• "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:06 AM

It's very easy for a simple photo. There's countless apps where you can take a photo and paste a little ghost in the background. Or you can use a program on the computer. You don't even need Photoshop. Something simple where you blur, smudge, or change the opacity of something will work.

A lot people don't believe most photos of paranormal things because there's so many ways to fake them with little effort.

Posted Image

Domina Lucis

#19    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:16 AM

View PostHiggs Boson, on 05 July 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

Things like Pepper's Ghost and rear-projections would probably be great for this. If it's done correctly, I'd imagine it'd be difficult to actually prove as a hoax, even if people are pretty sure it's fake.

The old classic tricks are getting lost in these days of cheap Photoshop hoaxes. These days illusions like that are usually accidental!

#20    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:34 AM

Hoaxes are great,... tells us more about ourselves than anything else.

Edited by Hazzard, 06 July 2013 - 12:35 AM.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#21    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:35 AM

I wish we had made fake UFOs in art class. It looks like lots of fun!

#22    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,025 posts

• My youtube channel, Has horror stories and skits.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCreepyCorridor

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:55 AM

View PostHazzard, on 06 July 2013 - 12:34 AM, said:

Hoaxes are great,... tells us more about ourselves than anything else.

THIS VIDEO IS FAKE! I CAN PROOVE IT, NO KID CAN GET THAT MUCH AWESOME STUFF TO MAKE A UFO!

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route and find out what really happened.

#23    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,383 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:17 AM

I remember a little elf peeking around the croquet mallet taken half a century ago before photoshop.  I never doubted that it was a hoax -- just too cute -- but what was the point since no one ever took credit?

#24    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:01 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 06 July 2013 - 02:17 AM, said:

I remember a little elf peeking around the croquet mallet taken half a century ago before photoshop.  I never doubted that it was a hoax -- just too cute -- but what was the point since no one ever took credit?

Frank, wasn't that one of Santa's diminutive indentured servants making a plea for better working conditions at the North Pole? Or is that what I saw in my neighbor's garden during my walk yesterday?

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users