Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Bear euthanizes cub then commits suicide

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

From Psychology Today

"Chinese media has reported that a captive bear on a Chinese bear farm killed her son and then herself after she heard him cry out in pain when a catheter was jammed into his abdomen so that bile could be extracted from his gallbladder for human medicinal purposes. Around 14,000 bears are kept in horrific conditions and routinely tortured on Chinese bear farms. In this case "a mother bear reportedly broke free after hearing her cub's cry, causing [bear] 'farmers' to run away in fear. She then ran to the cub's side and immediately smothered it, then ran headlong into a wall and killed herself instantly.""

"The bile that is extracted is used for a variety of ailments in the name of Traditional Chinese Medicine, but there are more than 100 synthetics and herbs that are actually better and cheaper and experts agree that bile is no longer needed. Surely, it's time for a change."

Surely.

Ahimsa paramo dharma

#2    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

It's horrible, makes me cringe in sorrow.

They do the same with lions. Caging them isn't enough, no .. they have to live in in agony. Just goes to show how vile and egotistical humans can be. And completely BLIND to science and progress. In the face of proof that this traditional crap is redundant, they STILL torture animals to get their way. Disgusting.

And another reason why certain ppl on these forum need to check themselves when they are mindlessly defending traditional medicines.

#3    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostRender, on 03 July 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

And another reason why certain ppl on these forum need to check themselves when they are mindlessly defending traditional medicines.

If it involves harming animals, I agree, but I think things like acupuncture actually help.

#4    Phaeton80

Phaeton80

Psychic Spy

• 1,409 posts

• "Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.."

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

These people will get what they deserve, as we will all do.

Bear wins, on all accounts.

#5    FarmWalker

FarmWalker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

She loved her cub and did what she thought was best for it.  So sad!

#6    MacsMom

MacsMom

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

• Random crap that no one reads anyway

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

Heartbreaking and amazing that people still believe that such hocus pocus is still the best way to go.  I'm all for alternative medicine but I can't believe that anything that must be acquired through the torture and/or death of animals is the best alternative.

Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along.  Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder where those years have gone?

#7    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,901 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

TCM should not be blamed for these abuses ... many search for these cures usually by pass the practitioners and medicinal halls, the last resort magical cure as it were, the Sinsehs / TCM Doctors knows that the bile collected in such a manner are useless but desperate patients and ignorance will leave them open to profit predators promising wonder cures. The ancient usage recommends bile from bears in hibernation and wild bears ... something to do with the diet ... and the bears should never be harmed or killed as the bile then would be useless. Now no one cares about the the accuracy of the ancient principles ... easy profit from ignorant desperate patients trumps humaneness I guess.

There is another wonder natural cure all is the reputed porcupine tumors ... worth six to ten times its weight in gold.  Many do not believe in it or that it works other than those that has seen its effects ... if it is collected after the porcupine is killed the color changes ... and is worthless ... and not every one has these tumors, the theory is the immune system plus its natural diet produces the tumors from wounds. I've seen the effects ... still don't believe my eyes, a friends parent was in and out of coma due to dengue fever and the hospital was out of ideas ... one of the Doctors suggested we try to source it as a last resort ... and in eight hours the patient was up and about and joking again ...

The problem nowadays is too many only wants to know about the cures when its too late ... and then in desperation they fall for all sorts of false cures, who cares when they going to die anyway ...

~

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#8    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

I tried to find out more about this to see what has been done since this happened.

And apparantly this bear suicide is dated from 2011.
These are more recent articles, which have a more positive undertone im pleased to say:

Folk Remedy Extracted From Captive Bears Stirs Furor in China

CHENGDU, China — It was, at first glance, a rather modest initial public offering by a small Chinese company seeking to expand production of the key ingredient used in traditional remedies said to shrink gallstones, reduce fevers and sooth the aftereffects of excessive drinking.
But Guizhentang Pharmaceutical, the country’s largest producer of bear bile extract, apparently overlooked one important factor before submitting its application to the Shenzhen Stock Exchange: China’s increasingly audacious animal rights movement.

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

And more substantial business results:

China Bear-Bile Farm Operator Among 269 Companies to Pull IPO

Fujian Guizhentang Pharmaceutical Co., a Chinese maker of bear-bile products, withdrew its application for an initial public offering as regulators increased scrutiny of companies seeking listings.
Guizhentang was among 269 companies to pull their applications this year, the China Securities Regulatory Commission said in statements on its website on May 31, without giving a reason for the withdrawals.

Animal-rights activists have opposed Guizhentang’s listing since last year, when Beijing Loving Animals Foundation sent the securities regulator a petition signed by 70 Chinese celebrities, including snooker champion Ding Junhui and painter Chen Danqing. Guizhentang says on its website that it can harvest bile from bears without causing discomfort. Animal welfare groups say the process is inhumane.

http://www.bloomberg...o-pull-ipo.html

If anybody here wants to show some form of support against this vile act:

Sign our online petitions

Help us end bear bile farming in China
http://www.animalsas...UID=N0BRR1F5I6F

There is also a petition against cruelty against dogs and cats in china:
Help us end the torture for dogs and cats
same link: http://www.animalsas...UID=N0BRR1F5I6F

#9    Enchntress

Enchntress

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

• No good deed goes unpunished.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:10 AM

I'm glad to see that China is slowly but surely, becoming more aware. Progress can be detrimental at times, but hanging on to ancient beliefs especially when it involves torture can be so much worse.

I would think that taking one of these 'cures' that involved suffering to procure would totally RUIN any good that it may do - Karma can be a mean, old b**** and I can only hope that those involved in any sort of torture and/or abuse will get their just reward. :yes:

#10    Sakari

Sakari

Say it how it is

• 13,000 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:28 AM

I really do not care what people think about my reply, you can say I am no better then they are, but I know I am...I care about the future generations.

What do you do if weeds attack your lawn?......

You kill / get rid of them.

What do you do if fleas attack your dogs?.....

You kill / get rid of them.

What should we do to anything screwing up the environment, and nature, that is not natural, so our future generations do not get to enjoy it?

( and no, saying humans are part of nature does not work for me, we have morals and brains, if we are not using them, we are a weed )

Shark fins, Rhino horns, Elephant tusks, Bear bladders, etc,etc,etc,....

If I had a button sitting on my keyboard right now, that would destroy Japan, and China, and other Countries that still believe in this voodoo bull****, I would not hesitate for one second on pushing it right now....Hell years ago.

Innocent people, so what, kill them all and let God Fate / Whatever sort them out.

We are a fricken Cancer, we are mold on a sandwich. We are eating away our home, and something needs to be done about it.

We need a plague so ******* bad.

Edited by Sakari, 04 July 2013 - 12:29 AM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#11    Sakari

Sakari

Say it how it is

• 13,000 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:31 AM

View PostRender, on 03 July 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

I tried to find out more about this to see what has been done since this happened.

And apparantly this bear suicide is dated from 2011.
These are more recent articles, which have a more positive undertone im pleased to say:

Folk Remedy Extracted From Captive Bears Stirs Furor in China

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

And more substantial business results:

China Bear-Bile Farm Operator Among 269 Companies to Pull IPO

http://www.bloomberg...o-pull-ipo.html

If anybody here wants to show some form of support against this vile act:

Sign our online petitions

Help us end bear bile farming in China
http://www.animalsas...UID=N0BRR1F5I6F

There is also a petition against cruelty against dogs and cats in china:
Help us end the torture for dogs and cats
same link: http://www.animalsas...UID=N0BRR1F5I6F

Signed.....

Bump

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#12    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:02 AM

View PostSakari, on 04 July 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

I really do not care what people think about my reply, you can say I am no better then they are, but I know I am...I care about the future generations.

That's good, every individual counts, and they affect others around them.

If I had a button sitting on my keyboard right now, that would destroy Japan, and China, and other Countries that still believe in this voodoo bull****

It's not just foreigners.

"Researchers concluded that “the demands of the Chinese traditional medicine market for bear gall and other bear products has caused poachers to look to American black bears, brown bears and polar bears to meet the demands of the bear parts market” and “the sale of bile from bear farms in China would not decrease the demand for bear galls from the wild”.

One shop told the investigator the gall was from a wild caught polar bear and was called “Golden-silk polar bear gall”.

Yeah, the wild ones are so much better, much better magic than captive bears.  /sigh

Anyways, North Americans are doing the poaching, something like 40,000 bears a year just in Canada. The Russian mafia is also cleaning up in bear gall sales to China.

Some things can't be rushed. It took years of struggling to end slavery, child labour and emancipate women in the West. I imagine it will take much longer in the East to enact and enforce meaningful animal welfare laws (India seems to be an exception).

The hope I have is that China cannot financially grow at it's current rate if the West continues to bury itself in debt while spending like a drunken sailor.  So one day the bottom will drop out and all these millionaires (I read there are now a million millionaires in China) will be forced to down size their magic medicine chests.

In the meantime, we can avoid Walmart, the distribution arm of the Peoples Republic and learn to live with less stuff.

edit: here's where I first saw this story. The Animal Legal Defense Fund does a lot of work to protect animals by getting legislation and laws passed/amended and through education.

I understand your sentiments completely as do other commentators on that ALDF article.

I came, I saw, I wept.

Edited by redhen, 04 July 2013 - 03:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users