Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

California school sued over yoga as religion

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

Poll: Yoga in schools (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Should yoga be allowed in schools?

1. Yes (29 votes [76.32%])

Percentage of vote: 76.32%

2. No (6 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

3. Obligatory others (3 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

Do you practice mindfulness?

1. Yes (19 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No (5 votes [13.16%])

Percentage of vote: 13.16%

3. What is mindfulness? (14 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,608 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

Is yoga religious?

In a closely watched lawsuit in the San Diego-area where a family had sued the Encinitas, Calif. school district for what it saw as government sponsorship of religion for its yoga classes, a judge ruled Monday that yoga has religious roots but is not religious the way it's taught in the district.

*snip*

Compared with other religious traditions, white evangelical Protestants consistently express lower levels of acceptance of both Eastern beliefs (reincarnation, yoga) and New Age beliefs (spiritual energy in physical things and astrology).

Yoga Religion? California Schools Case Won't Stop Controversy

In a way this controversy brought upon by the religious intolerant is a good national conversation to have. It can only make more aware of practices such as yoga and mindfulness meditation and with all their health benefits it is likely more will adopt them as a result.

#2    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,810 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

Personally, I don't think yoga itself is religious. It's exercise. I know folks that do more meditation style yoga and hot yoga, and as far as I can tell they aren't religious in their exercise. Spiritual maybe, but not religious.

#3    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,797 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

If some people in California only have yoga to concern themselves with, then they really should count themselves very lucky!

What is wrong with some people, there are people being killed daily because of religion and all California have to moan about is YOGA!!!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#4    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,836 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

Do they feel threatened by stretching and breathing exercises?

#5    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

"Compared with other religious traditions, white evangelical Protestants consistently express lower levels of acceptance of both Eastern beliefs"

What kind of moronic quote is that? Compared to WHAT religious traditions? Compared to, say, islam? Do you even know what the koranic punishment for polytheism is? Take a look at the Bahmian Buddhas before posting nonsense like this.

I have no sympathy for bible-thumpers, but this lunatic idea that they are the worst among the religionists truly upsets me.
What ignorance.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#6    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

Yoga instructors these days have a wide range of practices. There are yoga instructors who simply teach the functions of the muscle groups and show how to stretch them. Then there are yoga instructors who also throw in all the traditional mystic energy mumbo jumbo that we know is complete hogwash. I'm amazed that they're called the same thing.

I say keep the yoga instructors who teach anatomy and chuck the ones who teach hogwash.

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,797 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

View PostWickian, on 02 July 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

Do they feel threatened by stretching and breathing exercises?
It depends if it involves duck tape.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#8    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

View Postscowl, on 02 July 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

Yoga instructors these days have a wide range of practices. There are yoga instructors who simply teach the functions of the muscle groups and show how to stretch them. Then there are yoga instructors who also throw in all the traditional mystic energy mumbo jumbo that we know is complete hogwash. I'm amazed that they're called the same thing.

I say keep the yoga instructors who teach anatomy and chuck the ones who teach hogwash.

Bit isnt the "mystic energy mumble jumble" the same that you get from Asian martial arts? Are the bible-thumpers also opposed to Kung Fu and Karate, not to mention Aikido?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#9    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,722 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

"Compared with other religious traditions, white evangelical Protestants consistently express lower levels of acceptance of both Eastern beliefs"

:w00t: Some of our schools have "yoga recess". There is water yoga, aerial yoga and dozens of yoga classes all over the city. I can't imagine where gullible people get these strange ideas.

#10    ChloeB

ChloeB

Government Agent

• 4,121 posts

• “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” — Leonardo da Vinci

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

View PostMichelle, on 02 July 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

:w00t: Some of our schools have "yoga recess". There is water yoga, aerial yoga and dozens of yoga classes all over the city. I can't imagine where gullible people get these strange ideas.

http://www.cbn.com/h...lternative.aspx

Why You Should Stay Away from Yoga
We are bombarded by messages of yoga’s peaceful and healthful benefits, but what we don’t hear, specifically in the United States, is the true origins of this type of lifestyle. Laurette made it very clear to me in a recent phone interview.
“These are postures that are offered to the 330 million Hindu gods. Yoga postures really are; they are offerings to the gods. If you do these postures and you do this breathing technique and this meditation, then you will be accepted by a god, little “G.” That’s the real danger,” she said.
Laurette told me that one of her PraiseMoves certified personal trainers visited India for three months on a mission trip, and she would often see people in the streets doing yoga poses in front of the statues of the gods.
“Romans 12:1-2 says we are to offer our bodies as a living sacrifice to God,” added Laurette. “Here they are doing something very similar with these postures to their 330 million gods, and it is scary. So we abstain from things offered to idols—Acts 15:29.”
In yoga they do what they call pranayama breathing. Prana is the Hindu word for life force, the same concept as the word chi in some martial arts. Yoga breathing attempts to manipulate that life energy, which Laurette believes is perilous. “That is a dangerous thing,” she said, “because I think that we are coming out from under the blood of Jesus when we do stuff like that, and we are no match for the enemy in those areas. I think of what Paul said in Ephesians 2:2, that Satan is the prince of the power of the air. We are not talking about oxygen.”
A third area of concern in yoga is the concept of emptying the mind, which is contradictory to what Christianity teaches. As Laurette explained, “We are transformed by the renewing of our minds, not the emptying.”
Along with emptying the mind, yoga guides people into astral travel, which is where people actually leave their bodies, a practice that Laurette was familiar with and has since questioned.  “I wonder with those experiences when I left my body what got in there when I was gone?” Laurette posed. “As a Christian with the Holy Spirit in there, we are not going to be possessed, I don’t think. But one could easily be oppressed.”
Clearly, with this understanding of yoga, Christians should think twice before heading to the local gym for a yoga class. But if you are a Christian who thinks it’s all right to attend yoga classes because you think you are strong enough not to fall prey to the spiritual deception that’s being taught and you enjoy the physical benefits, Laurette pleads in all seriousness that you to please consider a younger believer or weaker Christian who is watching your lifestyle. If you go to a yoga class, chances are they might be inspired to go also, and they could fall completely off track in their walk with God.

Laurette’s Story: Sucked into Yoga and the New Age
Laurette first got involved in yoga as a little girl. Her mother used to give free yoga classes to the college students, and Laurette was the demonstration model. Laurette loved being the center of attention, so yoga was fun. In addition, the exercises really relaxed her mother.
But Laurette warns that yoga’s ability to bring a sense of calm is one of its deceptive charms: “That’s one thing people look at, too,” said Laurette. “They say, ‘My doctor, my chiropractor, my physical therapist says to do it. It helps me. I feel less stressful.’ Well, it wouldn’t be a hook if it didn’t have something good in it.”
Yoga also fulfilled a spiritual need in Laurette’s life. Though her family went to church, Laurette says she never heard the message of salvation preached there.
“We didn’t know about living the victorious Christian life,” she explained. “We were not aware of the deception that is inherent within yoga and its connections to Hinduism. It seemed so spiritual, so it was fulfilling a void that was in our lives. I have found that any part of our lives that is not submitted to the lordship of Jesus Christ is an open door for the enemy. … As I look back, that was the open door to the New Age for us. We began getting into Edgar Cayce, Ouija boards, crystals, and all kinds of things.”

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.”
― William W. Purkey

#11    ChloeB

ChloeB

Government Agent

• 4,121 posts

• “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” — Leonardo da Vinci

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

I voted no, it shouldn't be allowed because it's probably just exercise to everyone but it's origins are religious or spiritual and there's a bunch of bible-thumping idiots in politics in this country that are just chomping at the bit to use ANY excuse to cram their religion in school and get prayer in, evolution out.  They'll use something like this as leverage so I say do yoga on your own time.

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.”
― William W. Purkey

#12    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,608 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 02 July 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

Bit isnt the "mystic energy mumble jumble" the same that you get from Asian martial arts? Are the bible-thumpers also opposed to Kung Fu and Karate, not to mention Aikido?

Some hard-core fundies do consider some martial arts evil. They claim at the higher levels you end up praying to Buddhist statues which are in their view demonic.

#13    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,722 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostChloeB, on 02 July 2013 - 07:00 PM, said:

I voted no, it shouldn't be allowed because it's probably just exercise to everyone but it's origins are religious or spiritual and there's a bunch of bible-thumping idiots in politics in this country that are just chomping at the bit to use ANY excuse to cram their religion in school and get prayer in, evolution out.  They'll use something like this as leverage so I say do yoga on your own time.

Leave it to you to find that angle. :P

#14    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,768 posts

• "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" (Freud )

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

View PostThe world needs you, on 02 July 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

Yoga Religion? California Schools Case Won't Stop Controversy

In a way this controversy brought upon by the religious intolerant is a good national conversation to have. It can only make more aware of practices such as yoga and mindfulness meditation and with all their health benefits it is likely more will adopt them as a result.

I just saw this on the news (local) and thought, seriously? Anyways, I am glad to see it will be staying. I practice yoga(Bikram) everyday in the summer.  It is really good for your health, and will get you into shape.

#15    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

In my town I see examples of the effects of poor diet and sedentary lifestyles every day.  Kids under the age of 12 that are already morbidly obese or damn close to it.  Young adults under the age of thirty who are out of shape, filled with a vibrant lack of energy or enthusiaism, with bellies that would make a professional barfly envious.

ANYTHING that promotes a healthier lifestyle should be encouraged whether it be baseball, gymnastics, or yoga.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users