Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Atheists meet God...

• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#256    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,565 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 05 July 2013 - 11:33 PM, said:

That wasn't me. That was a free willed bloke called lucifer, aka satan, who at the time was waging a war against my governance, with a third of  his mates, and suborned earth as a resistance outpost to my rule.
"It wasn't me who commanded that non-believers, sabbath breakers, and homosexuals should be killed; it was Satan! I'm actually a homosexual non-believer myself." - God

#257    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 19,338 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 07 July 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

"It wasn't me who commanded that non-believers, sabbath breakers, and homosexuals should be killed; it was Satan! I'm actually a homosexual non-believer myself." - God

LOL
God is a sexual, or at least of a very alien form of sexuality
:whistle:
Within the christian story god created a world of love, joy and peace. All the bad things came from humans believing satans words and separating them selves from god. It is a way humans explain the evil side of ourselves In the world as created  by the christian god(so the story goes) there would be no homosexuality, no infidelity, no greed, envy, lust, hate, anger or fear .

In the bible story we humans brought  that  on oursleves. Which, of course, HAS to be the position of any atheist. If god does not exist, then how humans are and the present sad condition of humanity is entirely causedby oursleves our own failuresand our own flaws and limitations.

Personally, as both an atheist and as a theist, i am disappointed in my fellow man, and believe we can be much better with or without god.

With or with out god, humans can be compassionate, loving, caring, kind, generous, altruistic and good. We sadly often chose to be selfish, haters, and fearful.

We need reducating. From my point of view the bible and many books of religion can be seen and used in this light, but so can logic, common sense, and putting a lower value on our own importance, compared with the importance of others. the single greatest failing of humaity is that our parents (out of love, and from our dependency as babies and young children) bring us up to think we are special and important, and that our  own lives matter more than someone elses.

That is not true. My life is as valuable as any other human's life. No more and no less. It is wrong for me to take, if that deprives another, and wrong to harm another to benefit myself.

Edited by Mr Walker, 07 July 2013 - 12:11 PM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#258    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 19,338 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

View Postalibongo, on 07 July 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

Yes, let's give it a shot. Let's go a little bit further, and suppose they were written by men who had no knowledge of medieval science, let alone modern science. Then we won't have to explain all sorts of contradictions and inconsistencies.

But they understood nature and people,  and the laws were designed to operate within the knowledge they had, to make societies stronger and safer, and to protect the people in the societies. There aren't many real contradictions in the bible. It is suprisingly consistent for being written over a couple of thousand years, by dozens of different people.

But modern humans tend to look at it through modern eyes and values, and very few people have  any historical knowledge of the life and times of the societies recorded in the bible. Heck, many modern people have no knowledge of their own society's laws and values from 100 years ago, or how people then thought and felt about things. A person can live by christ's words and example just as well today, as he did 2000 years ago tha tis how timeless they are.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#259    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

Sex is a pleasure drive, one that generally promises much more than it delivers.  It does not make babies.  We have knowledge of the connection, but babies are rarely involved in sex.  We can nowadays even make babies without sex.

The reason religions memes don't like sex is because it distracts people from seeking God or Enlightenment or Sainthood or whatever the formula of the particular group has latched onto.  Except in a married state, people, especially men, engage way too much time and money in the pursuit of sex, time and money that should go toward salvation and often gets to be more pleasurable than the sex itself,  so *spam filter* can be tolerated but not otherwise

Atheists don't need to deal with these things, but that doesn't mean one should ignore the consequences of sex.  It really is a waste of time and money.  Maybe the waste of time and money is your own rather than some church that would like to have it, but it still is a waste.

The moral considerations of consideration for others, compassion for their feelings, health, avoiding undesired pregnancies, seeing to the optimal rearing of children, economy of money and time, and so on, all argue for sex being best in both the long and short run in a married state, regardless of whether one believes in God or not.  I would not say that sex outside of marriage is evil, but it is unwise and less than optimal.

#260    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 19,338 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

Not sure about the accuracy of your first couple of sentences. This has really only had any validity since the 1960s and the oral contraceptive.

Sex has evolved as a pleasurable activity for humans over the last 100000 years or so for several reasons. One seems to be the intellectual component of sexual behaviour in humans. We are self aware, and that makes a difference  Men and women can intellectuallyy compare the pleasure and performance of differnt men or women Thus a better performer offering greater pleasure has an evolutionary advantage.

Knowing pleasure we seek to prolong and enhance it.

But also it seems to be connected to the long gestational and developmental time required for young humans to become indpendent. Evolution has provided more pleasure in sex for humans to keep mother and father together for long enough to raise a child. In no society can a  young mother and dependent  child survive without being provided for by others.

We have evolved that one man, a childs father generally, has the job of doing that, although tribes, families and other mechanisms sometimes replace or complement a father.

Even secular societies have problems with sex outside of marriage, because of the difficulties and costs it imposes on the society. Only very wealthy and robust societies, such as modern western ones can tolerate these costs.

Edited by Mr Walker, 08 July 2013 - 11:14 AM.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#261    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,817 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 07 July 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

Makes alot of sense to kill of your target audience doesn't it(for satan)?  :lol:

“Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.” - Blaise Pascal

#262    xxxch00bxxx

xxxch00bxxx

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 23 posts

• There is one thing i do know is that i know nothing

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 01 July 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

One thing I find funny about most Atheists is that when comes the time in moments of distress the first thing they do reach for is 'God'

Oh God ... Let me get through this , I promise this, I promise that , I swear I won't this , I swear I'll be that ....

but when the critical moments pass they go back to their normal Atheistic selves as if nothing ever happened ... :lol:

`

lol i was in a severe car crash and i was bleeding out quite heavily and in none of those moments before the medic's came did i ever " reach " out to god, i only hoped that if i were to die my friend would have the decency to take my jacket off and wrap it around my shorts so people wouldn't see the crap escaping my undies so that puts a good few holes in your statement

#263    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

That is an interesting myth that theists like repeating to themselves, the "foxhole atheist."  I liked the woman in Oklahoma who as she pulled her baby out of the rubble of a tornado was asked by a reporter if she thanked God for saving her baby and the woman looked at the reporter and said, "I'm an atheist"

I have prayed a few times for things I wanted, and then I realized that how trivial and selfish such prayers are, and I stopped.  It comes from a feeling of helplessness and a desire to be able to do something, and of course the congregations don't explain the reality but make full use of this human weakness.

#264    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,243 posts

• - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

"Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

View Postxxxch00bxxx, on 10 July 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

lol i was in a severe car crash and i was bleeding out quite heavily and in none of those moments before the medic's came did i ever " reach " out to god, i only hoped that if i were to die my friend would have the decency to take my jacket off and wrap it around my shorts so people wouldn't see the crap escaping my undies so that puts a good few holes in your statement

:lol: at least we know now that you're not among the " most Atheists " ...

~

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users