Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Bug found in Ecuador's Embassy in UK

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,975 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

The Guardian said:

A hidden microphone has been found inside the Ecuadorean embassy in London, where the WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is holed up, according to the country's foreign minister.

Ricardo Patiño said the device had been discovered a fortnight ago inside the office of the Ecuadorean ambassador, Ana Alban, while he was in the UK to meet Assange and discuss the whistleblower's plight with the British foreign secretary, William Hague.

"We regret to inform you that in our embassy in London we have found a hidden microphone," Patiño told a news conference in Quito on Tuesday.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

So someone paid someone to spy on someone in the embassy and that someone said yes. Would it be surprising if someone from the embassy did NOT know about the bug.....nope!
Well its not quite Watergate.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,349 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

suspend the status of the Ecuadorian embassy, and send in the police arrest Assange and deport him, problem solved, done and dusted.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,975 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 03 July 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

suspend the status of the Ecuadorian embassy, and send in the police arrest Assange and deport him, problem solved, done and dusted.

Problem is that after diplomatic rules, if relations get suspended another country takes over the interests of Ecuador (i.e. Switzerland for the US in Iran), Assange is still there, can't be arrested and the damage to relations with Ecuador are irreparable.

Brilliant idea my mucker, very brilliant.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

They knew too much about flying saucers!

• 27,502 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

Oh dear. Still, it's not uncommon in these older properties with less conscientious landlords. Perhaps they could try a reputable brand of Insect repellent.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#6    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,349 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 03 July 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

Problem is that after diplomatic rules, if relations get suspended another country takes over the interests of Ecuador (i.e. Switzerland for the US in Iran), Assange is still there, can't be arrested and the damage to relations with Ecuador are irreparable.

Brilliant idea my mucker, very brilliant.

no, its very simple, we suspend the embassy status, it then just becomes another building like anyother other, the police enter and arrest Assange, and we hand him over, who cares if relations with Ecuador are damaged. who the hell is Ecuador, to many politicians these days are more concerned with what others think. we should just get on with the job in hand. we've got four police officers on guard 24/7 waiting at the embassy in case Assange tries to leave once he steps out the door he can be arrested. in my view within hours of him fleeing into the embassy we should have acted. it would have been over and done with months ago, over 12 months ago in fact.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#7    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,975 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 03 July 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

no, its very simple, we suspend the embassy status, it then just becomes another building like anyother other, the police enter and arrest Assange, and we hand him over, who cares if relations with Ecuador are damaged. who the hell is Ecuador, to many politicians these days are more concerned with what others think. we should just get on with the job in hand. we've got four police officers on guard 24/7 waiting at the embassy in case Assange tries to leave once he steps out the door he can be arrested. in my view within hours of him fleeing into the embassy we should have acted. it would have been over and done with months ago, over 12 months ago in fact.

So, why was that not done in past cases? Because the building still is sovereign territory of Ecuador just as any former British embassy where Britain does not have any diplomatic relations. And until Britain does not break relationships with all suitable representatives that can take over the representation of Ecuador it will remain that way. That is why we had those hundreds of people in Western representations in the East Block during the cold war. The only way to change that is that Ecuador renounces the building. As long as Assange is in there I doubt that will happen.

about me

#8    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 13,038 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 03 July 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

So, why was that not done in past cases? Because the building still is sovereign territory of Ecuador just as any former British embassy where Britain does not have any diplomatic relations. And until Britain does not break relationships with all suitable representatives that can take over the representation of Ecuador it will remain that way. That is why we had those hundreds of people in Western representations in the East Block during the cold war. The only way to change that is that Ecuador renounces the building. As long as Assange is in there I doubt that will happen.
Given the way he's been behaving, I'd say they'll renounce Assange.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#9    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,354 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

I wonder how all of this is affecting foreigners living in Ecuador.  Plenty of people retire there since it is so cheap.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,098 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 03 July 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

So someone paid someone to spy on someone in the embassy and that someone said yes. Would it be surprising if someone from the embassy did NOT know about the bug.....nope!
Well its not quite Watergate.
If it is such that they are able to find it then they put it there.

#11    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,975 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 03 July 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

Well, I would not have put it on the blackboard and would have used it to send MI5 on a wild goose chase.

about me

#12    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

• 27,502 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 03 July 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

indeed, the CIA or MI5 or NSA or whoever you like can bug people in much more discreet ways without having to do all the old fashioned things like planting hidden mcirophones, as we all know.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#13    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,975 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 04 July 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

indeed, the CIA or MI5 or NSA or whoever you like can bug people in much more discreet ways without having to do all the old fashioned things like planting hidden mcirophones, as we all know.

Mostly unsuspecting people is who they can bug in a more effective way, those who expect it (i.e. Embassies) cannot, they are perfectly capable of even finding the latest technology... if they suspect something is going on.

about me

#14    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

• 27,502 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

Well, exactly; throw them an obvious bug, like something out of a 1970s spy movie, and let them think that they've got that sorted, and then carry on eavesdropping on them by the real, rather more sophisticated, methods at your disposal.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#15    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,975 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 04 July 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

Well, exactly; throw them an obvious bug, like something out of a 1970s spy movie, and let them think that they've got that sorted, and then carry on eavesdropping on them by the real, rather more sophisticated, methods at your disposal.

More likely is: improvise what you can and it will last while it lasts.

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users