Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Coca-Cola: labelling Ingredients

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

Wasn´t really sure where to place this. Feel free to move to a more appropriate section if necessary :)

I recognize that companies have certain rights to not disclose their "secret ingredients". That being said, I picked up a can of coke (I live in Mexico) and looked at the list of ingredients. They are:
  • carbonated water
  • sugars
  • coca-cola concentrate
I´m pretty sure that they used to include many of the other ingredients as well as the type(s) of sugar used. This just seems to be incredibly vague to me.

Just wondering if this is a "Mexico thing" or if it is the same in Northern or other countries. Thanks!

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,511 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

I dunno if it's just a Mexico thing. I know the U.S. ingredient list has more than that on it.

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,016 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

In Europe they are forced to show their principal ingredients, though not its amounts, according to a coke can it contains:

Water,
Sugar,
Carbonic acid
Food coloring E 150d (Sugar color)
Acidifier E 388 (Phosphoric acid)
Flavor agents
Aromatic caffeine

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,548 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

View Postrashore, on 03 July 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

I dunno if it's just a Mexico thing. I know the U.S. ingredient list has more than that on it.

What do they list? Thanks!

G.Clinton

#5    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,511 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

View Postjugoso, on 03 July 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

What do they list? Thanks!

Carbonated water
high fructose corn syrup
caramel color
phosphoric acid
natural flavors
caffeine

Edit: Coke Zero has a different list of ingredients than regular Coke.

Edited by rashore, 03 July 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#6    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,300 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

Just drinking a can of coca cola now, here are the ingredients exactly as stated on tin:
carbonated water
sugar
colour (caramel E150d)
phosphoric acid
natural flavourings including caffeine

Oh and the can - metal.
So looks like it depends on where it is produced and what they can be bothered to put on it, or what they can get away with not putting on it.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,300 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

View Postrashore, on 03 July 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Carbonated water
high fructose corn syrup
caramel color
phosphoric acid
natural flavors
caffeine
HUH! we just got sugar in ours, I WANT high fructose corn syrup!Posted Image

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#8    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,016 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 03 July 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

HUH! we just got sugar in ours, I WANT high fructose corn syrup!Posted Image

Not very legal in Europe due to the fattening properties (and therefore a health risk) of the stuff.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#9    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,300 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 03 July 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

Not very legal in Europe due to the fattening properties (and therefore a health risk) of the stuff.
Oh yeah of course. Will have to stick with the healthier "sugar" option instead.

Posted Image

#10    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,016 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 03 July 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

Oh yeah of course. Will have to stick with the healthier "sugar" option instead.

Posted Image

Think sugar on steroids, and you still fall short. (but the stuff sure is cheap when made out of corn).

about me

#11    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,511 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

Free, you come up with some of the cutest emotes.

HFCS sucks. I know of some folks that look for Coke in the ethnic aisle, usually Mexico Coke, because it has real sugar. It comes in smaller glass bottles instead of the bigger plastic ones normally found in the U.S..
Though this thread makes me kind of wonder if what is bottled and thought of as Mexico Coke here is actually the same stuff they sell in Mexico or not!

#12    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,548 posts

G.Clinton

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:26 PM

View Postrashore, on 03 July 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

Free, you come up with some of the cutest emotes.

HFCS sucks. I know of some folks that look for Coke in the ethnic aisle, usually Mexico Coke, because it has real sugar. It comes in smaller glass bottles instead of the bigger plastic ones normally found in the U.S..
Though this thread makes me kind of wonder if what is bottled and thought of as Mexico Coke here is actually the same stuff they sell in Mexico or not!

That´s interesting! I just assumed that Mexico used HFCS but it seems that cane sugar is cheaper here so it makes sense that they would use it. And yes, it is nice that the smaller cokes come in glass bottles (although small plastic coke is available at a slightly higher price).
As an aside, I grew up in small town Ontario, Canada. Our claim to fame was that we had the only Hershey chocolate factory outside of Canada. I always wondered why and figured that it may have been because of trade tariffs or something like that. When I was back there a number of years ago, I asked a friend of mine who worked there why they maintained the plant. He explained to me that because of the US trade restrictions with Cuba, they couldn´t import their sugar. However, we could and so the main job of the factory was to import sugar from Cuba, use it to make HUGE slabs of chocolate, and then send it to Hershey Pennsylvania where it was processed into bars. The plant closed down about 5 years ago and moved to Monterrey, Mexico. The chocolate just doesn´t taste as good IMO.

Edited by jugoso, 03 July 2013 - 10:30 PM.

G.Clinton

#13    magebane

magebane

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:36 AM

I'm having a Diet Coke Distributed in Australia the ingredients are;

Carbonated Water,
Flavour