Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

California school sued over yoga as religion

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

Poll: Yoga in schools (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Should yoga be allowed in schools?

1. Yes (29 votes [76.32%])

Percentage of vote: 76.32%

2. No (6 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

3. Obligatory others (3 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

Do you practice mindfulness?

1. Yes (19 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No (5 votes [13.16%])

Percentage of vote: 13.16%

3. What is mindfulness? (14 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 24,798 posts

• "If one is to be thought acceptable and agreeable in society, one must submit to being taught the same lessons over and over again." --Hammer

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

View PostChloeB, on 03 July 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

Mindfulness training has been found to help test scores according to a new study.
Researchers at the University of California, Santa Barbara found that teaching mindfulnessthrough meditation helped improve the GRE scores of students.
"Despite the wide recognition that mind wandering is a pervasive and often disruptive influence in our lives, almost no research has established effective strategies for reducing mind wandering," said co-author Michael Mrazek.
"We set out to find ways to reduce mind wandering and thereby improve performance within educational contexts."
The study recruited 48 college students and assigned half to a meditation classand the other to a nutrition class.
More from GlobalPost: Meditation can speed up the brain, researchers say
The classes convened four times per week for 45 minutes each.
The sessions lasted for two weeks.
The mindfulness classes focused on breathing and paying attention to their senses in order to not let their thoughts wander.
Tests were given before and afterfor reading comprehension and memory.
The students who took the mindfulness class showed significant improvements in their scores compared to those in the nutrition class.

http://www.globalpos...ove-test-scores

Interesting, yeah I can see on reading for focus maybe, but math or other subjects you simply have to know the material. Thanks for the link. :tu:

Edited by Sherapy, 03 July 2013 - 10:40 PM.

#47    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:38 PM

View PostBlueogre2, on 03 July 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

Yoga is a integral part of Hinduism.

Not true. Its part of humanity.

Then dont use books, gun powder etc... because religion invented them.

Edited by the L, 03 July 2013 - 10:45 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#48    Mindscanner

Mindscanner

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 43 posts

• '' The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding ''
    - Leonardo da Vinci

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

I suppose there are inter connections between Mind,Body and Soul in Human. Yoga method is all about achieving the higher state of consciousness, and your well being. The human mind is a powerful thing, It works just like a computer, there for every movement from opening your eyes,flexing your muscles and everything we do in life are controlled by it. The inner part of human so called ''Soul'' or the core of energy which located in the chakra areas. There you can channelize your energy how you like it, which in Yoga prioritizing in positive out come, such as focusing in teaching breathing technique to solve the current stress, anger and  fear. By releasing the negative energy and replace it with positive energy in your system, you would no longer having the same feeling of stress, anguish etc as long as you maintain your balance in your daily life. So it doesn't surprise me if, there are students out there who are more successful in their exam and out smarted other students in their intelligence by just simply practicing Yoga or meditation whether at home or at school. Remember, mind could take you as far as you want to go!

Edited by Mindscanner, 03 July 2013 - 10:58 PM.

#49    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

Odd that there are no numbers from the UCSB experiment, only interpretations about the results of the experiments.

#50    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

View Postthe L, on 03 July 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

Not true. Its part of humanity.

I think I understand what they're complaining about now.

Then dont use books, gun powder etc... because religion invented them.

Religion doesn't invent things.

#51    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

View Postscowl, on 03 July 2013 - 11:03 PM, said:

I think I understand what they're complaining about now.

Religion doesn't invent things.

Religion dont. But religion is reason and cause why are some things invented.
Printing press was invented in China to press religious books.
Gun powder was invented in China when alchemists search for elixir of immortality.

So...should we all not use gunpowder if we are not alchemists?

Also many priests invented many things. In that sense religion invent things.

Edited by the L, 03 July 2013 - 11:09 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#52    ChloeB

ChloeB

Government Agent

• 4,163 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

View PostSherapy, on 03 July 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

Interesting, yeah I can see on reading for focus maybe, but math or other subjects you simply have to know the material. Thanks for the link. :tu:

LOL, do you think math doesn't require focus?  No, it would be beneficial to any subject.  It increases focus and attention, which is important to learning any material.  If you're mind is wandering in a math class or any class, you aren't going to retain anything.

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.”
― William W. Purkey

#53    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

View PostChloeB, on 03 July 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

LOL, do you think math doesn't require focus?  No, it would be beneficial to any subject.  It increases focus and attention, which is important to learning any material.  If you're mind is wandering in a math class or any class, you aren't going to retain anything.

This is so very true...I know this first hand..I got Beckys end of year school report home a few days ago and it said that Becky struggles to focus more on math, her mind will wonder and she is easy distracted... Becky got a C in Math,which is not great.. She is one for chatter in class and I know she struggles with math more..

At home we would sometimes give her wee tests in math to help her, she does so well at home, but the second she is in school, its chatter box time, and her mind is in everything else BUT math....*sigh*...Her dad seems to think she takes after me..*shrugs* :unsure2:

She got an A in art and a B in English, but her math is something her teacher would call - Needs to focus more ...Aint it the truth  lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 03 July 2013 - 11:18 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#54    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 24,798 posts

• "If one is to be thought acceptable and agreeable in society, one must submit to being taught the same lessons over and over again." --Hammer

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:34 PM

View PostChloeB, on 03 July 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

In math you need to understand the concepts first,(via active listening) then practice them, it is really in the practice that one refines their math understanding because it is through the trial and error one sees where they are making mistakes. Math is also cumulative knowledge so you can pay attention till the cows come home if you do not understand the basic concepts what will you build an understanding on? I think yoga probably has some value( deep breathing to calm nerves before a test)  but IMO the problem with there types of studies is they are misleading, in the end it is the effort and practice you put into your studies that give you the edge on acing tests.  I am just adding that in.

#55    ChloeB

ChloeB

Government Agent

• 4,163 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:36 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 03 July 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

This is so very true...I know this first hand..I got Beckys end of year school report home a few days ago and it said that Becky struggles to focus more on math, her mind will wonder and she is easy distracted... Becky got a C in Math,which is not great.. She is one for chatter in class and I know she struggles with math more..

At home we would sometimes give her wee tests in math to help her, she does so well at home, but the second she is in school, its chatter box time, and her mind is in everything else BUT math....*sigh*...Her dad seems to think she takes after me..*shrugs* :unsure2:

She got an A in art and a B in English, but her math is something her teacher would call - Needs to focus more ...Aint it the truth  lol

LMAO, he said her being a chatterbox, she takes after you, hehe.  Well, not a bad thing, but yeah, sometimes it's harder to concentrate around all the kids.  I had that problem also. But yeah, I think math takes a lot of concentration and would definitely not be excluded.  Teachers know that it's more than shoving the material in front of a kid and telling them to learn it and know the material, but understanding how they learn is just as important.

― William W. Purkey

#56    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:39 PM

To make breaktrough in math you need meditation. Experiments, Hard working calculations. Visual understanding.

To be average mathmatichian you need to practice.

#57    ChloeB

ChloeB

Government Agent

• 4,163 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

View PostSherapy, on 03 July 2013 - 11:34 PM, said:

In math you need to understand the concepts first,(via active listening) then practice them, it is really in the practice that one refines their math understanding because it is through the trial and error one sees where they are making mistakes. Math is also cumulative knowledge so you can pay attention till the cows come home if you do not understand the basic concepts what will you build an understanding on? I think yoga probably has some value( deep breathing to calm nerves before a test)  but IMO the problem with there types of studies is they are misleading, in the end it is the effort and practice you put into your studies that give you the edge on acing tests.  I am just adding that in.

To understand and practice anything, you have to be mindful of what you are doing.  With math, the cumulative knowledge recalling past concepts you've learned requires your focus and concentration, staying on the task at hand.  These are all skills that can be improved with meditation, like brain training if that makes this any easier for you to grasp.  I see nothing at all misleading about it.

― William W. Purkey

#58    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:52 PM

View PostChloeB, on 03 July 2013 - 11:48 PM, said:

To understand and practice anything, you have to be mindful of what you are doing.  With math, the cumulative knowledge recalling past concepts you've learned requires your focus and concentration, staying on the task at hand.  These are all skills that can be improved with meditation, like brain training if that makes this any easier for you to grasp.  I see nothing at all misleading about it.

Meditation have greatest power in math then staying focus - it can solve particular math problems for us  as cosmic calculator.

Edited by the L, 03 July 2013 - 11:53 PM.

#59    Ehrman Pagels 1

Ehrman Pagels 1

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:02 AM

I'm surprised because yoga is big in Encinitas, and it's practically in my backyard. A famous Yogananda ashram is there, and Encinitas is, indeed, a pilgrimage spot for mystics, yogis, and spiritual people in general. True, Hatha Yoga has elements of religiosity, but one could easily work around those elements and make the technique as pure as calisthenics. It wouldn't be the same, of course, because "real" Hatha Yoga has the necessary element of imparting the mystical. It is, after all, a way to strengthen the chakra system, not just to limber the body. It is also a "physical prayer." A residing guru imparts "shakti" at the same time. One has to understand the nature of spiritual lineage. You just don't get up one day and say, "I'm going to teach Hatha Yoga." I think, not. There's so much to say...

Peace.

Edited by braveone2u, 04 July 2013 - 12:07 AM.

#60    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:13 AM

hmmmm interesting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users