Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where did the name - America come from?

Beckys_Mom

With today being July 4th, I thought of something...( Well more or less is as its now after 2am my time lol )

I heard this come up on a quiz show on TV recently.. One person said it was - Amerigo Vesspucci and another said - Richard Ameryk.

So I Googled it...I soon found this....

http://wiki.answers....erica_come_from

A couple of sites give two different answers...

So, the question is... Where do you believe the name America came from?

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I have no idea and some authority will need to address the question. One thing, though, is I am glad the continents aren't named after Columbus, even though technically they should be. That man was a brutal tyrant.

• Like 3

America has a godless and her name is Columbia.

Unrelated but at the fall of Granada, the King and Queen of Spain were there to watch it and so was Christopher Columbus. This marked the end of the reconquista of the entire Iberian peninsula and driving out the last of the Moorish rulers. Soon after that, like a machine of conquest that once started cannot be turned off, the conquest of America began with Columbus sailing off to find India.

Edited by The world needs you

With today being July 4th, I thought of something...( Well more or less is as its now after 2am my time lol )

I heard this come up on a quiz show on TV recently.. One person said it was - Amerigo Vesspucci and another said - Richard Ameryk.

So I Googled it...I soon found this....

http://wiki.answers....erica_come_from

A couple of sites give two different answers...

So, the question is... Where do you believe the name America came from?

You should be searching for " United States of America ".......Not " America ".

Unless I am wrong, but the 4th is our Birthday, so figured you mean us.

Or is it :

United States

The United States

The United States of America

America

U.S.

U.S.A.

North Mexico ( I say this one soon )

Hell, now I do not even know.....

But, you could read this :

http://www.uhmc.suny...ery/broome.html

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 3

It was the map maker amerigo, who signed his map.

The united states came from the thirteen nations after the colonies won there war. They decided they needed each other to stay out of englands clutches. It took twelve years to come up with our constitution and one more year to come up with our bill of rights. *snip*

Sorry I went on a rant here. Could the mods move this to a new thread for me and delete the part where I went off topic.

Edited by Paranoid Android
Fixed off-topic rant
  • Like 3

You should be searching for " United States of America ".......Not " America ".

Unless I am wrong, but the 4th is our Birthday, so figured you mean us.

Or is it :

United States

The United States

The United States of America

America

U.S.

U.S.A.

North Mexico ( I say this one soon )

Hell, now I do not even know.....

South Canada? (Hey, I can get away with that. I'm a 1/4 Oregonian! Edit: North Fork of the John Day River, Grandpa emigrated in 1929.)

Actually, up here, we just call you guys "The States".

Happy Birthday anyways from your many friends in "North America's Fridge". (It was 32 degrees here today.) :)

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 3

Sorry I went on a rant here. Could the mods move this to a new thread for me and delete the part where I went off topic.

Use the report button :)

South Canada? (Hey, I can get away with that. I'm a 1/4 Oregonian!)

Actually, up here, we just call you guys "The States".

Happy Birthday anyways from your many friends in "North America's Fridge". (It was 32 degrees here today.) :)

I meant to put South Canada....Crap, forgot.

Love Canada myself :)

Happy belated Birthday!

• Like 1

I don't have a report button. Just quotes and edit.

• Like 1

I learned the Amerigo Vespucci version of history :)

• Like 4

It would be weird, but 'I could report you', if you wish.

Must be using the mobile version?

Click the "Full Version" button at the very bottom of the page and you will see then see the report button.

Martin Waldseemüller map from 1507 is first map to use the name "America". 5 years before Ponce de Leon came in America.

• Like 1

Amerigo Vespucci is certainly what my text books taught US.

• Like 2

I have no idea and some authority will need to address the question. One thing, though, is I am glad the continents aren't named after Columbus, even though technically they should be. That man was a brutal tyrant.

There are a few places that still are named after the guy. Even a country.

• Like 1

Amerigo Vespucci is certainly what my text books taught US.

And the most likely candidate. But we will never know. Maybe somebody should have asked the natives just as we did almost everywhere else when looking for a suitable name (yes, there are other exceptions, mostly corrected by history now)

• Like 1

In school ,we were taught Amerigo Vespucci . I've never heard of any other source of the name .

• Like 2

Wherever it came from, I'm glad it did because MERCA fits so much better on a baseball cap than LUMBIA does.

• Like 1

I've read an old account that there could possibly be a Norse connection to the name, since the name apparently appears before Amerigo arrived in America. Ill have to see if I can dig that source up later. :) cheers

• Like 1

Who coined 'United States of America'? Mystery might have intriguing answer

Historians have long tried to pinpoint exactly when the name 'United States of America' was first used and by whom. A new find suggests the man might have been George Washington himself.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2013/0704/Who-coined-United-States-of-America-Mystery-might-have-intriguing-answer/%28page%29/2

• Like 2

I don't know who coined it. I know in the late eightteen hundreds they tried to change it to the united states of the world.

Yea -- that is a problem. Why do countries in their "official" names have to be so long. Why can't it be, "New Zealand" rather than "the Commonwealth of New Zealand" (or whatever it really is). Some countries regally get peculiar and bizarre that way, like "Cote d'Ivoire" or "The People's Republic of Vietnam." "Britain" should surely be enough instead of, "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland."

The US is a particular problem since Canada and Mexico and Brazil and so on are all "America." I vote for "Yankeeland."

• Like 1

We could have been the Confederate States of America.

After our Independence we called ourselves Freedonians so could have also been Fredon or some variant of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedonia

Usono is what we are called in Epseranto. A language which Hitler hated fyi.

Atlantis is a pretty name.

The Progressive States of Columbia works for me.

Not everyone is open to alternative names but for the few who are what can you guys come up with as in names we could have been? Or could still be?

Edited by The world needs you

Not everyone is open to alternative names but for the few who are what can you guys come up with as in names we could have been? Or could still be?

The Divided States of America

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 2