Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

6-Year-Old Dies After Accidental Shooting

hopkinsville shooting linda drive

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#16    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

View Postaztek, on 02 July 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

so what in your opinion would prevent this particular death from happening??? not that i don't agree on tragedy of child deaths.
I really don't have an answer. Awareness I suppose, which is why this type of story should be posted.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#17    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,391 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

Parents need to be aware other people's houses are not always childproof. Medications, cleaners, tools and whatnot are easily accessible in our house and children are not allowed unless the parents keep them in sight at all times. If they can't do that we all have to go outside or they have to leave. No discussion.

#18    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

View Postaztek, on 02 July 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

sure it does, you are smart woman, i'm surpriced you can't see it.

All I could see was a tragic story.. All that entered my head was - Those poor kids.. What is life going to be like now for that poor 4 year old kid?

Can you imagine growing up knowing you accidentally shot your sibling to death?  That would be traumatising..

Sorry aztek, but that was the only thing that entered my mind at the time when reading the article..

I know that each time a tragic story like that is posted, you will get the anti and pro gunners in...But I try sometimes to push my pro gun thoughts to one side when the story involves kids and tragic ...

Hope you don't think my post was getting at you, it wasn't meant to...

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#19    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

Still Waters  ( Person who posted the story )  usually just posts news articles at random..She will post anything up to 10 articles or more a day.. She has no agenda..Well other than posting news..

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#20    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 4,960 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 02 July 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

I really don't have an answer. Awareness I suppose, which is why this type of story should be posted.
yep, too bad grandpas don't come here to increase their awareness.

do you think ppl are not aware of it already?? or don't know it is not good idea to drive drunk? or leave prescription pills open easy accesable to kids?? i can assure you they are. but they still do it. why??? how do we fix that??

why do ppl smoke under no smoking sign? why do they leave dog crap with signs "curb your dog" all over the places? ...why ppl turn right under "no turns" sign???
is not a gun, or car, or hammer problem, it is human problem, and we wont move an inch if we keep implementing mesures in a wrong place, which we do.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#21    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 12,659 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 02 July 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

Even one child dying needlessly is too many. Just my opinion though.
I understand that many states are cracking down on negligence by adults that causes the deaths of children with firearms - just as penalties are becoming MUCH more severe for DUI related fatalities - in both cases it is a change for the better imo.

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#22    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 4,960 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

View Postand then, on 02 July 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

I understand that many states are cracking down on negligence by adults that causes the deaths of children with firearms - just as penalties are becoming MUCH more severe for DUI related fatalities - in both cases it is a change for the better imo.
i look at the numbers, and both dui and non dui fatalities are down year by year, that makes me think harsher panaltys are not the reason, safer cars are. you are a lot likely to die in a 1990 car than in 2010. t bone crashes used to be almost certain death, due to head injury, with developmemnt of side curtain airbags you are likely to survive, drunk or not.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#23    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

This is a sad story....
Why don't these morons keep their guns locked up?! :no:
They make the rest of us responsible gun owners look bad...

#24    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 12,659 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

View Postaztek, on 02 July 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

i look at the numbers, and both dui and non dui fatalities are down year by year, that makes me think harsher panaltys are not the reason, safer cars are. you are a lot likely to die in a 1990 car than in 2010. t bone crashes used to be almost certain death, due to head injury, with developmemnt of side curtain airbags you are likely to survive, drunk or not.
I don't dispute the numbers but my point is that the negligence is becoming much less acceptable in today's world.  In both instances the death and mayhem are preventable and occur due to carelessness that needs to be held accountable.

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#25    Spiral staircase

Spiral staircase

Breaking

• 3,607 posts

• Such an ugly feeling that won't leave.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

Not surprising this happened in Kentucky.

The states with the most gun fanatics will have the most "accidents".

It is their choice, that is why they have the most murders too. Maybe they will learn that gun reform is in their and their children's favor.

Edited by The world needs you, 02 July 2013 - 05:18 PM.

#26    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 4,960 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

no they don't, stop lying.  all you do is spread lies, and anyone googling your claims will see you are full of crap. acually Louisiana leads in murders

how does it feel trolling???

but don't stop. the more lies and nonsencde you spread, the more you turn ppl away from your side of the argument.  unless you are pro gun and doing it on purpose, destroying enemy camp from inside, if that is the case, you're doing wonderfull job.

Edited by aztek, 02 July 2013 - 05:26 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#27    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

View PostThe world needs you, on 02 July 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

It is their choice, that is why they have the most murders too. Maybe they will learn that gun reform is in their and their children's favor.

Don't lecture other people on what's in the "best interests" of their children. You don't have that right.
Why bring up gun reform anyway? Yes, the gun should have been locked up, but why do you feel the need to lecture people on how they should live....

#28    Spiral staircase

Spiral staircase

Breaking

• 3,607 posts

• Such an ugly feeling that won't leave.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

Louisiana has the highest murder rate? That too is part of the South, so again, not surprising.

in 1995 the South had the highest murder rate.

1995-02-02 04:00:00 PDT Washington -- The nation's Southern states lead the country in the rate of homicide as the United States remains the most killing-prone nation in the industrialized world, a new study shows.

http://www.sfgate.co...ord-3046695.php

In 2007 nothing had changed.

According to the F.B.I.'s latest crime report released on September 15, the South is the only region in the country that experienced a rise in its murder rate in 2007. The FBI reported that the murder rate in the country declined to 5.6 murders per 100,000 people in 2007 from 5.7 in 2006, and the rate declined in the Northeast, the Midwest, and the West. In the South, however, the murder rate increased from 6.8 in 2006 to 7.0 in 2007, the highest rate among the four regions. The South consistently has had the highest murder rate among the four regions.

http://www.deathpena...-most-prevalent

This is how Harvard professor, Steven Pinker, explains this:

American rates, too, have fallen steeply over the past two or three centuries. Pinker sees this decline as part of the “civilizing process,” a term he borrows from the sociologist Norbert Elias, who attributes it to the consolidation of the power of the state above feudal loyalties, and to the effect of the spread of commerce. (Consistent with this view, Pinker argues that at least part of the reason for the regional differences in American homicide rates is that people in the South are less likely to accept the state’s monopoly on force. Instead, a tradition of self-help justice and a “culture of honor” sanctions retaliation when one is insulted or mistreated. Statistics bear this out — the higher homicide rate in the South is due to quarrels that turn lethal, not to more killings during armed robberies — and experiments show that even today Southerners respond more strongly to insults than Northerners.)

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

Edited by The world needs you, 02 July 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#29    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,014 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 02 July 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

Even one child dying needlessly is too many. Just my opinion though.

No one is arguing that, but in the grand scheme of things, if I'm contemplating letting my daughter go over to the neighbor's house, I'd be much more concerned about how they store their household chemicals or how they secure their swimming pool gate than whether or not they have a firearm in the house.

Edited by Rafterman, 02 July 2013 - 05:41 PM.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#30    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,014 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

View PostThe world needs you, on 02 July 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

Kentucky doesn't have the highest murder rate.  It's not even close.

http://www.deathpena...and-state#MRord

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users