Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

Ever been in life threatening situation?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

I'm almost seventy years old and have lived in Vietnam most of that time  Add it up

#17    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,146 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

View Postthe L, on 07 July 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

I hope everything will be good.

Malignent Melanoma....Stage 2 skin cancer....:(

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#18    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 14,698 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

when training for a canoe race we hit a stingray that was roughling the size of Tasmania. in the race we were almost hit by a ferry.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#19    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostSakari, on 10 July 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

Malignent Melanoma....Stage 2 skin cancer.... :(

Stay positive. You will overcome this threat as you did one you mentioned. :tu:
Its your body signal to change your way of life.
Its symptome not origin of illness. Illness is your life.
Be brave. Change way you eat, sleep. remove stress. Dont go to work. You dont need to show anyone how strong are you except to yourself. Stop smoking and drinking. Exercise. Spent time with family. Laugh. Go on walk with dear person.

And ofcourse listen the doctor.

Edited by the L, 10 July 2013 - 12:13 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#20    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 10 July 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

when training for a canoe race we hit a stingray that was roughling the size of Tasmania. in the race we were almost hit by a ferry.

Thats first time I ever heard someone was almost hit by ferry.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#21    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Poltergeist

• 2,410 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

i was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around my neck and me turning blue already....luckily no sharks involved, though.

#22    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

Faced armed drunks with loaded weapons, been slashed with a knife trying to subdue a suspect.
Almost took a 12 gauge 'friendly-fire' shot to the head while conducting a building sweep. (I saw nothing 'friendly' about it  :no:  )
Was 50' from a head-on with a small commuter jet while I was driving 5,000 gallons of AvGas. ( Pilot told to turn LEFT on runway, turned RIGHT onto apron instead)
Trapped in a car in a twenty foot deep drainage ditch, after being run off the road by a drunk driver.
Stepped outside my office for a smoke, just before the back wall of the building exploded.

Oh, WTC 9-11-2001.

Yes, I think I have been in a life threatening situation.  What of it?

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#23    magnoliaReverie

magnoliaReverie

Poltergeist

• 2,930 posts

• In the end, we'll all become stories.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

Just one for me, which is plenty.
A friend and I came close to drowning together when we were 13.  We were swimming in the ocean in FL and thought it would be fun to see if we could swim out to the buoys. We were inexperienced swimmers, and after getting too tired and deciding to swim back,  we didn't realize that we were swimming against a current and got drug out farther.  

I don't know how long we were out there but it was the most exhausting I've ever felt. It was scary feeling your body get weaker and weaker, trying so hard to keep yourself up above the water but still swallowing more salt water with almost every breath.  And the moments that came, where giving in would have been soo easy.

Also, for a while there we were taking turns holding each other up on our backs above the water at the same time in an attempt to give the other person a bit of a rest, which only really added to our exhaustion.

The beach was so crowed too and no one noticed how far we were getting from the other swimmers or how much trouble we were having. I guess it's like they say, drowning doesn't look like drowning.

Eventually we were pulled closer to the shore where some people were fishing, and they came out as far as they could and helped us out of the water.  I slipped on some big rocks because my body was trembling so much and I could barely stand, so I got a huge bloody gash on my leg to top it all off. lol

#24    MacsMom

MacsMom

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

• Random crap that no one reads anyway

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostSakari, on 10 July 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

Malignent Melanoma....Stage 2 skin cancer.... :(

Oh, no!!!!  So sorry to hear that!!!  But stage 2 is better than stage 4.  Stay positive.  I know several people who have beaten melanoma with no residuals other than a scar where it was removed.  Hang in there, my friend!!!

Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along.  Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder where those years have gone?

#25    MacsMom

MacsMom

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

• Random crap that no one reads anyway

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

I was caught in a tornado at night while in my convertible.  Extremely terrifying not being able to see what's happening in the sky around you and not being able to get any radio transmission for updates.  But I was able to see the swaying streetlights and the traffic lights get blown to the ground.  Just knew I was a goner.

Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along.  Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder where those years have gone?

#26    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

Well of course I went through the war, including a few scary bombing raids and the loss of my entire family.  Just after the war ended I got orders to go to HCMC (then Saigon) on a special trip all by myself in my North Vietnamese Army Uniform.  I was very worried about how the people there would react, but they didn't seem to hold anything against me personally and was treated well enough.

#27    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,402 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

Infantry - so, yeah...

But my most dangerous moment came when my (then) wife asked me "do these pants make my butt look big - tell me the truth"...

#28    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:42 AM

So you looked her square in the eye...........

....... and lied your **** off.

Edited by JMPD1, 14 July 2013 - 03:42 AM.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#29    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,402 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:06 AM

View PostJMPD1, on 14 July 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

So you looked her square in the eye...........

....... and lied your **** off.

Nope - told the truth...  "No dear it does not" all the while thinking - 'it doesn't make your butt LOOK big because your butt IS big..."  ... Of course I never said that to her... - I might be crazy - but I'm not stupid!

Edited by Taun, 14 July 2013 - 04:07 AM.

#30    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 17,645 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:09 AM

View PostTaun, on 12 July 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

Infantry - so, yeah...

But my most dangerous moment came when my (then) wife asked me "do these pants make my butt look big - tell me the truth"...

*Pssst*.... :unsure2:  the best answer you can give is..".they don't show off your best asset"  and then proceed to tell her what that best asset is. But you didn't hear that from me. :tu:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users