Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

What do you Think Happened; Dyatlov Pass

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
439 replies to this topic

#16    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

Just a couple of observations here.
1 - Wiki states:   This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. Relevant discussion may be found on the talk page. Please help improve this article by introducing citations to additional sources. (June 2012)

2 - They found footprints leading from the tent, but the remaining bodies were found under 4 meters of snow, in a ravine.  You trying to tell me that the footprints lasted from 1/28 to 2/26?  There were absolutly no wind or snow in that time to obliterate the prints?

Not a mountaineering expert, but something sounds a wee bit off kilter here.  Just saying.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#17    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

• "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:59 AM

Hmm, this case was always confusing and intriguing to me.

There are just so many details and observations that don't add up or are just strange.

I've also heard of bunch of variations on the reports. For example, apparently glowing orbs in the sky were reported in the area they were in, there was high levels of radiation, and on a nearby tree something was carved on it (it had to do with a snowman or something like that.)

Who knows what really happened?

Posted Image

Domina Lucis

#18    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,619 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:22 AM

Most likey a small meteor hit them.

#19    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

The glowing balls in the sky were from an R-7 rocket launched that evening from Baikonur to the target Island of Novaya Zemlya. This tragetory was directly over the incident. People, please do not pay any attention to the English wiki, I and another poster have posted links to Russian sites with full information, like the R-7 rocket, the autopsy reports and geniune photos taken by the group, not photoshopped nonsense seen on this thread. This is real information, not fantasy. Precisely what happend is still a mystery, but all these affairs surrounding this are explained. A pity that in the English speaking world all this evidence is not known, or deliberately ignored as it does not fit with the fantasies......

#20    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,565 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

The tracks (if found as reported) don't seem to make sense. Tracks lasting that long in the winter :/

#21    JustMeRicky

JustMeRicky

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

• "The Truth is out there."

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:43 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 01 July 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

Attacked by a hyrax
Whats a "hyrex?"

"The truth is out there......but are we willing to accept it when we find it?"

#22    WillowWolf

WillowWolf

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

• "Destiny is not within the hands of the stars, but within the hands of man."

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:45 AM

View PostColumbo, on 21 July 2013 - 02:43 AM, said:

Whats a "hyrex?"

A hyrax is a small brown rodent looking thing related to the elephant.

- "The greatest gift ever given to the likes of man, is the gift of free-will. If you choose to use it for evil. That's your own fault."
- "Magick is real, to all who open their eyes to it."
- To all of my fellow human beings of this Earth...
Merry meet, and merry part, and merry meet again!
~Blessed be

#23    JustMeRicky

JustMeRicky

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:07 AM

View PostWillowWolf, on 21 July 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

A hyrax is a small brown rodent looking thing related to the elephant.
Oh..you were joking...

#24    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,767 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:18 AM

View PostColumbo, on 21 July 2013 - 02:43 AM, said:

Whats a "hyrex?"
It's a running gag on this forum, we have a forumite who ascribes all mysterious phenomena to mystical hyraxes - who can change their form, turn invisible, fly and the like - we treat it as a joke, we're still not sure how the forumite treats it.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#25    JustMeRicky

JustMeRicky

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:19 AM

Interesting.

#26    some new guy

some new guy

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

yeah, this is one of those historical mysteries thats long interested me - from everything I've read, this seems to make the most sense to me...

On Febuary 2, 1959, during the cold winter on Kholat Syakhl ("Mountain of the Dead") in Russia, nine intrepid ski hikers decided to

do what they do best, which is ski hike (cross country skiing). On February 26th, the first of their very dead bodies turned up.

Who would have thought such a tragedy could strike on "The Mountain of the Death

So there's six things that freak people out about this one:

1. The no-tongued woman

As disturbing as it may be, the first thing a scavenging animal is going to go for is probably the soft tissue of an open mouth, especially

if it still smelled like the hikers last meal

2. A mysterious orange tan on the dead bodies

Laying out in the sun surrounded by white snow for days would account for the weird tan.

3. The ripped tents

The destroyed tent points to an avalanche, or possibly the skiers did it themselves due to madness brought on by hypothermia

4. The hikers' lack of clothing

Their state of undress can be explained by paradoxical undressing, a known behavior of hypothermia victims when their brains start to

freeze and malfunction. In other words, it's the kind of behavior you'd expect from a group of injured avalanche victims wandering

around in the middle of the night in the freezing cold.

5. The crushing damage done to three of the hikers

The official statement on what happened was about as vague and ass-covering as possible, saying it was caused by an "unknown

compelling force." In laymen's terms this means, "**** if we know". Maybe they were caught in the avalanche or possibly were

running in the dark and ran head first into big solid trees

6. The traces of radioactivity

Well, there's the fact that none of that stuff turns up in the original documents from the incident, and appears to have been added later

by people who just can't resist making things spookier than they are.

http://www.cracked.c...-solutions.html.

and from International Science Times, we get......

Let's use an Occam's Razor on the strange facts to do a bit of scientific speculation. The missing tongue terrifies the most, and it's one of the more simple of the occurrences to explain: scavenging. There were, ostensibly, months between the hikers' deaths and the investigation that found them. A hungry animal probably came and tore the tongue right out of the dead hiker's mouth, especially since tongues tend to smell like the food that was just on them. That may turn your stomach, but it's not an uncommon occurance.

As far as the trauma and the destroyed tent goes, well, that points to an avalanche. It's the only thing in the mountains that could deliver the impact necessary to sustain the injuries which the hikers received while still showing no signs of a struggle. In other words, an avalanche is nature's car crash.

I know what you're thinking: that doesn't explain the fact that they were undressed, barefoot, and had torn their tent open from the inside. Sure, an avalanche may not provide an immediate explanation, but hypothermia would. In fact, twenty to fifty percent of hypothermia deaths are caused by something known as paradoxical undressing, a phenomenon which occurs in cases of moderate to severe hypothermia. As the body becomes afflicted, the hypothalamus starts to malfunction from the cold, and the person becomes disoriented and takes off their clothes. It's called paradoxical because, naturally, nakedness in sub-zero temperatures increases the rate of heat loss.

Lastly, we have the orange lights in the sky, and the radioactivity on the hikers' clothes. Unfortunately for the spook-chaser in all of us, those details weren't in the initial inquest. They're just the trappings of how a tragic accident became a tall tale.

http://www.isciencet...-terrifying.htm

and theres a wonderful explanation on the An American Naturalist site - its much too long and involved to cut and paste here so please feel free to click the link provided = http://amnationalist...mystery-solved/

and there are many other sites which treat it as a natural event, not some weird Mulder and Scully event

BEST - Ron

#27    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• 1,111 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostRafterman, on 05 July 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

Orangish tinge is consistent with being left exposed to the elements in those types of conditions.

Perhaps the tongue was removed before the bodies completely froze?  As I said, who knows.
That's an even scarier premise, suppose they were driven mad by something...
I wonder if they had a shortwave radio with them and if they did, perhaps a broadcast such as UVB-76 or some prototype may have come in too loud and clear.

#28    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

What in the nine hells is "UVB-76"?

Look up hypothermia and read about the symptoms.  That explains the state of undress.  Tents ripped from the inside can be explained by panicked people trying to escape an impending or occurring avalanche.

What is this strange predeliction of humans to add layers of obscurement to an incident?

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#29    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

View PostJMPD1, on 21 July 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

What in the nine hells is "UVB-76"?

Look up hypothermia and read about the symptoms.  That explains the state of undress.  Tents ripped from the inside can be explained by panicked people trying to escape an impending or occurring avalanche.

From what I've read read, there was no signs of an avalanche. I know, one theory states something about a "snowfall" and in the Dark at night, they thought it was an avalanche, so they quickly left their tent. But, if that's the case, why not return back to the tent after they realized a avalanche was imminent? Remember, these were people who were experienced hikers.

The answer to this question has been compiled by a combination of review, first hand testimony and personal investigation.  The evidence against an avalanche is as follows:
  • At the time of discovery, the specific location of the incident did not have any obvious signs of an avalanche having taken place.  Many people have assumed that because the search and rescue party seen in old photographs had snow prods there must have been considerable movement of snow.  In actual fact the snow prod is merely standard rescue equipment.
  • A study of the area using up-to-date terrain-related physics has revealed that the location is not conducive to the formation of snow build up of the kind that causes an avalanche.
  • "More than 100 expeditions to the region have been held since the event took place and none of them have ever reported conditions that might create an avalanche in this location."
  • The first bodies were found within ten days of the event and only covered with a shallow layer of (atmospheric) snow.

Had there been an avalanche of sufficient strength to sweep away the second party then these bodies would have been swept away as well.
  • The condition of the tent when it was discovered indicated that it had not been impacted with any form of snow flow of sufficient strength to knock over the poles.  Put another way – it had collapsed laterally not horizontally. This is clearly visible in the photographs.
  • An avalanche would have left “Flow” patterns and other “debris” distributed over a wide area.  Neither of these indicators were ever found.

• An avalanche of sufficient strength to “sweep” four people into a ravine – beyond the tree line – some 1.5 kilometres from their tent should have produced two results.  Firstly it would have caused far more serious and different injuries and secondly it would have damaged the tree line at the point of impact.  Neither of these conditions were ever observed.
  • The "dangerous" conditions sometimes referred to by proponents of the avalanche theory were observed in April and May when the snow falls of winter were melting.  During February, when the incident occurred, there were no such conditions.  In addition, the so called conditions were observed in a different location with significantly steeper slopes and cornices.
  • An analysis of the terrain, the slope and the incline indicates that even if there could have been a “miraculous” avalanche, its trajectory would have bypassed the tent.
  • Dyatlov was an experienced skier and the much older Alexander Zolotarev was studying for his Masters Certificate in ski instruction and mountain hiking.  Neither of these two men would have been foolish enough to allow the camp to be established anywhere in the path of a possible avalanche.

Link: http://www.aquiziam....ss_answers.html

Edited by Kowalski, 21 July 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#30    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostKowalski, on 21 July 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

From what I've read read, there was no signs of an avalanche. I know, one theory states something about a "snowfall" and in the Dark at night, they thought it was an avalanche, so they quickly left their tent. But, if that's the case, why not return back to the tent after they realized a avalanche was imminent? Remember, these were people who were experienced hikers.

Link: http://www.aquiziam....ss_answers.html
Best site I have seen in English, most are wildly inacurate. I can only really fault it on one minor aspect, which I have mentioned several times on this and another thread, is that the area of the incident was under the tragetory of R-7 rockets fired from Baikonur to the isand of Novaya Zemlaya, and though I cannot provide proof, an R-7 was launched over the days the incident is thought to have happened. The rocket did reach it's target so can be counted out as a factor, except to explain "orange balls" in the sky, though I doubt an observer on the ground would have seen the rocket exhaust at all at that location due to technical factors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users