Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Evil spirit cleansing scam rakes in millions

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,751 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:58 AM

View PostTimonthy, on 07 July 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

I still can't work out how they're allowed to operate off baseless claims/nothing proven in the history of mankind etc.

Yes, I thought that's the role of government, to protect it's citizens. Fortune telling, curse removals, astrology, and many other scams should be illegal. Consumer fraud comes to mind, and it should not be difficult to argue that case.

#17    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,226 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:29 AM

View PostJMPD1, on 07 July 2013 - 11:25 PM, said:

A psychic license?  Is it written on psychic paper?

Oh, and how come these folk never win the lottery, or the Belmont stakes?  Hmmmmm, one wonders.

Thse sort f scams have been going on as long as there have been people.  Oracles, seers, witches, psychics, roughly 99% of them are shills and cons.  The remainder are genuine, and usually keep a low profile.

That is what it says on the paper, psychic license.  I wish he would win the lottery then he would move away.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#18    -M7

-M7

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 145 posts

• Open your mind to new ideas. There can be something else in play.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:12 AM

Eh, could have seen that one coming.

#19    shrooma

shrooma

.goddamn sexual tyrannosaur.

• 2,984 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

i can't see what the problem is to be honest? if people want their evil spirits cleansed, why shouldn't they?
i mean, no-one wants a dirty evil spirit hanging around, funking up the place do they....?
:-)

sometimes, your signature is worth nothing at all.

#20    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:50 PM

As long as there are people to believe them, there will be such scams. It's a shame.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#21    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 3,926 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:59 AM

Oh, and how come these folk never win the lottery, or the Belmont stakes?  Hmmmmm, one wonders.

According to the "psychics" here on UM, they wouldn't ever DARE use their "gifts" for personal gain. Makes perfect sense.....

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#22    AtlantisRises

AtlantisRises

Oderint dum metuant

• 2,370 posts

• My time has not yet come either, Some are born post humously

Ecce homo
    Nietszche

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

I can do that. Give me your moneys.

Posted Image

#23    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,296 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:31 AM

Why can't we redefine 'demon' as a dark but natural part of human psyche? Why do we still have to believe that it is an actual supernatural entity?

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#24    Scheming B

Scheming B

Adapt to Survive

• 4,244 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:52 AM

Same reason we cant redefine business casual to mean shorts and sandals.

symbol-> referernt

Peace does nothing to test strength

#25    Avallaine

Avallaine

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:57 AM

These sort of scams have been going on as long as there have been people.

Sad but true.

Oracles, seers, witches, psychics, roughly 99% of them are shills and cons.  The remainder are genuine, and usually keep a low profile.

In my experience, only 5% (usually the ones charging the most and getting the most attention) are shills and cons, and the rest are sincere.  Of course, sincerity doesn't guarantee talent...nor does it guarantee a person can actually judge how much talent they, themselves, have.

I think we all have moments of psychic awareness at times.  I think we also all have moments of keen insight based on normal perception (that we're not consciously aware of) at times.  And I think we all have moments of thinking we have genuine insight (whether natural or super-natural) when we don't.  (And occasional moments when we think we don't, but we do.)

Probably (as with most matters of spirituality) the more awareness you achieve, the less interest you have in things like winning the lottery.  I've noticed that moments of genuine psychic talent seem to come more often the less fear you have...I've also noticed that a lot of people (me included) want money to allay their fears--fear of failure, of uncertainty, of the future, etc.  So perhaps by the time you've conquered your fears enough to achieve true psychic insight, you've just stopped caring that much about being rich.

A new Murphy's Law corollary: The ability to clairvoyantly see future lottery numbers is inversely proportional to one's desire to do so.

#26    Nik Xues

Nik Xues

The Still Wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

I believe all species already have a built in internet that psychics merely tap into.
As for evil spirits could they not be perceived as a form of computer virus or glitch.

True Scientists consider all possibilities until they have evidence stating otherwise.
the others are idiots simply waiting for proof of existence.

#27    xFelix

xFelix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

• Yea I'm Pagan, oh no!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

So basically, a group of bandits pretend to be psychics and literally steal jewelry/money as well as scam some away.. This must mean that all psychics ever are scammers and frauds.. great logic UM, you never cease to amaze me.

I hope the bandits get every single day in jail they deserve, but sitting there and discriminating against an entire belief system is no better than discriminating over a skin color or a gender. There are people with different beliefs than your own, get over it..

PS-Maybe it's time to stop discriminating against other groups all together as opposed to finding new groups to discriminate against?

My posts consist of my opinions, beliefs, and experiences, feel free to disagree in a respectful manner.

I have a right to my beleifs, just as you have a right to not agree with them.

So long as we respect each other's beliefs, we won't have a single problem.

#28    Avallaine

Avallaine

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:52 PM

I think there's a distinction to be made between "discriminating against" and "taking advantage of."  Not that they aren't both capable of doing terrible damage, of course...but they're still not exactly the same thing.

#29    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,535 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:34 PM

Two people engaging in commerce over a perceived good, with a voluntary exchange of money. This benefits both parties and the economy. Regulating something simply because you don't believe in it is wrong on so many levels. Cars kill more people than just about everything including children, so lets ban them, big pharm the same thing.

Stay out people's lives please.

Edited by White Crane Feather, 20 September 2013 - 08:37 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users