Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Boeing 777 Crash lands in San Francisco

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

View PostRaptor Witness, on 07 July 2013 - 03:21 AM, said:

I heard one pilot say today, "out of altitude, out of ideas," a common phrase they use in this rare situation.

It looks like someone's 777's ran out, by coming up a little short of the runway.

Of course it's too early to tell, but this accident is similar to the BA 777 landing in London last year after a long flight from Asia or Africa.  The engines went to flight idle and would not respond to throttle inputs.

We will see fairly quickly.  If that's the case, the pilot did a great job, given the cards he was dealt.

#17    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

Ironically the numbers - 777 are said to be lucky...!!!

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#18    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 8,319 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

The glide slope system was off line so it looks like they had to do a visuals only landing which is perfectly normal and common place but several passengers reported that  way to low over the water.  All of these factors  would seem to reenforce the idea that the plane hit the sea wall, knocking its tail off.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens

#19    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,085 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

I would say: lets wait for the black box evaluation, after that we will know. As is we have about 1:100 being right.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#20    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 8,319 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 07 July 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

I would say: lets wait for the black box evaluation, after that we will know. As is we have about 1:100 being right.

Better than 1 in 100.  It is clear that the aircraft impacted the sea wall thereby knocking the tail section off but we can only speculate, at this time, about why it hit the sea wall and that will be either an explosion or mechanical failure in-close or pilot error.

Edited by Merc14, 07 July 2013 - 01:53 PM.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens

#21    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,670 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 07 July 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

Of course it's too early to tell, but this accident is similar to the BA 777 landing in London last year after a long flight from Asia or Africa.  The engines went to flight idle and would not respond to throttle inputs.

We will see fairly quickly.  If that's the case, the pilot did a great job, given the cards he was dealt.

Exactly. Not willing to throw the pilot under the bus at this stage of the investigation. It could very well be a thrust issue.

"For whatever reason, the pilot did not have enough power available to correct the rate of descent that brought him into contact with the ground before he wanted to be there," Jim Tilmon, an aviation expert and former airline pilot, told CNN.

"There are a number of other considerations that may or may not have been made clear: One of them has to do with the fact that at least on one other occasion -- with a [Boeing] 777 in London -- they were on approach to land and they also ended up landing short. It's my understanding that it was all because of a fuel situation. For one reason or another, the throttles were moving but the engines were not increasing their thrust. Therefore they landed short of the runway and short of the power they needed to continue with a safe landing."

Expert: Flight 214 'should never have been close to hitting seawall'

#22    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

Environmentally Friendly

• 29,264 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 07 July 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

View PostMerc14, on 07 July 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

Better than 1 in 100.  It is clear that the aircraft impacted the sea wall thereby knocking the tail section off but we can only speculate, at this time, about why it hit the sea wall and that will be either an explosion or mechanical failure in-close or pilot error.
Yes, I'm not sure what the other 99 possibiltes might be, but it's fairly obvious what happened, the only question is, pilot error or technical fault (with the instruments, navigation systems, some error of fault with ATC sustems or whatever)

View PostBabe Ruth, on 07 July 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

Of course it's too early to tell, but this accident is similar to the BA 777 landing in London last year after a long flight from Asia or Africa. The engines went to flight idle and would not respond to throttle inputs.

We will see fairly quickly. If that's the case, the pilot did a great job, given the cards he was dealt.
or indeed, yes, that's something that occurred to me as well.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 07 July 2013 - 02:43 PM.

Somebody will say, 'Oh freedom of speech, freedom of speech.' These are foolish people."

~ D. Trump.

“You are going to hear all the familiar complaints: ‘freedom of speech,’ ” Mrs. Clinton said in an hourlong speech

#23    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 8,319 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

Although in Aviation Mishap School they always cautioned us to gather all the evidence before even guessing at a cause.  That said, they have the aircrew, they have the black boxes, they have multiple expert eyewitnesses (pilots waiting for takeoff, tower personnel) and tehy have the aircraft and runway damage so within a week they should have a preliminary.

#24    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,891 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

THe VASI lights were off on that runway,the ILS was off,THe Pilots could of actually miss judged the  threshold and slamed into the sea wall at there alt !
IMO.

This is a Work in Progress!

#25    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,621 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:43 AM

The plane is reported to of been going too slow and there was a request for a go around.

http://www.cbsnews.c...-abort-landing/

Possibility rescuer's ran over one victim.

http://www.cbsnews.c...e-crash-victim/

#26    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,133 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:06 AM

It has the sure signs of the flying turtle causing down draft. It is known the TSA have flying turtles, and have felt they have been over criticized, over worked, and they do not like short people.

My bet is on the flying turtle.

Serious note, glad this was not a massive crash, killing over 300 people. 2 is bad enough, and the injuries, but it could have been far worse.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#27    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

You need to read this. http://www.theatlant...o-crash/277563/

Here are some interesting comments from pilots who either witnessed the crash or watched the video.  It appears that one of the pilots had only 44 hours on the B777.  I wasn't aware of the "slam dunk" landing style that has to be employed at SFO.  I think I'll be flying into San Jose in the future.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#28    Arbenol

Arbenol

Poltergeist

• 2,145 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostRafterman, on 08 July 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

Here are some interesting comments from pilots who either witnessed the crash or watched the video.  It appears that one of the pilots had only 44 hours on the B777.  I wasn't aware of the "slam dunk" landing style that has to be employed at SFO.  I think I'll be flying into San Jose in the future.

I thought the last comment was interesting. I hadn't noticed it in the photos but after a terrifying crash and the fear and realisation of fire - how many passengers managed to retrieve their hand luggage before evacuating. The mind boggles as to how costly that could have been.

#29    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostRafterman, on 08 July 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

Oh man, they should have brought Hani The Magnificent out of retirement, eh? He could have flown that approach perfectly, even with no time in type.

And now it seems pretty likely that the crew really screwed the pooch on that approach.  Bummer.

#30    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,779 posts

• ראה

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

Here's the CNN exclusive. I wonder how much this guy got paid for this. It's got to be worth some serious cash, having exclusive footage long before we'll ever see anything official from the feds.

I think the FTSB said it could be up to two years before they make up their minds what happened.

It's one giant body with an itsy bitsy brain at work, a dinosaur waiting on a meteor to hit.

Edited by Raptor Witness, 08 July 2013 - 01:39 PM.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users