Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cosmic Dust Belts without Dust

debris disks dust belts kuiper belt planetary formation.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,144 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

Cosmic Dust Belts without Dust

International Research Team of Astrophysicists of Jena University Discovers Six Ultra-Cold Debris Disks

Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena said:

Planets and asteroids, red giants and brown dwarfs - there are all kinds of objects in our Universe. Debris disks are among them. These are belts consisting of countless dust particles and planetesimals, circling around one central star. "At least one fifth of stars are surrounded by dust belts like these," Prof. Dr. Alexander Krivov from the Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena explains. "They are the remains of the formation of planets, in which the unused, building materials are collected," the astrophysicist points out. Therefore debris disks are an important piece in the puzzle to be able to better understand the variety of planetary systems.

Posted Image Source

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,678 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

It seems odd to me that particles/objects within our own "dust cloud" can reach room temperature levels... I did not know they could do that... I thought they were all hovering around absolute zero or some such...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users