Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Maps show U.S. language differences by area

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,406 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

milk or mElk?

Nice midterms democrats.  As Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#17    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,065 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostBama13, on 02 July 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

Not a thing wrong with grilled ham & cheese sammich. Suprising that you are happy you have a southwestern accent instead of no accent. Southerners don't have accents, folks that don't sound like us have accents!! :yes:

"hows you're momma and them?" and "fixin to come a cloud" are classic.

A byway is a little travled side road.

What does "fixin to come a cloud" mean? Bad weather on the way?

I use byway the same way you do :) Also backroads to denote little traveled roads too.

#18    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

In the city here when going somewhere we can either go on the expressway (aka interstate or other highway) or go through the bottom, which means on roads with stoplights and such.

Edited by The world needs you, 02 July 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#19    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

View Postrashore, on 02 July 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

What does "fixin to come a cloud" mean? Bad weather on the way?

I use byway the same way you do :) Also backroads to denote little traveled roads too.

Yep, bad storm's acommin'

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#20    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

I've never understood people saying "I'm trying to catch a cold" Why would you try to catch a cold?

#21    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

View PostMichelle, on 02 July 2013 - 07:24 PM, said:

I've never understood people saying "I'm trying to catch a cold" Why would you try to catch a cold?

Don't think I've heard that one. Only reason I can think of is to miss work/school.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#22    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

View PostBama13, on 02 July 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

Don't think I've heard that one. Only reason I can think of is to miss work/school.

They say it when they feel like they are coming down with a cold.

And I always heard "the devil beating his wife" was when you could hear thunder when it's sunny outside.

#23    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

View PostMerc14, on 02 July 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

milk or mElk?

My buddy from New Orleans calls it that - mElk that is.  New Orleanians have a strange accent anyway.

I have to disagree with the one map on hoagies/heroes/subs - where I'm from along the Gulf Coast, it's called a Po-Boy.

I did like the merry/mary/marry.  I do the same thing with pen/pin - pronounce them exactly the same way.

I've always been fascinated with how folks in Upstate New York pronounce elementary.  Down south we say it like Dr. Watson (eluh-mentry), but up here it's pronounced eluh-MEN-terry.

The coke/soda/pop thing always makes me laugh.  I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard, "Hey, what kind of Coke do you want? I'll have a root bear."

Anybody call a dresser a chifferobe?

Edited by Rafterman, 02 July 2013 - 08:09 PM.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#24    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

• 3,609 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostRafterman, on 02 July 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

Bureau.

#25    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

View PostRafterman, on 02 July 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

Not anyone under eighty. I call it a dresser.

The older generation called a refrigerator a frigidaire...haven't heard that in years.

#26    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,065 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

I was born in Wisconsin, so it's milk.

The roll with stuff on it... it's a sub if it's cold cuts, a po-boy if its seafood, a hoagie if it is hot.. and a bomber if it's meatballs or sausage like italian sausage. And those names are for on the roll only- if it's between two slices of bread it's a sanDwich or sammie. Or oh, hot on a croissant is sometimes a hoagie too- we used to sell those for fundraisers in school, frozen hoagie croissants.

Mary/merry/marry is pronounced three different ways. Mar-y, mer-ry, mar-ry. It becomes apparent if you sing Mary Mack correctly, it's quite the tongue twister when you get up to speed.

A dresser is a long and low chest of drawers, highboy is a tall chest of drawers, chifferobe is a tall chest of drawers with a long cabinet for hanging clothes, bureau is a desk or sometimes a dresser.. A wardrobe is a tall cabinet for hanging clothes that might have a drawer at the bottom behind the doors.

#27    EnderOTD

EnderOTD

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

• I tried to enter my favorite quote but the data limit was breached so you get this. Pretty anti-climatic isn't it?

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

Reminds me of the time I visited my cousins in Florida as a child.  I asked one of my cousins if i could have a pop to drink, he just looked at me quite confused, he replied,"you want popcorn?"
My aunt being from the midwest told my cousin, "get him a soda Michael, they call soda, pop up north".  He thought I was from a different country lol.

#28    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,153 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

If anyone knows what a Chesterfield is, you get a digital cookie.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#29    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

• 3,609 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:33 PM

View Postrashore, on 02 July 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

I was born in Wisconsin, so it's milk.

The roll with stuff on it... it's a sub if it's cold cuts, a po-boy if its seafood, a hoagie if it is hot.. and a bomber if it's meatballs or sausage like italian sausage. And those names are for on the roll only- if it's between two slices of bread it's a sanDwich or sammie. Or oh, hot on a croissant is sometimes a hoagie too- we used to sell those for fundraisers in school, frozen hoagie croissants.

Mary/merry/marry is pronounced three different ways. Mar-y, mer-ry, mar-ry. It becomes apparent if you sing Mary Mack correctly, it's quite the tongue twister when you get up to speed.

A dresser is a long and low chest of drawers, highboy is a tall chest of drawers, chifferobe is a tall chest of drawers with a long cabinet for hanging clothes, bureau is a desk or sometimes a dresser.. A wardrobe is a tall cabinet for hanging clothes that might have a drawer at the bottom behind the doors.

This is why Midwesterners are known for perfect pronunciation and having the clearest accents.

View PostThanato, on 02 July 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

A sofa.

#30    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

View PostThanato, on 02 July 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

According to my antiques it's a cigarette.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users