Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

California school sued over yoga as religion

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

Poll: Yoga in schools (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Should yoga be allowed in schools?

1. Yes (29 votes [76.32%])

Percentage of vote: 76.32%

2. No (6 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

3. Obligatory others (3 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

Do you practice mindfulness?

1. Yes (19 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No (5 votes [13.16%])

Percentage of vote: 13.16%

3. What is mindfulness? (14 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

• Why was Jesus' tomb empty?

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:25 AM

View Postkannin, on 04 July 2013 - 12:13 AM, said:

hmmmm interesting
Yes, it is interesting. If I were a Hatha Yogi guru, I would be offended. Mere stretching exercise is no Yoga. It goes both ways. Did I just give some yogis a way to sue their school system?

"Also, if they (Gospels) were written early (before 70 AD), this would mean that there would not have been enough time for myth to creep into the gospel accounts since it was the eyewitnesses to Christ's life that wrote them."

#62    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:47 AM

View PostChloeB, on 03 July 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

LMAO, he said her being a chatterbox, she takes after you, hehe.  Well, not a bad thing, but yeah, sometimes it's harder to concentrate around all the kids.  I had that problem also. But yeah, I think math takes a lot of concentration and would definitely not be excluded.  Teachers know that it's more than shoving the material in front of a kid and telling them to learn it and know the material, but understanding how they learn is just as important.

Yes, she does need to focus on what the teacher is trying to show the class instead of chitter chatter....If she looked at what the teacher was showing  her and the class on how to work out an easy pattern and the numbers etc, she would be fine...

For example - At home I was showing her the patterns in the numbers for each sum she was working out.. Lie  IE - The times tables ( Multiplication - 7 X 7.. 8 X 7 etc.. ) Getting her to pay close attention to each answer, I wrote down and showed  the pattern with the answers...I showed her how to add and subtract using little tricks to make it easy...She does good at home, because I make sure nothing distracts her..But ohh man, when she is in class it's a different story...

View Postthe L, on 03 July 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

Meditation have greatest power in math then staying focus - it can solve particular math problems for us  as cosmic calculator.

Thanks for posting the info before... About meditation, I cannot see my 7 year old sticking with it..I will try something and see if it works... Fingers crossed...

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 04 July 2013 - 12:49 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#63    sam_comm

sam_comm

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:20 AM

Yes, Yoga should be taught at school, why not? I can see a place for it in a fitness & exercise class at high school.

Yoga and meditation can be done in a non-religious way. Absolutely. Many Athletes now choose to try Yoga session for the physicial and psychological benefit that can be gained from it.

It could benefit students as well while going to their next class with a relaxed mind and body.

I myself do mindful meditation to keep at baie stress and anxieties and it's really an activity which I am glad to have discovered. It's simple, free and can bring you a lot. A 20 minutes per day that becomes a routine and which is good for anyone.

Edited by sam_comm, 04 July 2013 - 02:22 AM.

#64    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,151 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:46 AM

Just from my experience...

My mother taught both classical dance and yoga for many years. The yoga was for exceptional limbering.

There was no religious aspect with it from her at all.

But that was my experience, I'm sure other's have different experiences when exposed to yoga.

#65    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:48 AM

Teach Yoga in gym no big deal

#66    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:05 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 04 July 2013 - 12:47 AM, said:

Thanks for posting the info before... About meditation, I cannot see my 7 year old sticking with it..I will try something and see if it works... Fingers crossed...

It can spent minutes in silence especially when her his friends and teacher stay in silence.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#67    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,558 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:22 AM

View PostSherapy, on 03 July 2013 - 11:34 PM, said:

In math you need to understand the concepts first,(via active listening) then practice them, it is really in the practice that one refines their math understanding because it is through the trial and error one sees where they are making mistakes. Math is also cumulative knowledge so you can pay attention till the cows come home if you do not understand the basic concepts what will you build an understanding on? I think yoga probably has some value( deep breathing to calm nerves before a test)  but IMO the problem with there types of studies is they are misleading, in the end it is the effort and practice you put into your studies that give you the edge on acing tests.  I am just adding that in.
Hey Sherapy,

As you know, my brother's a psychologist.  His PhD dealt with meditation.  He tested some people with some math questions, and mental gymastics (eg, I'm going to say a series of numbers, then you can recite them back to me - starts of easy, as in a two-number pattern, but it gets tougher as they're attempting to recite ten numbers or more; then another set of tests where they have to repeat the numbers in reverse order - that kind of thing).  He gave a series f tests, and then gave them a fifteen minute break.  One group of people did whatever they wanted, read a book, surfed the net, chatted with friends, whatever.  The other group took part in a meditation session.  When they got back, they did an almost identical task.  The group who did whatever they wanted statistically scored worse the second time around.  The group who meditated statistically scored better than the first time.  The conclusion in his PhD was that the brain was "exhausted" after the first test, and therefore was fatigued when the second test began, but meditation can help recharge the brain's energy stores.

His PhD was more complicated than that, but this is one example from his study.  The point - in mathematics, there are a lot of numbers and figures to remember, formulas to juggle, rules to remember.  It can get very tiring.  Meditation can help recharge the brain, get you focused again, and therefore more likely to remember the formulas and the numbers, and less likely to make a mistake by overlooking a number or a step in the formula.  

Edit: in short, that is the reason why I voted Yes to the question - yoga and other meditation techniques are going to improve performance in class, because the students can metaphorically recharge their brain energy and thus perform better.  Just a thought :)

~ Regards,

Edited by Paranoid Android, 04 July 2013 - 05:26 AM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#68    Jesus Loves Us

Jesus Loves Us

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 143 posts

• 6' 2", Amazon queen.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 04 July 2013 - 05:22 AM, said:

Edit: in short, that is the reason why I voted Yes to the question - yoga and other meditation techniques are going to improve performance in class, because the students can metaphorically recharge their brain energy and thus perform better.  Just a thought :)

~ Regards,
What kind of meditation technique did they do? Was it relaxation or Christian?

#69    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 04 July 2013 - 05:22 AM, said:

As you know, my brother's a psychologist.  His PhD dealt with meditation.  He tested some people with some math questions, and mental gymastics (eg, I'm going to say a series of numbers, then you can recite them back to me - starts of easy, as in a two-number pattern, but it gets tougher as they're attempting to recite ten numbers or more; then another set of tests where they have to repeat the numbers in reverse order - that kind of thing).  He gave a series f tests, and then gave them a fifteen minute break.  One group of people did whatever they wanted, read a book, surfed the net, chatted with friends, whatever.  The other group took part in a meditation session.  When they got back, they did an almost identical task.  The group who did whatever they wanted statistically scored worse the second time around.  The group who meditated statistically scored better than the first time.  The conclusion in his PhD was that the brain was "exhausted" after the first test, and therefore was fatigued when the second test began, but meditation can help recharge the brain's energy stores.

His PhD was more complicated than that, but this is one example from his study.  The point - in mathematics, there are a lot of numbers and figures to remember, formulas to juggle, rules to remember.  It can get very tiring. Meditation can help recharge the brain, get you focused again, and therefore more likely to remember the formulas and the numbers, and less likely to make a mistake by overlooking a number or a step in the formula.  

Wow that was a really good post that has me thinking, perhaps my own daughter could seriously use some sort of meditation..She struggles to focus in class with math, and for some reason only math...She is good at everything else...
I just felt at a loss when her teacher noted on her school report - "Becky needs to focus and not get too distracted"...  

Becky struggled more with numbers...  Her teacher went on to note - "Becky can work well with numbers doing math IF there is a chart in front of her, something that helps her, but she cannot manage well on her own with no help"...Overall her teacher noted  Becky is a well mannered and most pleasant little girl and a pleasure to teach...So, the focus is the main problem...I wish she wasn't too chitty chatty......

Becky when asked about this, did what a lot of kids like to do and that's - Point the finger and play the blame game.. All I got was - "Well it was not my fault, it was Abby  OR Alice, they want to talk, I can't help it.."  ..Of course I knew she was making excuses, I told her that no one can make you talk during class, unless the teacher is asking you..I gave her a bit of a lecture.... Sigh..

Your brother sounds like someone I could use for advice and tips what to do to help my daughter focus... I am at a bit of a loss..But in saying that, I have to try something for when she is ready to start primary four next term...

Anyhoo, thanks for posting that, it was helpful.  You must come from a pretty smart family background, you the teacher and your brother a PHD... Must be in the genes....

I wish your brother was a member of UM  lol. :P ...Thanks for posting that PA.

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 04 July 2013 - 11:34 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#70    ChloeB

ChloeB

Government Agent

• 4,050 posts

• “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” — Leonardo da Vinci

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

I don't know how realistic this is, but it's an intriguing thought.  Posted Image

Edited by ChloeB, 04 July 2013 - 11:55 AM.

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.”
― William W. Purkey

#71    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 5,970 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

View PostChloeB, on 04 July 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

I don't know how realistic this is, but it's an intriguing thought.  Posted Image
Nice one Dalai Lama, I can just taste the potential in that idea ...

Edited by libstaK, 04 July 2013 - 12:13 PM.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#72    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,558 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

View Poststop yield, on 04 July 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

What kind of meditation technique did they do? Was it relaxation or Christian?
You mean my brother's research? He's not a Christian so I doubt there was any Christian meditation. I honestly don't know the specifics. I have a copy of his PhD, but it's many many thousands of words long. I'll go out on a limb and say there was no Christian influence, being that he's not Christian.

Edited by Paranoid Android, 05 July 2013 - 02:23 AM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#73    Lex540

Lex540

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

• I am unique and distinct

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

never not many like think globally and act locally

#74    diablo_04

diablo_04

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• I reject your reality and substitute my own

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

I don't like it!
You can label it how ever you want its still is a big part of a religion.
Honestly there are lot of other physical activities that can do better job making the kids fit and strong.
What is wrong you people this days, politics and religion should stay off the educational system.

Posted Image

I reject your reality and substitute my own

My site :D Workout tips

#75    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,337 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

Not that I am defending yoga but the point is to move fluidly rather than all this hard-impact stuff. You can be just as fit with toga or tai chi.

HOWEVER once you strip away all the fantasies, mysticisms, mudras, chants, etc then yoga is not any different that anything else but then again it looses its appeal when fantasy is stripped away.

Recess needs to come back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users