Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Hundreds of Thousands protest in Egypt

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#1    Ashotep

Ashotep

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,177 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:39 AM

This is the biggest protest Egypt has seen in 2 1/2 years.  Can't say that I blame them, who wants to live under Islamic law.  I don't think that is what they fought so hard to get Mubarak thrown out for.

Young protesters attack Muslim Brotherhood headquarters in Cairo

#2    Malaria_Kidd

Malaria_Kidd

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

• "So if you're tired of the same old story, just turn some pages" REO Speedwagon of Champaign-Urbana, Illinois

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:59 AM

5 stars and may the Egyptian people's wishes be granted as they wish upon the stars to be free from cruel laws. :td:

:gun: I read a Tweet minutes ago that read: Egyptian protesters claim our U.S. Administration's Top Gunner is supporting terrorism. :blush: No proper name was printed to keep the N.S.A. and E.C.H.E.L.O.N.'s snooping computers away from this pc.

Last edited by me for this pic via Twitter!

I hope it works when you click the link...

https://twitter.com/...9167873/photo/1

Edited by Malaria_Kidd, 01 July 2013 - 03:09 AM.

http://www.unexplain...pic=152891&st=0 SCANIA Hit! My "BIG BUMP"
in the night!

That true account is in Joshua P. Warren's book, "It Was A Dark and Creepy Night"

#3    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,420 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:11 AM

What the hell are they protesting for?  Don't they understand that Obama set them free???

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#4    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,184 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:57 AM

It is not hard to get a large number of people into the street if the city involved is large enough, so the size of the crowd doesn't mean much.  A new election would probably put the Muslim Brotherhood back in power.  This is a problem with democracy -- it is capable of imposing what is called "A tyranny of the majority."

#5    joc

joc

• 14,420 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:58 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 01 July 2013 - 03:57 AM, said:

It is not hard to get a large number of people into the street if the city involved is large enough, so the size of the crowd doesn't mean much.  A new election would probably put the Muslim Brotherhood back in power.  This is a problem with democracy -- it is capable of imposing what is called "A tyranny of the majority."

Poppy freakin' c***  or...just plain poppycock

Edited by joc, 01 July 2013 - 03:59 AM.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#6    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:05 AM

I would not expect anything from it. Once islamists take power, they never hand it back. (After all, they are on a mission from god.)
And while Obama was so eager to throw the secular Mubarak under the bus, he is determined to support the islamist thugs with all American ressources.

So don´t hold your breath for the Mursi regime to fold.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#7    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,184 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:12 AM

View Postjoc, on 01 July 2013 - 03:58 AM, said:

Poppy freakin' c***  or...just plain poppycock
Not a very useful response; maybe you just didn't understand -- that's the best interpretation on your response I can think of

#8    joc

joc

• 14,420 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:17 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 01 July 2013 - 04:12 AM, said:

Not a very useful response; maybe you just didn't understand -- that's the best interpretation on your response I can think of
No, I understood quite well...you said:

This is a problem with democracy -- it is capable of imposing what is called "A tyranny of the majority."
I'm saying...that is poppycock!  An example of a  'tyranny of the majority' would be a lynching.  Democracy has nothing to do with it!  The problem in Egypt was that a Dictator was displaced, replaced, by an outofcontrol, manchild of a president in the United States.  Obama stuck his naive, manipulative nose into something that was none of his business and millions of people reaped the consequences of it.
The fact is Democracy doesn't create any problems...it SOLVES them!  Tyrannys create problems...majority or not!

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#9    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,184 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:21 AM

The Muslim Brotherhood won the election and no one thinks otherwise.  That is as democratic as it gets.  That the Brotherhood is imposing its religion on people who don't want it is the tyranny.  Therefore tyranny of the majority.  Those demonstrators in the street are not a majority, as is demonstrated by the election results.

I don't like this outcome at all, but it happens when one religion dominates a place.

#10    joc

joc

• 14,420 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:25 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 01 July 2013 - 04:21 AM, said:

The Muslim Brotherhood won the election and no one thinks otherwise.  That is as democratic as it gets.  That the Brotherhood is imposing its religion on people who don't want it is the tyranny.  Therefore tyranny of the majority.  Those demonstrators in the street are not a majority, as is demonstrated by the election results.

I don't like this outcome at all, but it happens when one religion dominates a place.
Okay...Poppycock is now overly redundant...so ...I refrain from using the word anymore in this thread...or any other...(you are welcome)...
If you seriously think what happened in Egypt was as 'democratic as it gets' then the word for your post isn't poppycock...it is...Clueless...Totally clueless to the reality that is happening in the world right under your nose.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,184 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:35 AM

I would call it a difference in perception: in my case an acceptance of reality, in your case paranoid conspiracy theories.

#12    acidhead

acidhead

GOV Debt Slave

• 11,151 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:43 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 01 July 2013 - 04:35 AM, said:

I would call it a difference in perception: in my case an acceptance of reality, in your case paranoid conspiracy theories.
youll figure it out one day bro

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#13    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,831 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:31 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 01 July 2013 - 04:21 AM, said:

If I recall correctly, Meryt Tetisheri listed MULTIPLE sketchy moves by the MB in that election.  Plenty of room to doubt it's veracity.  The Army seems to be the only broker which can decide who will sit in the office.  It will be interesting to see how much respect Mursi gives the generals moving forward.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#14    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,184 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

View Postand then, on 01 July 2013 - 05:31 AM, said:

If I recall correctly, Meryt Tetisheri listed MULTIPLE sketchy moves by the MB in that election.  Plenty of room to doubt it's veracity.  The Army seems to be the only broker which can decide who will sit in the office.  It will be interesting to see how much respect Mursi gives the generals moving forward.
Personally I don't doubt that the Muslim Brotherhood won the election.  People can always find things to raise questions, and this sort of thing is underwhelming.  All elections are fraudulent to one degree or another (like the Philadelphia returns in Obama's victory).  You are I think right about the army's role.  For them it is lose-lose so I have no guess what they will do.

#15    Ashotep

Ashotep

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,177 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 01 July 2013 - 06:12 AM, said:

Personally I don't doubt that the Muslim Brotherhood won the election.  People can always find things to raise questions, and this sort of thing is underwhelming.  All elections are fraudulent to one degree or another (like the Philadelphia returns in Obama's victory).  You are I think right about the army's role.  For them it is lose-lose so I have no guess what they will do.
You forgot about Florida in the Bush elections.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users