Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Venezuela Offers Asylum to Snowden

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,757 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

NY Times said:

President Nicolás Maduro of Venezuela said Friday that he would offer asylum to the fugitive intelligence contractor Edward J. Snowden, who has been stranded in a Moscow airport searching for a safe haven.

“I have decided to offer humanitarian asylum to the young American Edward Snowden,” Mr. Maduro said during a televised appearance at a military parade marking Venezuela’s independence day.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

Why does he not help the country to get back on its feet? inflation is high, food shortages and too many Cuban doctors.

#3    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

Venezuela is last resort.  They are dredging the barrel.

#4    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,147 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

Well, naturally they would. he obviously wants to carry on the legacy of Chavez of being #1 South American Irritant of Uncle Sam, it certainly seemed to make Chavez popular enough, and perhaps served as an effective distraction from the way he handled the Economy. It's a winning formula, particularly as, like Ecuador and Bolivia and everywhere else, Uncle Sam couldn't do a thing about it without people screaming "GLOBAL BULLY!!!".

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,200 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

maybe they just want him to hand over to Uncle Barak.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,757 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

Update, Nicaragua joined in offering asylum:

http://www.telegraph...den-asylum.html

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,993 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

He will probably just have to take up residence in their embassy because I don't see him making it to their countries.

#8    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,757 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

View PostHilander, on 06 July 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

He will probably just have to take up residence in their embassy because I don't see him making it to their countries.

Russia is big, has many borders and the NSA not enough people to watch them all. That is the smallest of his problems.

about me

#9    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 06 July 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

Well, naturally they would. he obviously wants to carry on the legacy of Chavez of being #1 South American Irritant of Uncle Sam, it certainly seemed to make Chavez popular enough, and perhaps served as an effective distraction from the way he handled the Economy. It's a winning formula, particularly as, like Ecuador and Bolivia and everywhere else, Uncle Sam couldn't do a thing about it without people screaming "GLOBAL BULLY!!!".

That is largely because the US actually IS the global bully, the global villain, as the French have already pointed out.  By its actions, the US is the World Terrorist.  Hugely ironic, I agree, and most Orwellian, but the simple truth.  The Global 800 pound Gorilla has major body odor, and people are beginning to talk about it in public.

#10    SolarPlexus

SolarPlexus

Warrior of Light

• Banned
  • 4,200 posts

• .....This moment contains all moments.....

...You dont have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.....

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

Not surprising as Latin America and the US never had good relations. They are still idealists and don't care about Uncle Sam or profit. Nice people.

Edited by SolarPlexus, 06 July 2013 - 05:04 PM.

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual."
Galileo Galilei
Posted Image
"Who never walks save where he sees men's tracks makes no discoveries."J.G. Holland

#11    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,147 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

View PostSolarPlexus, on 06 July 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

Not surprising as Latin America and the US never had good relations. They are still idealists and don't care about Uncle Sam or profit. Nice people.
Except perhaps Augusto Pinochet, Leopoldo Galitieri, Juan Perón ...

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#12    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostSolarPlexus, on 06 July 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

Yeah nice people untill they reject your opinions with bribes

#13    SolarPlexus

SolarPlexus

Warrior of Light

• Banned
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 06 July 2013 - 06:53 PM, said:

Except perhaps Augusto Pinochet, Leopoldo Galitieri, Juan Perón ...

Man, people like Pinochet and Noriega were put there by Americans. The "good relations" with America during those times were merely superficial and fragile due to political instability and the will of the people who never liked Uncle Sam. Eventually Americans lost control over Pinochet who proved as much a trouble to remove, as it was to bring him to power which is really funny.

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual."
Galileo Galilei
Posted Image
"Who never walks save where he sees men's tracks makes no discoveries."J.G. Holland

#14    Avatar Samantha Ai

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,746 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

Whatever the case Venezuela has issues with American imperialism. Well you know what, plenty of us progressives have issues with our foreign policy too but we are not going to abandon our nation, defect, and oppose America from the distant lands of a foreign and antagonistic power!

Instead we work within the system to bring about gradual change. So much progress has been made since the Panama Canal days and we began installing dictators in banana republics. We are no longer living in the Iran-Contra era. Our policies with Central and South America has vastly improved. Human rights issues are no where like they were with death squads on peasants like they were before.

If Snowden wants to side with them against American imperialism that just makes him a double traitor in my book. First for illegally divulging to foreign powers our classified information he swore to protect and secondly for aligning himself with those whose rhetoric rails against the ghosts of American imperialism. It just does not exist anymore to that degree. It is hot in South America, they do have democracies, better hope that they do not vote in a government that is on friendlier terms with us as Caprilles would have been, because it is so hot in South America he will see his turncoat won't be of any use to him there in time.

#15    SolarPlexus

SolarPlexus

Warrior of Light

• Banned
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

View PostThe world needs you, on 07 July 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

If Snowden wants to side with them against American imperialism that just makes him a double traitor in my book.

Funny thing this. When a man exposes the Orwellian state for what it is and warns the people then he's a traitor :D

Galileo Galilei
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users