Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 2 votes

Villisca Murders


  • Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1    Lorelilly

Lorelilly

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Joined:30 Jun 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Dark Side Of The Moon

  • Godís drifting in heaven, devilís in the mailbox
    I got dust on my shoes, nothing but teardrops.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:47 AM

A horrific murder of 8 people asleep in a farm house in Villisca, Iowa in 1912. Never solved.  I thought Lizzie Borden killing her parents with an Axe was bad, well this killer Axed 8 people. Very creepy.  






http://www.villiscam...om/story_01.htm

pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until in our despair there comes wisdom through the awful grace of God  ~Aeschylus

#2    MacsMom

MacsMom

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:South Dixie

  • Random crap that no one reads anyway

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:54 AM

so sad because of the children involved, as well.

Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along.  Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder where those years have gone?

#3    Lorelilly

Lorelilly

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Joined:30 Jun 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Dark Side Of The Moon

  • Godís drifting in heaven, devilís in the mailbox
    I got dust on my shoes, nothing but teardrops.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

View PostMacsMom, on 01 July 2013 - 12:54 AM, said:

so sad because of the children involved, as well.
  I still can't figure out why none of them woke up? He must have went in like a trained killer. This case is just so ..odd.

Edited by Lorelilly, 01 July 2013 - 04:41 AM.

pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until in our despair there comes wisdom through the awful grace of God  ~Aeschylus

#4    Antilles

Antilles

    NCC-1701

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Joined:23 Jul 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:2nd star from the left

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

He took the parents out 1st. Makes sense. Maybe the kids did hear and woke up but wouldn't do them much good. None of the neighbors  heard anything. The town was a train hub so a killer on the move makes a certain sense. Maybe a serial killer.


#5    Lorelilly

Lorelilly

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Joined:30 Jun 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Dark Side Of The Moon

  • Godís drifting in heaven, devilís in the mailbox
    I got dust on my shoes, nothing but teardrops.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:09 AM

View PostAntilles, on 01 July 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

He took the parents out 1st. Makes sense. Maybe the kids did hear and woke up but wouldn't do them much good. None of the neighbors  heard anything. The town was a train hub so a killer on the move makes a certain sense. Maybe a serial killer.
Good point about the train!

pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until in our despair there comes wisdom through the awful grace of God  ~Aeschylus

#6    Antilles

Antilles

    NCC-1701

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Joined:23 Jul 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:2nd star from the left

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:40 AM

This is an interesting site. It also contains what is presumed to be the only extant photo from inside the house after the murders.

http://docublogger.t...ene-photos.html

The mirrors in the house were covered by the murderer. Because he couldn't look at himself? Because he didn't want to see what he had done? Because he didn't want the victims to see the mess he'd made of them?


#7    glorybebe

glorybebe

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • Member
  • 8,721 posts
  • Joined:24 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

This case is so sad!  Too bad they never solved it.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#8    rashore

rashore

    Telekinetic

  • 7,065 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2010
  • Gender:Female

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

No matter how many threads pop up about this, I think it's a crazy crime every time.


#9    Lorelilly

Lorelilly

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Joined:30 Jun 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Dark Side Of The Moon

  • Godís drifting in heaven, devilís in the mailbox
    I got dust on my shoes, nothing but teardrops.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:08 AM

View Postrashore, on 03 July 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

No matter how many threads pop up about this, I think it's a crazy crime every time.
Yup, they were making monsters way, way back. I love the website you linked on a previous post. " Bruce Stillians, the son of a local druggist, was one of many private citizens who streamed through the house before police gained control of the murder scene"  One thing is for sure, modern forensics has come a long way.

Edited by Lorelilly, 04 July 2013 - 03:09 AM.

pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until in our despair there comes wisdom through the awful grace of God  ~Aeschylus

#10    Antilles

Antilles

    NCC-1701

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Joined:23 Jul 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:2nd star from the left

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:08 AM

View PostLorelilly, on 04 July 2013 - 03:08 AM, said:

Yup, they were making monsters way, way back. I love the website you linked on a previous post. " Bruce Stillians, the son of a local druggist, was one of many private citizens who streamed through the house before police gained control of the murder scene"  One thing is for sure, modern forensics has come a long way.

I know they used smell hounds but because of the human traffic in and out of the house, no useful leads were found. If you look at photos, the houses were reasonably close which makes the fact that no neighbors reported any sounds very unusual. One of the little girls murdered downstairs had defense marks on her arms so obviously at least one person was awake when it was happening.


#11    HMS Dreadnought

HMS Dreadnought

    Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Joined:11 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Dublin

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

Reading the article a serial killer theory seems entirely plausible.........

"
The fall of 1911 had seen a spectacular series of horrible murders in the Midwest.   Every two weeks that fall whole families were slaughtered in their beds without apparent reason.  On Sunday, September 17, 1911 in Colorado Springs, two families—the Burnhams and the Waynes, who lived next to each other—were all killed with an axe as they slept.  Two weeks later in Monmouth, Illinois, William Dawson, his wife, and thirteen-year-old daughter met a similar fate.  Just as in Villisca, shades were drawn, bodies covered, and the thirteen-year-old Dawson girl seemed to be the only victim who had moved after the killer struck.  A length of gas pipe had been the murder weapon.

The next in this suspected series of killings occurred in Ellsworth, Kansas on Sunday night, October 15.  Will Showman, his wife, and three children were bludgeoned to death as they slept.  The murder axe was found leaning behind the door connecting the tiny house’s two rooms.  It had been washed, but remnants of blood and hair still clung to it.  As at Villisca, there was a lamp at the foot of the parent’s bed whose chimney was later found under a kitchen chair.  All bodies were covered with bedclothes when found.

The final similar murder preceding Villisca happened in Paola, Kansas on Wednesday night, June 5, 1912, just four days before Villisca.  Rolland and Anna Hudson, a young couple who had moved from Ohio a few months before, were found murdered in their beds.   No weapon was ever found, but it appeared a pickaxe or mason’s hammer had been used.  Again, the victims had been covered and no obvious motive was apparent."

Dear you guys. Words cannot express how much I hate you guys. As we fight our way northward into the great unknown, only that one thing remains certain: that I hate you guys with every tired muscle in my confederate body. We have taken Topeka and I must rally the men onward to Missouri. Because I will not stop until we have won it all, and you guys are my slaves. Because I hate you guys. I hate you guys so very very much. Yours, General Cartman Lee.

#12    Lorelilly

Lorelilly

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Joined:30 Jun 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Dark Side Of The Moon

  • Godís drifting in heaven, devilís in the mailbox
    I got dust on my shoes, nothing but teardrops.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

View PostHMS Dreadnought, on 04 July 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

Reading the article a serial killer theory seems entirely plausible.........

"
The fall of 1911 had seen a spectacular series of horrible murders in the Midwest.   Every two weeks that fall whole families were slaughtered in their beds without apparent reason.  On Sunday, September 17, 1911 in Colorado Springs, two families—the Burnhams and the Waynes, who lived next to each other—were all killed with an axe as they slept.  Two weeks later in Monmouth, Illinois, William Dawson, his wife, and thirteen-year-old daughter met a similar fate.  Just as in Villisca, shades were drawn, bodies covered, and the thirteen-year-old Dawson girl seemed to be the only victim who had moved after the killer struck.  A length of gas pipe had been the murder weapon.

The next in this suspected series of killings occurred in Ellsworth, Kansas on Sunday night, October 15.  Will Showman, his wife, and three children were bludgeoned to death as they slept.  The murder axe was found leaning behind the door connecting the tiny house’s two rooms.  It had been washed, but remnants of blood and hair still clung to it.  As at Villisca, there was a lamp at the foot of the parent’s bed whose chimney was later found under a kitchen chair.  All bodies were covered with bedclothes when found.

The final similar murder preceding Villisca happened in Paola, Kansas on Wednesday night, June 5, 1912, just four days before Villisca.  Rolland and Anna Hudson, a young couple who had moved from Ohio a few months before, were found murdered in their beds.   No weapon was ever found, but it appeared a pickaxe or mason’s hammer had been used.  Again, the victims had been covered and no obvious motive was apparent."
Good Lord, I  had no idea about those murders. I wish we had a clue who it was. Might have been interesting to dissect what made this killer tick.

pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until in our despair there comes wisdom through the awful grace of God  ~Aeschylus

#13    Antilles

Antilles

    NCC-1701

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Joined:23 Jul 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:2nd star from the left

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:07 AM

If it was someone from the town or neighboring area, someone would have known. These people were pretty God fearing and a secret like that wouldn't have lasted long.

The idea of a serial killer moving from town to town makes sense to me.

The only problem is that info about these murders is very limited. The axe is used in some murders but not in others.

Home invasion appears to be a common thread.

It's a very interesting and perplexing case.


#14    coolguy

coolguy

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Joined:06 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:east islip , new york

  • Star trek rules

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:36 AM

Some have said a priest did the killing.who knows


#15    Antilles

Antilles

    NCC-1701

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Joined:23 Jul 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:2nd star from the left

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

View Postcoolguy, on 12 July 2013 - 04:36 AM, said:

Some have said a priest did the killing.who knows

I've never heard of a priest being involved.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users