Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Maps show U.S. language differences by area

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,998 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:07 AM

i've heard people pronounce tiger.....   tager .  ¿      Anyone ever hear a chimney called a  chimbley?    how about having  breffass  for breakfast?

lol  Ya!  EnderOTD it's pop ...     NOT  soda!     .   .   forners!

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#32    rodentraiser

rodentraiser

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

• "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

from Wrong Planet Forums

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:51 AM

OK, I give up. How do Mary/merry/marry all sound different? My aunt's name is Meredith and everyone calls her Merry, pronounced like the other two. By the way, is it ahnt or ant where you live?

Anyone ever seen that great show, The Story of English? I urge you to try and get the series from the library. They cover many regional accents including how people talk on Tangier's Island off the coast of VA and you get a chance to hear the different accents. They also go into some depth about where all our sayings come from. If I remember correctly, "you-all" is actually from Ireland. So is a-comin' and a- goin' - putting the "a" in front of certain verbs.

I'd like to give you guys a funny story. I visited VA for the first time ever a couple years ago (I live on the West Coast). I was looking for a street and I stopped to ask a bunch of old men where it was. They kept telling me that "Pahm" was just down the road. I told them I didn't want to go to Palm Street. They kept looking at me like I was loopy and maybe I was. The street I was looking for was Parham, and I finally figured out that's how they pronounced it. I left feeling really stupid and they probably laughed about the dumb Yank for the rest of the day.

Posted Image

I’m sick of voting for the lesser of two evils. The lesser of two evils is still evil. And almost always the lesser of two evils is our only choice.

We have been voting for the lesser of two evils for decade upon decade and look where it’s gotten us.     Coleman Luck

#33    Avatar Samantha Ai

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,746 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:22 AM

Research the mary-marry-merry merger for a full explanation but here is a quick explanation on the difference of pronunciation.

—snip

In many British (and some American) accents, ‘marry’ (and other ‘-arry’ words) are pronounced with the same vowel in ‘cat;’ ‘merry,’ (and other ‘-erry’ words) are pronounced with the same vowel in ‘pet;’ and ‘mary’ (and other ‘-ary’ words) is pronounced with the same vowel as that found in ‘fair.’

http://dialectblog.c...rry-merry-mary/

#34    Odin11

Odin11

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:16 AM

View PostRafterman, on 02 July 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

The coke/soda/pop thing always makes me laugh.  I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard, "Hey, what kind of Coke do you want? I'll have a root bear."

I live in MI, so its pop for me. I was down south once in a restaurant and asked for a coke and the waiter was like "what kind?" and I was like "what do you mean I just want a coke". She said "what kind do you want, Root beer, Mountain Dew, 7 up?" and I asked "you don't have coke?" and she got mad and said "yes we have coke" so I give up and said "then can I have a 7 up". The look on her face was priceless.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users