Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Third of families take holidays in term time

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

• Family holidays can rise by over £1,000 once schools break for summer
  • Parents can be fined £60 a child for 'unauthorised absence' in term time
  • Family trip to Disneyland Paris is £400 more if taken during official break
View: Read more

When I was a school governor at our local primary, our head would always grant 10 days off school, if you wrote to him and gave him more than a few weeks notice, explaining the situation and he always maintained most holidays had educational value to young children anyway.

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,338 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

Allowing all state schools in England to set their own term times could cause "chaos" for families booking holidays, a teachers' union is warning.
Plans were announced on Monday to allow all schools to vary term dates, a right already held by academies.
http://www.bbc.co.uk...cation-23145179

Well this should stop the 60 quid fines.

Wonder what the travel agencies will do with this, just keep the prices high all year round?

#3    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,382 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

View Postxsas, on 04 July 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

When I was a school governor at our local primary, our head would always grant 10 days off school, if you wrote to him and gave him more than a few weeks notice, explaining the situation and he always maintained most holidays had educational value to young children anyway.
When I was in school my parents always took their holidays during school term. They had to due to work, they had no choice when they could go. My mum always asked permission from the school headmaster first and it was never a problem. Two weeks holiday every year it was and it didn't do me or my brother any harm to be absent during term time.

Posted Image

#4    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 04 July 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

When I was in school my parents always took their holidays during school term. They had to due to work, they had no choice when they could go. My mum always asked permission from the school headmaster first and it was never a problem. Two weeks holiday every year it was and it didn't do me or my brother any harm to be absent during term time.

Back in my day parents had only designated weeks off each year and that dictated when we could go on holiday, it was always in term times although we couldn't afford holidays on a regular basis.

I have never taken my kids out of school to holiday, it didn't feel right to me.

Posted Image

#5    Arbenol

Arbenol

Poltergeist

• 2,254 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

The school my kids attend have no problem with them taking holidays during term time. Whilst I wouldn't say they actively encourage it, they acknowledge it as something of a learning opportunity.

When my brother visited earlier this year, his son missed a fair bit of school in the UK. They were fine with it. He did a couple of little projects on New Zealand whilst he was here and e-mailed them to his teacher.

#6    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 04 July 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

Allowing all state schools in England to set their own term times could cause "chaos" for families booking holidays, a teachers' union is warning.
Plans were announced on Monday to allow all schools to vary term dates, a right already held by academies.
http://www.bbc.co.uk...cation-23145179

Well this should stop the 60 quid fines.

Wonder what the travel agencies will do with this, just keep the prices high all year round?
to beat the prices low, buy a year before

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,338 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 04 July 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

to beat the prices low, buy a year before
Too late for that, now this news is out the travel agents will be keeping their upped prices....upped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users