Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is it never too early to learn how to swim?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    docyabut2

docyabut2

Alien Abducter

• 5,063 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:42 AM

http://video.foxnews...id=940325739001

Thrust me,after losing a three year old consin  in a pool 53 years ago that survival course in the best.I rembember after losing her I took my son to a that course at the YMCA. He was five but the course before our class was the babies, I rembember when the frist class was of learning the kids how to hold their breath ,those babies came out throwing up their formulas,  I thought how awfu!,but at the end of the classes they let us watch as they threw those babies off the diving board and watching them swim to the side was truely amazing. Years later when I had my daughters I took them to another swiming class at the Y and all they did after five classes of ring around the rosy they never did learn how to swim, so in rembembering the survival course, I taught them myself. Never to early to learn these kids that course and how to swim with all the pools people have in the neighbor hoods.

Edited by docyabut2, 03 July 2013 - 03:13 AM.

#2    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

• "Live with cause and leave results to the great law of the universe"

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

Thats amazing! Not like the parents are goign for a beer down the pub while the kid swims...... this is a good thing to teach young I feel

Watch this space

#3    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:52 AM

The soviets started it with new born babies.  They do know how to hold their breath under water.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#4    acidhead

acidhead

GOV Debt Slave

• 11,707 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:19 AM

View Postdanielost, on 03 July 2013 - 03:52 AM, said:

The soviets started it with new born babies.  They do know how to hold their breath under water.

Posted Image

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#5    RavenEyes19

RavenEyes19

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:27 AM

I wish my parents had done this with me. I've always loved the water, but I was afraid of deep water my whole childhood because my mom passed on her fear to me ( almost drowned when she was a teen) I didn't learn to properly swim until I was a teenager and now I swim all the time.

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 14,691 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:57 AM

Aussie neo-natals are taught how to not panic when in the pool, how to float etc.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#7    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,481 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:06 AM

I love how the fox host asks if they just throw the kid in the water. Yup just throw a baby in a pool and hope for the best lol

Edited by The Silver Thong, 03 July 2013 - 05:06 AM.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#8    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:43 AM

That was the old methiod, not babies but children.  I assume mom and dad decided at what age.

I taught myself to swim. I am not a good swimmer tho.  I also taught myself how slow dance, I should say the lady I was danceing with helped, woth out knowing it.  I have stepped on a few toes.

There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#9    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,863 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

This topic  came up awhile back after i had just seen a special bit on TV  about babies being instinctively able to cope with being in the water.  'They' tossed babies in water where they would instantly begin wriggling around until they righted themselves,  face UP in the water, where they floated about seemingly right at home.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#10    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,492 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

I agree, it's never too early to learn how to swim. I didn't learn how to swim until I was 7 years old when my father tossed me into the deep end of a pool and said 'Swim'. So I did. That's how I was taught.

This video has recently gone viral and shows that it's never too young to learn.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#11    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

I'm continually amazed by the number of adults I encounter that can't swim - my Mother in Law is one of them.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#12    docyabut2

docyabut2

Alien Abducter

• 5,063 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

The course is not just that simple of just throwing a baby in the water:) the frist classes are of dunking them many times to teach them how to hold their breath. Then you stand about four feet from the side and push the head down under the water and give a push after many times they learn to looked for the side when they come up and swim to the side.After many times doing that  you go out to a farther distance and when they come up they learn to looked for the sides and swim.It was amazing  to watch them dropped them off the diving board in deep  middle water and watch them come up and looked for the sides and swim all the way there.

Edited by docyabut2, 03 July 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#13    Thanato

Thanato

Alien Abducter

• 4,984 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

View PostRafterman, on 03 July 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

I'm continually amazed by the number of adults I encounter that can't swim - my Mother in Law is one of them.

Well you have to think how many people actual encounter large bodies of water (outside of a backyard swiming pool every now and then)

Many in large urban centres do not have the need to be on the water.

I grew up next to a lake. Hell I nearly drown when I was a year and a half old. But I learnt how to swim. Growing up in the Kawartha's we spent a lot of time on the water, mainly do to the large number of lakes around here. But how many people really do spend time on the water, or near the water? Swimming lessons are something every child should have but who knows how many actually get it.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#14    preacherman76

preacherman76

Ntwadumela- He who greets with fire

• 12,360 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

View Postdanielost, on 03 July 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

That was the old methiod, not babies but children.  I assume mom and dad decided at what age.

I taught myself to swim. I am not a good swimmer tho.  I also taught myself how slow dance, I should say the lady I was danceing with helped, woth out knowing it.  I have stepped on a few toes.
Yea thats how I learned. My uncle brought me out to this big rock everyone was jumping off of. He looked down at me and says, you know how to swim? Im like no. And he says' well ya better learn. And learn I did real quick.

Edited by preacherman76, 03 July 2013 - 03:29 PM.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#15    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

View PostThanato, on 03 July 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

Well you have to think how many people actual encounter large bodies of water (outside of a backyard swiming pool every now and then)

Many in large urban centres do not have the need to be on the water.

I grew up next to a lake. Hell I nearly drown when I was a year and a half old. But I learnt how to swim. Growing up in the Kawartha's we spent a lot of time on the water, mainly do to the large number of lakes around here. But how many people really do spend time on the water, or near the water? Swimming lessons are something every child should have but who knows how many actually get it.

Not, enough.  One excuse has already been gven.  But, I think these parents should be the first in line for the class.  That way their kids would have a better chance of not repeating what the parent did.  But, that should be the parents choose not anyone else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users