Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Not for spectators

death denial of death oblivion afterlife

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 3,175 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:08 AM

Sorry, Mark, didn't mean to jump on you, you're one of the guys who wear a white hat. I get so tired of the I'm right and you're wrong mentality, with quotes from this, that, or another thing to bolster their arguments. Whatever happened to the live and let live philosophy? And why are some people so insistent that others share their reality, as if it were the only possible and sane choice? People slice & dice & divide one another like they're Karl Rove acolytes. Hokay, done with my rant.

#17    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:36 AM

I think people in general, are afraid of a lot of things, death included, but it's clear to me that not every single person fears death. I think the fear of death is a cultural construct, created by the prevailing thinking of the past, both distant and recent, handed down through the generations and then instilled into the new generation as they are developing in the world. And there are people, I think, too, who, through forming an understanding about their own human nature, challenge their fear until they reach a point of understanding and so learn to accept death as a natural part of this great dynamic known as life, and so, in a sense, they conquer the current death concept within themselves and thus the associated fear also. You only have to say the word 'death' and all sorts of images, memories and feelings start flooding into the mind, all of them ephemeral and transient with no actual substance at all - just mere thoughts and feelings which soon pass anyway.

For me, what happens after we die? I don't know and it doesn't trouble me because, one thing I do know is, we are all going to find out eventually, regardless. And if there is a continuum of sorts, then conquer the fear in the here and now, so hopefully you wont take that with you into the next stage of...life. That's where I am with the whole thing. :)

#18    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:59 AM

View Postmarkdohle, on 04 July 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

I just saw a clip on the internet that deals with how some atheist look at death and the afterlife.  Of course they all said that they did not fear death.  In fact in our day it seems to be in vogue with just about everyone.  >>snip

If someone actively fights against aging, I believe that is one way of dealing with their fear of death.  Making money, lots of it, becoming famous, or just filling ones life with lots of ‘things’ to do, is a way of not thinking about the shortness of our lives and the speed in which our time here passes.

Of course there are different answers, but existential questions should be asked by any serious person.

Here's one answer, I don't agree with it, but I acknowledge the importance of asking the questions.

Edited by redhen, 09 July 2013 - 03:59 AM.

#19    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,584 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

I think people in general, are afraid of a lot of things, death included, but it's clear to me that not every single person fears death. I think the fear of death is a cultural construct, created by the prevailing thinking of the past, both distant and recent, handed down through the generations and then instilled into the new generation as they are developing in the world. And there are people, I think, too, who, through forming an understanding about their own human nature, challenge their fear until they reach a point of understanding and so learn to accept death as a natural part of this great dynamic known as life, and so, in a sense, they conquer the current death concept within themselves and thus the associated fear also. You only have to say the word 'death' and all sorts of images, memories and feelings start flooding into the mind, all of them ephemeral and transient with no actual substance at all - just mere thoughts and feelings which soon pass anyway.

For me, what happens after we die? I don't know and it doesn't trouble me because, one thing I do know is, we are all going to find out eventually, regardless. And if there is a continuum of sorts, then conquer the fear in the here and now, so hopefully you wont take that with you into the next stage of...life. That's where I am with the whole thing.

Good post, thank you.  However, we do have the instinct to survive and fear is one of the responses when our life is threatened.  I do agree that people have different responses to fear; age helps I believe to lessen fear, at least from my experience of working with the elderly.  Yet they will do whatever it takes to survive longer.  We can repress our fear of death until it is actually a reality that is placed in front of us.  I also think you are right about the images of death that can develop in all cultures that can complicate matters.

Sort of like people who say they smoke and are not worried about getting cancer, for we all have to die of something.  I have never met anyone who is that sanguine when they get the news.....some quit smoking, but often too late.  Of course my experience is limited.

peace
mark

Edited by markdohle, 09 July 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#20    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,050 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

Religion or no religion, I think we call all agree that level of 'the fear of death' would certainly change if we knew how we were going to die.
If I knew I was going to die peacefully in my sleep, I have absolutely no fear of that.
If I was going to be burned to death or tortured to death I'm pretty sure I'd be afraid then.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#21    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

Iv almost died a couple of times when I was younger, due to pneumonia complicated problems had to be hospitalized, But I don't actually fear death, I mean I don't go looking for it either.  But as far as that goes I don't have kids or really anybody that depends on me, so I know a lot of parents give that reason as to why there afraid to die. Iv actually been to a LOT of funerals, and I don't cry.  I mean maybe if it is someone from my immediate family like my grandma or mom or one of my aunts I'm close to Ill cry then.  But so far no tears have slipped.  I don't know if that's weird or not but there's just nothing there.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#22    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,584 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 10 July 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

Iv almost died a couple of times when I was younger, due to pneumonia complicated problems had to be hospitalized, But I don't actually fear death, I mean I don't go looking for it either.  But as far as that goes I don't have kids or really anybody that depends on me, so I know a lot of parents give that reason as to why there afraid to die. Iv actually been to a LOT of funerals, and I don't cry.  I mean maybe if it is someone from my immediate family like my grandma or mom or one of my aunts I'm close to Ill cry then.  But so far no tears have slipped.  I don't know if that's weird or not but there's just nothing there.

I thilnk we all mourn differently.  I have been with a lot of death, it is in my line of work.  People I take care, so when they die it does affect me....but I seldom mourn the way other do.  I withdraw for awhile, need time to myself, until things retrun to normal.  A hole that was once full, is empty, so it does take time to get used to that inner presence that is gone.

peace
mark

#23    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

View Postmarkdohle, on 11 July 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

I thilnk we all mourn differently.  I have been with a lot of death, it is in my line of work.  People I take care, so when they die it does affect me....but I seldom mourn the way other do.  I withdraw for awhile, need time to myself, until things retrun to normal.  A hole that was once full, is empty, so it does take time to get used to that inner presence that is gone.

peace
mark
Yeah I remember going to funerals and literally everybody crying at some point, and I didn't, my ex girlfriend when we were going out went to one with me and even she started crying. She thought it was odd that I didn't, and don't get me wrong its not a trying to be tough thing I just didn't feel anything that made me feel  even close to wanting to cry

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x, 11 July 2013 - 05:10 PM.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users