Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Humans could eventually grow beaks

humans grow beaks dr gareth fraser

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

View PostGirlfromOz, on 06 July 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

I also would personally like to know why we haven't evolved to grow a third row of teeth.Obviously we have the lifespan that outgrows the second teeth.

That is not "obvious" at all, that is only the result of modern technology and medicine, which is only a couple of decades old. Between the needs of gathering food, outrunning predators, and dying of disease, our ancesters hardly ever outlived their teeth.

Got another question of that calibre, or are you just practising your trolling skills?

Edited by Zaphod222, 11 July 2013 - 06:20 PM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#47    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:47 AM

Just to underline what I said before:

http://www.theguardi...ot-having-kids?

Our evolutionary future is not one with beaks or other miraculous encoutrements, it is a very dumb one.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#48    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Poltergeist

• 2,434 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 08 August 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

Just to underline what I said before:

http://www.theguardi...ot-having-kids?

Our evolutionary future is not one with beaks or other miraculous encoutrements, it is a very dumb one.

i always knew that "idiocracy" is not a comedy, but an accurate outlook into humanity's future.....

#49    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

Can't happen. Firstly we are a higher species than birds. That means going backwards. Most importantly technology exists to replace teeth. My dad survived throat cancer but the chemotherapy made his teeth chalk. No problem, rip out all the old teeth and replace the lot. Yes this will take money but technology will make it easier and cheaper long before this bizarre theory coin d happen. Besides, I need lips to talk, kiss etc.

#50    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

What I can't figure is why in the world we would want to have beaks.  Secondly, what natural selection pressures would possibly lead in that direction.

If there are answers to these, it would nevertheless take much longer than a million years for such a thing to happen.  We were homo erectus for the most part a million years ago, not much different from now.  Evolution of things like beaks takes much longer periods of time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users